OBS Studio 23.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
We're getting close to a release for OBS Studio 23.0. Thanks so much for your feedback so far! It has proved very valuable.

Here is the release candidate for 23.0. This is your last chance to test things out and give feedback on the release before it goes live. The plan is to try to get a full release out in a week or so, depending on how the release candidate performs.

Patch notes and download links: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/23.0.0-rc2

As always, please give feedback on everything you can! You can also leave feedback in the #beta-testing channel on the Discord.

Known issues:
  • The service integration changes currently do not work on Mac or Linux.
    • For Linux, this is because we currently do not have a Linux-compatible version of the obs-browser source. We are aware of other browser source implementations that work on Linux, but we will need to fix the official obs-browser build with Linux before we can add the browser panels that perform the OAuth authorization and show stream chat. This is something we plan on addressing soon, but not in time for 23.0.
    • For Mac, unfortunately there are much more fundamental issues with rendering browser panels in Qt. To make a long story short, we encountered significant crashing issues trying to get browser panels working of Mac, and determined that fixing the issue could end up taking significant time to debug and fix, as the issue may lie in Qt itself. Thus, we're not certain at this time when we will be able to bring the service integration changes to Mac.
  • There's an occasional issue where the outline of hovered sources with the new source outline code won't disappear properly when exiting the preview. This should be resolve before release.
Edit (Jim): Release Candidate 2 has been released, fixing a number of issues:
  • Fixed a bug where there was a chance for a crash on shutdown
  • Fixed a crash when starting certain types of encoders before starting the new NVENC encoder
  • Fixed authentication from the Auto-Configuration dialog not initializing properly
  • Fixed a bug where there was a chance for the program to freeze up when stopping a new NVENC encoder
  • Fixed a number of race conditions and memory leaks, improving the programs overall stability
  • Psycho-Visual Tuning is now enabled by default as a test for RC2
  • Increased the default size of the Twitch "Stream Stats" panel so that affiliates/partners can see their subscriber count/points
  • New NVENC settings are no longer exposed to the older version of NVENC (for now)
  • Added a missing text string for the Remux recordings dialog
  • The slideshow source now will update when you press OK or Apply on its properties rather than when you modify any setting. This prevents the source from reloading its images on any change.
  • Removed unused 'help' icons from from the title bar of many various dialogs, both new and old

Last edited by a moderator:

laughinwhale

This includes the new NVENC settings we've been testing in the last Performance Improvements builds correct?

Edit: Nevermind, sorry, it does, just checked Github.

Last edited:

Overflow

OMG.. the new integration with twitch's elements like chat and twitch stats is AMAZING! This will reduce GPU and CPU resources usage? I mean, i usually had the pop out version of twitch chat in the second monitor, this implementation on OBS will reduce resourcers usage or it is like have a Chrome Tab opened?

Niamor

Is this possible to have the integration without using Twitch as a service?
I use custom but would love to have the Twitch integration.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Is this possible to have the integration without using Twitch as a service?
I use custom but would love to have the Twitch integration.
Can you explain more what you mean by this? You want to have embedded Twitch chat, but without authenticating to Twitch?

Niamor

Can you explain more what you mean by this? You want to have embedded Twitch chat, but without authenticating to Twitch?
Not exactly, I don't mind at all authenticating to Twitch, I did and it works just fine but what I'd like is selecting custom as a service for streaming and still be able to stay authenticated to Twitch to have access to the chat and dashboard Docks.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Not exactly, I don't mind at all authenticating to Twitch, I did and it works just fine but what I'd like is selecting custom as a service for streaming and still be able to stay authenticated to Twitch to have access to the chat and dashboard Docks.
Custom panels without enabling integration is something we'd like to do, but it won't be in v23 (we see no reason to delay it).

I guest stream on a developer's channel and currently can't add that channel's chat to OBS as I only have a key and can't login to the channel. There is no need to link to a Twitch channel to have access to that channel's chat. Right now I can only use the option when I am streaming on my own channel. If this is planned for a later release that's fine I guess.. I can keep the separate chat window for the time being..

GreenDragon0505

Hi

I have just installed this version and find the integration of Twitch and Mixer cool, but I stream through Restream.io and therefore I can not use it I hope it will work later regardless of the service you are logged in to continue with Restream.io stream and have the chat of Twitch and Mixer both displayed.

Jamb0t

Does stream deck not work with this version? I don't see it under the Tools tab.

Last edited:

Overflow

OMG.. the new integration with twitch's elements like chat and twitch stats is AMAZING! This will reduce GPU and CPU resources usage? I mean, i usually had the pop out version of twitch chat in the second monitor, this implementation on OBS will reduce resourcers usage or it is like have a Chrome Tab opened?
Can someone answer me on this question? It's really important for me. Thanks :)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I don't have any reason to expect that an embedded Twitch chat will have a noticeably different impact on CPU or GPU usage compared to having Twitch chat open in your browser.

AppleNorris

I don't have any reason to expect that an embedded Twitch chat will have a noticeably different impact on CPU or GPU usage compared to having Twitch chat open in your browser.
I think that there will be a big difference - almost every browser needs to load its core and plugins to display a window, and while doing that browser is going to hog a lot of RAM and even some CPU time. As an example:
I have 4 pages opened in a Firefox 65 and it's eating up to 2% CPU, 1GB of RAM and 117MB of VRAM - according to Windows 10's Task Manager (it may be a "bit" unaccurate about GPU RAM though). And I don't believe that it will be much easier on resources if I open just Twitch's or YT's chat popups.
OBS Studio 23.0.0 RC1 with 4 donation windows (2 unloaded), 1 chat, 1 stream information and 1 multimedia file- up to 5% CPU, 338MB of RAM and about 405MB of VRAM - still, it's according to the same TM.
For streamers with more than 16GB of RAM it might not be a problem to have such a high amount of RAM wasted on a browser, but on a middle-tier rigs with only 8GB it will be. This is why my friend usually opens his chat windows on a tablet, rather than on his second monitor.

Also, sorry if it's somewhat hard to understand what I am trying to say, english is not my first language.

ScaryRage

Output - >Advanced
Psycho Visual Tuning
look ahead
Can you explain in detail what these two functions mean?
Added new features to the new NVENC implementation:
  • Psycho-visual Tuning: Enables encoder settings that optimize the use of bitrate for increased perceived visual quality, especially in situations with high motion, at the cost of increased GPU utilization.
  • Look-ahead: Enables dynamic B-frames. If disabled, the encoder will always use the number of B-frames specified in the 'Max B-frames' setting. If enabled, it will increase visual quality by only using however many B-frames are necessary, up to the maximum, at the cost of increased GPU utilization.

Overflow

I think that there will be a big difference - almost every browser needs to load its core and plugins to display a window, and while doing that browser is going to hog a lot of RAM and even some CPU time. As an example:
I have 4 pages opened in a Firefox 65 and it's eating up to 2% CPU, 1GB of RAM and 117MB of VRAM - according to Windows 10's Task Manager (it may be a "bit" unaccurate about GPU RAM though). And I don't believe that it will be much easier on resources if I open just Twitch's or YT's chat popups.
OBS Studio 23.0.0 RC1 with 4 donation windows (2 unloaded), 1 chat, 1 stream information and 1 multimedia file- up to 5% CPU, 338MB of RAM and about 405MB of VRAM - still, it's according to the same TM.
For streamers with more than 16GB of RAM it might not be a problem to have such a high amount of RAM wasted on a browser, but on a middle-tier rigs with only 8GB it will be. This is why my friend usually opens his chat windows on a tablet, rather than on his second monitor.

Also, sorry if it's somewhat hard to understand what I am trying to say, english is not my first language.
That is what i was searching for. I have 16GB of RAM but is still better have solution like this for have minor resource usage impact :)

ntoff

Do you need to delete any previous obs configuration files? For me, the RC doesn't start maximised, although the maximise titlebar icon says it's maximised, and it doesn't remember any of the dock sizes. Is this a conflict between old and new configuration files or something else?

I have it installed outside of program files on windows 10 (didn't want to disturb the vanilla obs studio so I just extracted the RC zip file to a separate hard drive).

edit: Never mind, probably a messed up setting, I removed all the window settings from the global.ini file and now it saves the window position correctly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.