Question / Help OBS stops recording screen when i disconnect Remote Desktop

fuckmylife

Ok, i have lost few days and lot of nerves trying to resolve this issue.

the problem is i have created windows based live streaming 24/7 music server for live streaming on my youtube with rainmeter so i can visualise audio spectrum and cover and the track that is playing, i record portions of the windows screen when i did that using obs, but as soon as i disconnect from remote desktop (windows. teeamviewer whatever) - i use disconnect script so that the screen remains active (so that windows does not lock the screen) and i use OBS, OBS stops recording the screen and there is nothing shown just black screen with subscriber count and video background i set up directly in the loop. anyone know any workaround this or any other solutions to this other than using screen chapture, because elements in OBS works perfectly just not screens chapture? im getting quite desperate :(

fuckmylife

i said above i use batch script file to disconnect from remote desktop and keep user logged in and screen active, i have tried teamviewer same story. any suggestions on VNC to try?

koala

Rdp uses virtual gpu and virtual audio devices. It doesn't capture and transmit what is being rendered on the real GPU, it installs a virtual gpu instead, which sends its rendering data through the rdp connection. It's the same with the audio device.
OBS stops, because in the moment of disconnect Windows removes the virtual rdp GPU and the virtual rdp audio device you use while connected via rdp.
Vnc (or Teamviewer) doesn't install a virtual GPU. They capture the real GPU and send the video data through the vnc connection. If you disconnect a vnc session, you just cut the line and the video and audio rendering isn't changed, so OBS will continue to run.

Of course, vnc will work only for physical machines with physical GPUs, not hosted virtual machines running in some remote data center.