Question / Help OBS stops detecting audio when I change my default audio device.

Eso

I have the input device set to Default for OBS Desktop Audio, but whenever I switch my audio device in Windows 10 it stops detecting audio until I manually change the device properties in OBS. Is this a bug? I was surprised to not find any other threads about it. How can I fix this?

https://streamable.com/vaj9c

I have a similar issue with the Mix/Aud input. But when I switch the default input default instead of recording nothing OBS just continues using the original input device (even with Default selected). Going to the OBS audio properties and switching back and fourth fixes this like I showed in the clip for the output device.

Last edited:

DEDRICK

Not a bug per-say, more of a quirk.

Same thing happens if you change from Stereo to 7.1 on the same device, or change the sample rate, it needs to re-initialize the sound device. Some applications handle this better, some applications shit the bed, some are somewhere in-between.

Rule of thumb is don't change major sound device settings while the device is in use. The "Default" is more for convenience, it's not so you can switch defaults on the fly while something is currently hooked to the device.

Eso

Not a bug per-say, more of a quirk.

Same thing happens if you change from Stereo to 7.1 on the same device, or change the sample rate, it needs to re-initialize the sound device. Some applications handle this better, some applications shit the bed, some are somewhere in-between.

Rule of thumb is don't change major sound device settings while the device is in use. The "Default" is more for convenience, it's not so you can switch defaults on the fly while something is currently hooked to the device.

Hmm okay. I have a hotkey to swap the Windows audio device between headphones and speakers quickly since I do that often.

Does anyone know if OBS plugins would be able to toggle the audio input device back and forth with a global hotkey? I might try making something for that if it would be possible.

dighawaii

Did you ever figure this out? Just started happening for me today. Were you using SoundSwitch to hotkey-switch audio devices? I think that might have something to do with it in my case, but even after I close that app OBS won't follow the default audio device.
All sample rates are matched on devices and obs.

BigG

I have found a work-around using the OBS Audio Routing Plugin;
1. Install the plugin, https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/audio-monitor.137580/
2. Add your media source as normal
3. In advanced audio properties for that source, set monitor off
4. Add an Audio Monitor filter to the source and route it to where you want it to go. I use 2 filters, 1 routing it to "line" being the NDI webcam+audio input (for routing to VC software), and a second to "default". The latter automatically picks up what the "default" destination is set as. This automatically adjusts to any changes you make to the default.