OBS Skype Camera Source

EliteForges

I am in need of a broadcasting software not only for Twitch, but for Skype as well. OBS seems to be the best one so far, but here's the situation. Xsplit, as much as you may not like me mentioning the name, comes with 1 feature that makes me want to use it: It counts as a Skype camera source. Meaning, you can essentially "broadcast" your games to Skype by turning on the camera instead of sharing screens. The reason I hate sharing screens is because it is often lagging and I found out that the cursor is not even aligned right. But recently when I updated my Windows from 7 to 8.1, whenever I add a game to Xsplit it shows up as a black screen and I have found 0 successful solutions. This is preventing me from sharing video with others and I find it quite annoying and after a while, very frustrating. If developers of OBS can work on this, and finish it, that would make me a very happy person. If this was to be achieved I would just like to request that you can show live video of your gameplay in a Skype call at a fairly high resolution (720p-1080p) and at a very good FPS, the whole point is to make this a better alternative than screen sharing.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Re: [Urgent Request] OBS Skype Camera Source

I've been trying to get access to the SkypeKit SDK so I could implement this, but Microsoft hasn't given me access ("check back later" is what it says). Then, to add insult to injury, apparently they're retiring SkypeKit soon anyway.

So no, sorry. Not going to happen. Best you can do is window capture the Skype video chat window.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Re: [Urgent Request] OBS Skype Camera Source

Actually, it sounds like he's asking to be able to use the content of the OBS window as a Skype Camera, not capture a Skype camera.

What you're asking for is for DirectShow output from OBS. This has been requested many times before, and I agree that it would be a useful feature to have, but it probably won't come in this version of OBS. Maybe in the rewrite, but I think there are a lot of things ahead of it in the priority list.

This is not an urgent request.

Kir

Not to bump an old thread, but this is the one I found googling and I guess other people are likely to find it too.

I guess the feature as dodgepong described it has not been implemented yet?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
No. Its really a low priority and there is not a big team of developers to write such features.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I wouldn't say it's a low priority, but I would say that there are other priorities that are higher.

I'll also say that this isn't something that will be added to the current version of OBS, but would be added instead to OBS Multiplatform.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
The answer is no, until direct show output has been written and added to OBS-MP. As has been stated several times and in several threads.

calisun

I would also love to have this feature. I found another old thread from couple of years ago that Jim said: "Virtual camera output is something that is still on the 'planned for the future' list (for the rewrite, not for the current version)"
I see that xSplit has that capability, but I would prefer to use OBS

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Xsplit only sort of has this feature. Even with Xsplit, you can't add individual camera sources if you're in a group video call, just the whole Skype window capture.

calisun

No, I don't want to capture skype, I want to use OBS as a camera source for skype (green screen capability) xSplit does that. When you have xSplit installed and go to video settings inside skype, one of the camera choices will be xSplit.