Question / Help OBS Recordings set to Notes

GameGorilla

When I was younger, I was a naive kid who didnt understand OBS. When I first booted it up to make minecraft lets plays, I started recording my hour long of footage, and after a hard days work, clicked "Stop Recording."

Little did I know, this would be the biggest mistake of my career as a minecraft youtuber.

When it popped up that I needed to select a app to run my file, I clicked notes, being the most "logical" option in my 10 year old mind.
I opened up the file to find endless paragraphs of text, a sample of it includes :

FLV
onMetaData duration @7å`A‰7 width @‘€ height @…à
videodatarate @£Ð videocodecid @
audiodatarate @cˆ audiosamplerate @刀 audiosamplesize @0 stereo audiocodecid @$ encoder
Lavf57.41.100 filesize A]ºªÀ , M@ÿá gM@ì #ÏÜ ‘ã2À hï¼€ 7 ¯ Å C õÿÿñÜEé½æÙH·–,Ø Ù#îïx264 - core 148 r2721 72d53ab - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec - Copyleft 2003-2016 - http://www.videolan.org/x264.html - options: cabac=1 ref=1 deblock=1:0:0 analyse=0x1:0x111 me=hex subme=2 psy=1 psy_rd=1.00:0.00 mixed_ref=0 me_range=16 chroma_me=1 trellis=0 8x8dct=0 cqm=0 deadzone=21,11 fast_pskip=1 chroma_qp_offset=0 threads=6 lookahead_threads=2 sliced_threads=0 nr=0 decimate=1 interlaced=0 bluray_compat=0 constrained_intra=0 bframes=3 b_pyramid=2 b_adapt=1 b_bias=0 direct=1 weightb=1 open_gop=0 weightp=1 keyint=120 keyint_min=12 scenecut=40 intra_refresh=0 rc_lookahead=10 rc=cbr mbtree=1 bitrate=2500 ratetol=1.0 qcomp=0.60 qpmin=0 qpmax=69 qpstep=4 vbv_maxrate=2500 vbv_bufsize=2500 nal_hrd=none filler=1 ip_ratio=1.40 aq=1:1.00 € Ãeˆ„ ÿúÂUÿØöD¢¿ÿß|¹ëyrÄÈ$îë¡I;è /+Qè;„€ | (@° > -À€ – À Z

Ill end it right there, point is, it goes on forever and takes up huge chunks of memory, and I cant transfer it to a video editing software. I've researched and researched but found no solution, so I take to the forums. Hopefully I can get somewhat of a answer, because I have actually started to learn how to function a channel, and would like to use OBS to record my videos on it.
Thank you- Josh Fowler

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Install VLC.

If on Windows 10:
  1. Open "Default app settings" ("Default apps").
  2. Set "Video player" to "VLC media player".
That should do it. If it doesn't, you can set the default app by file type in the same settings window.

If on Windows 7, see this article. I think Windows 8/8.1 use the Windows 7 instructions.

GameGorilla

I thank you for responding, most forums have a habit of ignoring questions that many people rarely ask.
The only problem is, whenever I take a video, i see it still in notes format. When I first try to open it, for the first time, it gives me the option to open it in VLC, but afterwards doesnt. It also stays in note form, and gives me no option to convert it. <3 Hope you can respond again soon.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Just to clarify some terminology here, the file format itself shouldn't have changed at all unless you explicitly made changes to it, such as by opening it in Notes and then saving it from within the Notes app. OBS would have recorded to the format you specified with the file extension you specified. This seems to be FLV format with the ".flv" file extension. This is not a file conversion issue, it's a file type association issue. Windows controls your file type associations for applications. If you're still seeing the Notes icon for new video files, then you haven't fixed that association for that file type.

As I mentioned above, you can set the Windows default application for video files. You can also pick specific applications for specific file types in the same place you pick the default video player. You haven't specified which version of Windows you're on, so I will assume Windows 10.
  1. Open "Default app settings" ("Default apps").
  2. Scroll down and click "Choose default apps by file type". Wait while it populates the list.
  3. Scroll down to find ".flv".
  4. Select "VLC media player" as the default application.
That should be it.