OBS Program Voice Capture (Beta)

tjj2000

I connected Reaper VST restream to main mixer and then to OBS by program voice capture . It works fine when I use windows soundcard build inside PC (Realtek). When I use USB UA Volt 1 soundcard no voice can hear in OBS.

I tried Tascam US-1641. Do not work program voice capture.

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/YhM75cSAHumEgXwW

AaronD

OBS doesn't switch automatically, if that's what you mean. You have to tell it which input to use.

If it was as simple as install -> instant perfection, then it would be so limited that most of us couldn't use it. No set of defaults can work for more than just a handful of people. The rest need to explore the settings, figure out what they do, and set them according to their specific setup in that moment. If something changes, like a different mic or sound card, review the settings again.

One exception to that:
The "default" mic and speakers use the OS's selection, which might be automatic in the OS. But it's not OBS that changes in that case: it's still looking at the OS's selection. You might think of it as a virtual sound card that the OS connects to a physical one, and may change that connection based on whatever rules it has...which is disconcerting to a serious producer because it may change at random when I don't want it to. So once you get past the "toy/hobby show" stage, make sure you specify exactly what to use directly in OBS, and don't use "default".

tjj2000

OBS doesn't switch automatically, if that's what you mean. You have to tell it which input to use.

If it was as simple as install -> instant perfection, then it would be so limited that most of us couldn't use it. No set of defaults can work for more than just a handful of people. The rest need to explore the settings, figure out what they do, and set them according to their specific setup in that moment. If something changes, like a different mic or sound card, review the settings again.

One exception to that:
The "default" mic and speakers use the OS's selection, which might be automatic in the OS. But it's not OBS that changes in that case: it's still looking at the OS's selection. You might think of it as a virtual sound card that the OS connects to a physical one, and may change that connection based on whatever rules it has...which is disconcerting to a serious producer because it may change at random when I don't want it to. So once you get past the "toy/hobby show" stage, make sure you specify exactly what to use directly in OBS, and don't use "default".
You are right, but I tried all possible variations with this issue. I change all options I found about sound/soundcard. Still no sound could hear from Reaper to OBS with USB soundcards. I can say I tried...

I have been using Reaper and other DAWS at least 10 year and using soundcards/Asio drivers is common to me.

When I used windows sound, capture is working fine, with USB soundcard on, no capture.

Sorry but sorry....

Still got some picture with OBS where I attached voice in other program.

tjj2000

Good music, but I'm afraid I don't read your native language. From the description you put here though, I wonder if that's even the right video?
It just some word of the issue and something else about not. Just to show I can use OBS, even little bit.... :)

AaronD

It just some word of the issue and something else about not. Just to show I can use OBS, even little bit.... :)
Soo......what's the problem again? Some mics work in OBS and others don't? And a different set works in a different program and others don't?

tjj2000

Soo......what's the problem again? Some mics work in OBS and others don't? And a different set works in a different program and others don't?
Hello!

Reaper works as itself fine. You can record voice by the same time as you use OBS; BUT if you want to stream whole band with USB sound card to OBS and to internet is not working. I want to get our band livestream alive; and well, every instrument mic properly; at least seven different lines which can/need tuned in Reaper => OBS => FB live. Clear?
In the video what is linked I recorded video in OBS, music is from Reaper and stick together in Clipchamp. It is Ok, but not live stream. OK?
Problem still exits....

When this problem/ my competence with OBS is solved, you can listen our music alive from rehersal/gig.

AaronD

So you want to use Reaper (a DAW: Digital Audio Workstation) to mix the band, and feed its output to OBS as an unchanged passthrough? For that, you need a loopback audio device. Lots of those available, if Reaper doesn't have one built-in.

A loopback is just a virtual speaker and a virtual microphone, all in software. Whatever goes to that "speaker", shows up in that "mic". Simple as that. Connect Reaper to the loopback speaker, and OBS to the corresponding mic, and now you can feed Reaper into OBS.

Lots of people seem to like VoiceMeeter and its parent company, but it's certainly not the only one:
That's a single loopback, which should be all you need if I understand you correctly. Or you can look at the other tabs, which add more loopbacks to the same system as well as a little bit of processing along the way. But since you're using a DAW already, it'd be better to keep all of your processing in there.

That said, there might be an even simpler way:

Send Reaper to a physical output, possibly even put headphones there, then use OBS's desktop audio selection to listen to that output. That's effectively a free loopback that the operating system gives you for every output device.

tjj2000

So you want to use Reaper (a DAW: Digital Audio Workstation) to mix the band, and feed its output to OBS as an unchanged passthrough? For that, you need a loopback audio device. Lots of those available, if Reaper doesn't have one built-in.

A loopback is just a virtual speaker and a virtual microphone, all in software. Whatever goes to that "speaker", shows up in that "mic". Simple as that. Connect Reaper to the loopback speaker, and OBS to the corresponding mic, and now you can feed Reaper into OBS.

Lots of people seem to like VoiceMeeter and its parent company, but it's certainly not the only one:
That's a single loopback, which should be all you need if I understand you correctly. Or you can look at the other tabs, which add more loopbacks to the same system as well as a little bit of processing along the way. But since you're using a DAW already, it'd be better to keep all of your processing in there.

That said, there might be an even simpler way:

Send Reaper to a physical output, possibly even put headphones there, then use OBS's desktop audio selection to listen to that output. That's effectively a free loopback that the operating system gives you for every output device.
Thank You for a reply.
I test what say;

But the way I used it is planned do the same thing. You just put restream on in Reaper, add it to main mixer and put it on.
There is some word about it.

Then you just add in OBS add source: program voice capture (Beta). Version 2.90 OBS have it.
You get sound to OBS with realtek on in Reaper, not with USB soundcards: I have UA Volt 1 and Tascam older 16 channel soundcard. Both of them no sound to OBS this Beta system. Perhaps there is something still to be done with it; it is Beta....
This is why I wroted comment.

How the information from source comes to OBS? Is it something not connected to audio device?

AaronD

Thank You for a reply.
I test what say;

But the way I used it is planned do the same thing. You just put restream on in Reaper, add it to main mixer and put it on.
There is some word about it.

Then you just add in OBS add source: program voice capture (Beta). Version 2.90 OBS have it.
You get sound to OBS with realtek on in Reaper, not with USB soundcards: I have UA Volt 1 and Tascam older 16 channel soundcard. Both of them no sound to OBS this Beta system. Perhaps there is something still to be done with it; it is Beta....
This is why I wroted comment.

How the information from source comes to OBS? Is it something not connected to audio device?
Most of that didn't make sense. Maybe I should have noticed earlier, but it appears that your native language is not English. That's fine, but I'm wondering if you're translating yourself, or using Google or some other tool to do it. That might make a difference.

What I think you're saying now, is that you have a source that I don't:
1674676551828.png

That's entirely possible, because you're on Windows and I'm on Linux, so some of them *will* be different. But even when I had Windows, I don't remember a "Voice Capture". I can't think if why it would be needed either, as a different thing from a generic Audio Capture from various things. (the first three in my list)

AaronD

Let's try something different, a diagram made with LibreOffice Draw (free: https://www.libreoffice.org/ , or you can use whatever you have already), screenshotted and cropped to put here:
1674677473692.png

That's what I was thinking when I said:
...there might be an even simpler way:

tjj2000

Let's try something different, a diagram made with LibreOffice Draw (free: https://www.libreoffice.org/ , or you can use whatever you have already), screenshotted and cropped to put here:
View attachment 91057
That's what I was thinking when I said:
1674711744004.png

Hello again; I changed program language to english and source you can see is first in list; what I have talking about.
It seems Linux version do not have it?
I am using OBS with windows 11 and OBS version is latest, 29.0.

If this beta do not start to work, I try other ways you have told.

And my native language is not english, I am in Finland :)

AaronD

You're right. I don't have that. I can imagine, though, that it tries to capture the output of a specific program, before it tells the operating system which sound card it wants to use.

If that's the intent of that source, I think it would be wonderful! But also a challenge for the developers to do in general, because I don't think most operating systems expose that.

I'm not a beta tester unless I have to be, so I'd do it the way that I drew above. It also gives you headphones to verify that Reaper is doing what you think it's doing, which can be a good troubleshooting tool if you think that OBS isn't right.

But by the time you "go live" with it, I think the headphones should come from OBS's Monitor output instead, so they tell you what OBS is actually getting. If you have two headphones and two sound cards, then you can keep one for each, but that might be overkill. The VB Cable loopback is probably fine at that point, between Reaper and OBS, and just have the one set of headphones from OBS.
1674756312497.png