OBS output -> USB?

IcyA1

Is there a way to send the output of OBS to a real USB port instead to a virtual webcam device? Given this i could use an older linux box as a video mixing device for my business laptop running Webex Meetings (or another webconference tool).

Mayby it's a crazy idea, but I need this as a workaround to bring two webcams and two microphones into my webmeetings. The windows system on my business laptop ist very restricted. I have the portable version of OBS windows, but the Virtual Webcam Plugin isn't allowed to communicate with the directshow subsystem. I have no admin rights. It would be nice if a linux box could manage the video and audio devices, run OBS and send the complete output to an USB port, which should be recognized as a webcam from the Webex Meetings Software on my laptop.

Or is that very special question a question of the capabilities of the underlying ffmpeg system? Should I ask in the ffmpeg forums?

Really every hint would be fine! Thanks!

ChristianS

This may not be the answer you expect but for example the Raspberry Pi can work as "USB Gadget" (sometimes, people call this USB "slave mode") : when connected to a PC, the PC will see it as an USB device.

I am currently looking for a way to set a Raspberry Pi as a filter between a webcam and a PC:
that's more or less the same idea you have, but you would like to run OBS, while I know ffmpeg will do the job.

(In the end, I have in mind to add some physical buttons/dials to the Raspberry on its GPIO so the final user can "tune" the image of the webcam, without digging into ffmpeg syntax and options)

Maybe you can start having a look here for inspiration ?

AirTex

I have the same issue with my work computer. I do not have admin rights, and have restrictive access to the company network. The way I did this was to pick up a rather cheap video capture device that will input an HDMI source, and output a usb video feed. In OBS, I view the 'Program' view in full screen on the second display.

BenMitchell

Did anyone figure out anything?

I am on macOS and virtual cam support is hit and miss. Some apps work if you remove their code signing.. but I rather have something I can rely on.

I have a raspberry pi I can use. I basically want to output the OBS virtual cam feed out of my Mac, into a pi or something and then back into my Mac via USB and have it show up as a physical webcam and not a virtual one.