Question / Help OBS only records 10 to 30 fps, but games run 200+ - help.

evilmONstr

Hi,

I have seen that multiple people have this problem, but I still havent found a solution that works for me.

I can run games smoothly with over 200 fps without problems, no lag, nothing. But OBS records it at maximum 35 fps, and its all over the place from 5 to 35.
This is only a problem i some games. CSGO and OW runs smoothly without any problems while recording, but lets say RE7 is having serious issues.
I have found out that if i limit my FPS to 60 ingame the problem is gone, but I dont want to that. (Atleast in RE7 where some speedrun tricks requires uncapped fps to work.)

Im not at the correct computer right now, so I cant give you the log file, but my guess is that its something like this:
Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 1413 (25.8%)

I have tried both NVENC and x264, but the problem is the same. And the computer runs the game smoothly no matter what, its just the recording in OBS that have a problem. No overload on the GPU or CPU.

Specs;
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Ram: 16GB DDR4
Monitor 1: ROG PG258Q at 240 Hz (where the game is played)
Monitor 2: A old Samsung monitor at 60 Hz (where (sl)obs is)

If someone could try to help me or push me in the right direction it would be highly appreciated :)
Do I have to upgrade some hardware?

Osiris

You will need to limit the fps, OBS cannot do it's thing when the game is hogging the gpu by churning out so many frames.

evilmONstr

You will need to limit the fps, OBS cannot do it's thing when the game is hogging the gpu by churning out so many frames.
But why isnt this a problem in CSGO and OW. Those game runs way more frames than RE7. And when I use the CPU it still only gives me up to 35 frames, but the CPU never goes over 10% load.

DEDRICK

But why isnt this a problem in CSGO and OW. Those game runs way more frames than RE7. And when I use the CPU it still only gives me up to 35 frames, but the CPU never goes over 10% load.

Not all game engines are equal, RE7/2 are extremely GPU intensive.

Either way, you already know what fixes it but run through the Windows 10 Gaming Feature checklist, get rid of all that crap.

Game Mode, if you haven't already "Check For Updates" In Windows, this will update you to 1809 where you can disable this forever
Game Bar
Broadcast
Captures