OBS on MacOS 14 “Sonoma”

VergePM306

I have been on Sonoma Beta for some time. I realize that its a beta version of MacOS. But I wills say that OBS 29.X.x has not worked from day 1. I would love a fix at some point.

antonfromnyc

I'm having trouble with the new FaceTime menu bar item in macOS 14.0 Sonoma. It always appears as a screen sharing glyph rather than the normal green FaceTime camera, and it gives a Stop Streaming button, even when OBS is idle, that does not seem to function.

JoshuaZ92

I have not been able to open OBS since I updated to Sonoma either... Have tried to reinstall the app, didn't solve the issue.

yakuzablyat

Same, note: issue noticed while on my M1 Macbook pro which is also running macOS Sonoma. i didn't have any issues before upgrading to Sonoma.

OBS Virtual camera not working on Android studio but it is working in my browser.

tofuine

I'm having trouble with the new FaceTime menu bar item in macOS 14.0 Sonoma. It always appears as a screen sharing glyph rather than the normal green FaceTime camera, and it gives a Stop Streaming button, even when OBS is idle, that does not seem to function.
I am having this same issue. The icon also keep showing after I quit OBS.

This is really annoying because I have to restart my whole computer to make it go away.

TheTransplant

I use virtual camera in Zoom and Teams. In both apps since Sonoma - OBS camera blanks out every couple of minutes and then comes back. Also Zoom for some reason insists on applying a blur to the virtual camera even though I don't have blur selected or if I turn it on and off. Again, all started happening with Sonoma so don't know where the blame lies.

pixelpusher

Me: Freshly wiped and installed of Mac OS 14 on an M1 Max Mac Studio here, after upgrading from Mac OS 13, along with an upgrade from OBS v28 to v29. No plugins or additional software is being used. It's just vanilla MacOS, OBS, and a generic Behringer U-Control audio in/out box (USB) that has always worked fine from machine to machine. In OBS I can see the device in dropdown lists, but upon selection OBS plays no audio and the meter shows no response. Other applications (like Adobe Audio) see and receive the audio box's signal just fine. But OBS doesn't. I've messed with all kinds of settings in the OS and in OBS trying to get the audio to respond, but no luck.

Also, when I tried to downgrade back to our previously used version of OBS (v. 28) which used to work just fine, the audio still doesn't work. So there's something about how OBS engages MacOS 14 that needs attention.

Side note: For us, our cam video works fine, though we don't use the cam for audio, only video. Our big issue is that just audio input via USB that isn't working.

We're at a total standstill here unable to broadcast because of this, unfortunately. If anyone has a suggestion, we're all ears!

Thanks,

-- PP

PS:
We also posted comments about this issue yesterday in the thread below:
... but perhaps it's better suited for our immediate thread here, since it has nothing to do with "Black Hole", whatever that is.

Dcmusic

Just a quick FIY…

No issues what so ever with MacOS 14.

Using the following Plugins:

Advanced Scene Switcher
Move Transition
I’m having trouble when I use an external monitor and try and use the macOS screen capture for the external. It works fine for the main screen but the secondary screen is totally black- both in OBS and on the actual display. I currently upgraded to a Mac Studio Mac m2..

Any advice?
Dc

pixelpusher

Additional info regarding post #13 that I made a few days back:

Just installed OBS 29.1.3, and the problem still exists. Again, setup is: totally fresh Mac OS 14 Install after full wipe. No plugins. OBS lets me select my USB audio interface, but no audio signal results and no visual meter response.

Again, other apps see the audio device and receive audio from it just fine (like Adobe Audition), but not OBS Studio.

Thanks,

-- PP

JOSmithIII

Everything works for me on my M1 MacBook Pro except Audio Output Capture. Under Properties, there are no devices at all.
I found a workaround which is to choose Display Capture instead of Window Capture.
In that case the computer audio is recorded under macOS Screen Capture.
The Audio Output Capture remains empty with no devices available.

JOSmithIII

Ok, now I have a complete workaround: just add another source for the window/application/DeskTop playing the audio and throw aways its video. So, in my case, I have one source that is my PDF presentation, and another source recording the whole DeskTop in "Display Capture" mode whose video I delete. Sorry if this is all obvious - I'm just getting started with OBS. The Audio Output Capture does appear to be broken, however.

pixelpusher

=
Additional info regarding post #13 that I made a few days back:

Just installed OBS 29.1.3, and the problem still exists. Again, setup is: totally fresh Mac OS 14 Install after full wipe. No plugins. OBS lets me select my USB audio interface, but no audio signal results and no visual meter response.

Again, other apps see the audio device and receive audio from it just fine (like Adobe Audition), but not OBS Studio.

Thanks,

-- PP

Regarding posts #13 and 15 by me: SOLVED. All is working fine now. Apparently it was a permissions issues in Mac OS 14. In the main menu, I went to "OBS Studio" > "Review App Permissions", and in there under "Microphone" there was a path to granting OBS permissions in Mac OS's System Preferences. Hopefully this helps others too!

-- PP