OBS Nvenc impmenetation slower than Shadowplay and more intensive

n3v3rm1nd

Hello there,

I'm pretty sure there is something to that because of proprietary access to hardware or what not but Shadowplay give me fluent 60fps recording and no additional strain on my GPU.

What is the cause that OBS can't do that? I would jump the ship for the time being but i can't record opengl with shadowplay.

Thanks! :)

Edit:
Took a quick look at Xsplit and it seems their implementation is the same as shadow play. Couldnt test 60fps recording because i had to pay then ... hmmmm

Edit2:
So it seems FPS is on par with OBS. What is NVIDIA doing that it's so smooth??

Edit3:

Nope Xsplit is up to 10fps faster in Minecraft with shaders

Last edited:

n3v3rm1nd

Nobody?? Since the update things get more and more worse for me. Maybe thats all caused by optimus i don't know. But Nvidia gets it, so?

Attachments

• log.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 39
  • log.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 30

n3v3rm1nd

After update i got the same shit. Maybe its because of Nvidia driver update? Ill try to get put old one.

Tried, back to 344.11 .. didn't fix a thing. Like i said every implementation of Nvenc isn't as good as shadowplay itself with the newest Geforce Experience update. Its really butter smooth but audio quality is shit. Only 100kbits. They need to fix that, add opengl support and remove the vfr ... yuck.

I think i will try Xsplit when i get some money. It seems to run flawless there!

finargot

Tried, back to 344.11 .. didn't fix a thing. Like i said every implementation of Nvenc isn't as good as shadowplay itself with the newest Geforce Experience update. Its really butter smooth but audio quality is shit. Only 100kbits. They need to fix that, add opengl support and remove the vfr ... yuck.

I think i will try Xsplit when i get some money. It seems to run flawless there!
I was using Xsplit before OBS - its too laggy, it dont use NVenc, has much less plugins and eats more CPU.
I dont know about Shadow Play - i tried to use it but it did not work. + I need plugins and stream on YouTube
I've put 344.65 Drivers and now it works fine.

finargot

Try to install 6.83b OBS and 344.65 Drivers. It might work. Because in new OBS there is one NVenc update too:

* Fixed NVenc CBR to actually be constant bitrate

So actualy both updates are not good for the streaming.

n3v3rm1nd

Try to install 6.83b OBS and 344.65 Drivers. It might work. Because in new OBS there is one NVenc update too:

* Fixed NVenc CBR to actually be constant bitrate

So actualy both updates are not good for the streaming.

Newest Shadowplay update in Geforce experience is pretty awesome. Only recording software that gives me butter smooth 60fps with practically no fps hit.

Xsplit gives me 10fps more on 30fps recording in Minecraft with Shaders on Nvenc. I dont use software encoders, Too slow.

n3v3rm1nd

So using High Performance Low Latency gives me a pretty good fps bump. Stuttering still visible. Thats on 638b. 640 is just broken for me completely.

I hope you can resolve this problems and squeeze some more performance out of nvenc on not so beast gpus :)

You are using an extremely high bitrate (100,000 kbit/s) coupled with CBR padding. The higher the bitrate, the more CPU is used, even if it's just filler bytes. CBR padding in OBS wasn't working prior to version 0.64, so you need to disable it in 0.64 to get the same behavior as 0.638.

n3v3rm1nd

Yeah i had that unchecked at the last response but forgot to mention it. 30fps is fine but 60fps stutters. For now the only option for this seems to be Shadowplay for best perf but bad audio. Another one i tested was bandicam but got some mixed results but better than any other third party tool.

Mugros

(Talking about local recording)
The new OBS version still generates a lot of duplicate frames at 60 fps. The new version also changes a lot regarding the NVENC settings. With my previous settings the video hangs twice each second and the fps drop to about 40. Changing the preset to NVdefault helped. Haven't tested anything else, since I honestly don't use OBS at the moment.

@n3v3rm1nd To record OpenGL with Shadowplay enable desktop capture, start recording on the desktop and then change to the game. Worked for me for RAGE.

n3v3rm1nd

(Talking about local recording)
The new OBS version still generates a lot of duplicate frames at 60 fps. The new version also changes a lot regarding the NVENC settings. With my previous settings the video hangs twice each second and the fps drop to about 40. Changing the preset to NVdefault helped. Haven't tested anything else, since I honestly don't use OBS at the moment.

@n3v3rm1nd To record OpenGL with Shadowplay enable desktop capture, start recording on the desktop and then change to the game. Worked for me for RAGE.

I cant use desktop recording in shadowplay as i'm on an optimus based system.