OBS Needs this feature!

Biggbytes

First off, I just recently found OBS a few short months ago and I am so happy I did. I looked over and over for software to record gameplay/desktop videos and didn't really like anything I found that was a paid product mainly because I just wanted it for fun and OBS has been a perfect fit.

I mainly use it to create random videos of basically anything. However, even with my simple use of it, there is one feature that just NEEDS to be added to help make things easier.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but the current codecs (I haven't gotten to try the newest one yet) don't work very well for video editing (but they sure capture nice HD footage). I can't import them into my software without taking a long route around. I cannot possibly describe how much frustration it has been looking for hours and hours for new codecs, special codec readers, decoders, demuxer, remuxers, converters, plugins, or anything else that would make things easier. Even worse off, none of these things have even helped or worked with the H.264 codec I've recorded with.

I realize I may be beating a dead horse, but I really hope to see some new codecs added soon that could avoid all the extremely long conversions and outside software; I'll be looking forward to it!

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
First, make sure you've got CFR enabled. That will help a lot.

As for other actual formats, that will come with the OBS rewrite.

Biggbytes

@Dodgepong: I've been trying all sorts of different ways to see if it will work with my editor but sadly the CFR does not work. I use Sony Vegas 9 and I've heard it can't handle X264 codecs or FLV so I just have to wait or convert.

I'm certainly excited for the rewrite though, can't wait for it!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hmm, I edit my videos with vegas 12, without any problems.
Just make sure to save as mp4 with cbr / cfr / aac audio. If you have older flv's you want to edit, you can copy the video and audio into a mp4 container with ffmpeg and without any qualiy loss.

So if you still have problems those might be vegas 9 related or you should try using a codec pack. I use K-Lite Codec Pack in the Mega version from here: http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
In the setup I choose lots of stuff with player (installs media player classic) and check a few missing settings like the lame mp3 codec :)