Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

EvenTS

There are several reasons Streamlabs Desktop has an NDI source. Everything is built in with nothing else to install. Furthermore, there is no plugin support, so there is no way to extend Streamlabs Desktop's functionality. Furthermore, what Streamlabs did to make this happen may have violated the OBS Project's, NewTek's or both entities' licenses. I can 't be sure without understanding the implications of the licensing models that OBS Studio and NewTek's runtime libraries are distributed under as well as copyright law. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

That said, it is now time to set Streamlabs Desktop to the side as this forum is not about Streamlabs Desktop nor is it about open source software licensing and linking with proprietary runtime libraries.

There are some questions I have to ask:
  1. Did you install the plugin at all? (Kind of hard to have NDI support without the plugin installed.)
  2. Did you tell the plugin installer where to install the NDI plugin? Make sure it's pointed to the base of where your OBS Studio installation lives, e.g. C:\Program Files\obs-studio for a normal system install.
  3. Did you install the NDI runtime or tools? Either of these must be installed for the plugin to even function. You will not have an NDI source as an option for a scene source or the output under Tools or as a filter if neither are installed.
I would like to know what kind of answers you have to these questions.

Another note: If you correctly installed the NDI plugin but not the required runtime, OBS Studio will tell you this, giving you a link to download it.

Hope this helps.

--Katt. =^.^=
everything worked well until on February 20 I decided to reinstall Windows (22631.3155) and after that I stopped seeing NDI.
All installations were by default
NDI is conducted everywhere except OBS

everything worked well until on February 20 I decided to reinstall Windows (22631.3155) and after that I stopped seeing NDI.
All installations were by default
NDI is conducted everywhere except OBS

Again, assuming you (correctly) installed the NDI plugin into your OBS Studio installation, did you follow it up with the NDI runtime or the NDI Tools package? Either one is REQUIRED for the NDI plugin to even function.

--Katt. =^.^=

EvenTS

Again, assuming you (correctly) installed the NDI plugin into your OBS Studio installation, did you follow it up with the NDI runtime or the NDI Tools package? Either one is REQUIRED for the NDI plugin to even function.

--Katt. =^.^=
During installation obs-ndi-4.13.1-windows-x64-Installer , some of the files are placed on *С* part on *D* I copied everything to *C* and it worked
I noticed when recording the screen, ("D:\work progs\{autopf}\obs-studio") although there was no choice where to put it and only the disk was in the settings *C*

zamn

Hi peeps! Having a hang up with the plugin I can't seem to overcome... I can see my Camera source (iPhone) in Studio Monitor just fine but every time I attempt to add an NDI Source in OBS the Camera source does not appear in the list (nothing does). I've triple checked that the plugin is current and that I have the latest Runtime installed.

Anyone have some tips that might help solve this problem?

Screenshot 2024-03-23 182114.png

Screenshot 2024-03-23 182214.png

BolikexMachina

Hi peeps! Having a hang up with the plugin I can't seem to overcome... I can see my Camera source (iPhone) in Studio Monitor just fine but every time I attempt to add an NDI Source in OBS the Camera source does not appear in the list (nothing does). I've triple checked that the plugin is current and that I have the latest Runtime installed.

Anyone have some tips that might help solve this problem?

View attachment 102802
View attachment 102803
I have the same actually, im not able to see the full NDI, only the PREVIEWS of my machines! And of course it is enabled main and preview.

1711341278083.png
1711341324981.png

the problem is the preview doesnt stream audio!

hilc

Hi all. Hope this is the right place to post this question. I'm having trouble playing streams recorded with KiloView Recorder Software that are generated by OBS and re-encoded by NDI bridge to h.264. No player (VLC, ...) can handle the "UYVA" format.

In detail: I am using the OBS NDI Plugin to output NDI Streams of video captured by several video devices attached to a PC. I can see the streams on my network an can also record them using the KiloView Recorder Software. The recorded files play well with e.g. VLC. Now, to reduce bandwith, I did a test using NDI Bridge to re-encode the NDI streams to NDI-HX (h.264). I still can receive and preview those NDI-HX streams and record them using KiloViews Recorder Software. But this time, the recorded files cannot be played. VLC complains that it does not know how to handle the "UYVA" format. Actually I could not find any player or conversion tool being able to handle the recorded files because of that format. KiloView say they do not change the frame format in the stream, and just write to disk what is coming from the source. I actually did find references to that UYVA format in the OBS-NDI Plugin sources, so the plugin seems to generate that.

I would be very thankful if somebody could explain why this happens (I am not a video expert). Then, is there a way to configure the OBS-NDI Plugin to use a more widely recognized frame format rather than UYVA?

Thnaks for your support!

hilc

Hi all. Hope this is the right place to post this question. I'm having trouble playing streams recorded with KiloView Recorder Software that are generated by OBS and re-encoded by NDI bridge to h.264. No player (VLC, ...) can handle the "UYVA" format.

In detail: I am using the OBS NDI Plugin to output NDI Streams of video captured by several video devices attached to a PC. I can see the streams on my network an can also record them using the KiloView Recorder Software. The recorded files play well with e.g. VLC. Now, to reduce bandwith, I did a test using NDI Bridge to re-encode the NDI streams to NDI-HX (h.264). I still can receive and preview those NDI-HX streams and record them using KiloViews Recorder Software. But this time, the recorded files cannot be played. VLC complains that it does not know how to handle the "UYVA" format. Actually I could not find any player or conversion tool being able to handle the recorded files because of that format. KiloView say they do not change the frame format in the stream, and just write to disk what is coming from the source. I actually did find references to that UYVA format in the OBS-NDI Plugin sources, so the plugin seems to generate that.

I would be very thankful if somebody could explain why this happens (I am not a video expert). Then, is there a way to configure the OBS-NDI Plugin to use a more widely recognized frame format rather than UYVA?

Thnaks for your support!

We did further testing and re-encoded other NDI-Sources (multiple NDI-streams generated with "NDI Screen Capture" (not HX) on different Win 10 and Win 11 laptops; an NDI-stream generated with a Kiloview N4 HDMI-NDI converter) using NDI-Bridge (from NDI-Tools 6.0) to h.264 and saved the re-encoded streams to disk using the KiloView Recorder Software. All those files can be played without issue using VLC or can be used in Camtasia or PremierePro. Only the re-encoded streams originating from the OBS NDI-Plugin cannot be played with any available video player (e. g. VLC says "Codec not supported: VLC could not decode the format "UYVA" (No description for this codec)") or used in any editing software.

Is there any way to configure the OBS NDI-plugin to use another video frame format? We are evaluating OBS and NDI for use in education, so our students would certainly be very thankful for any help we can get :)

robles

Hello, I have had a problem with the plugin or I don't know if it is a configuration error, but I would like to know a solution.

The gaming PC is not detected by the streaming PC, however, the gaming PC does detect the streaming PC... I would like to know how to solve that, since the streaming PC is a low-power laptop for gaming. I hope someone can help me. If possible here or email: feik04@yahoo.com it would be very helpful <3

Psdt: I have obs 30.0.0 on both PCs, as recommended. In my opinion, the configuration is all good, but I don't know if I'm missing something, since as mentioned, the gaming PC does capture the streaming PC.)