Question / Help OBS MULTIPLATFORM WITH ELGATO

Deadman03

Hi everyone i have been using OBS mulitplatform to record youtube videos in 1080p and 60fps. (You can see a perfect example of this on my youtube channel here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8910KfVGb7c) However i have been looking at an Elgato game capture HD60 pro for my pc (AMD 6 CORE BLACK EDITION, AMD SAPPHIRE 3GB GPU) and was wondering if it is worth it. Are there any benefits to having the elgato? Example true 1080p or true 60fps, Better cpu performance/ gpu performance. I cant really tell from the research i have done so please let me know. Also one other thing. I installed multiplatform on a 64bit system however the 64bit version doesn't work. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

CommanderCH

Ya the 64bit version crashes for me too. Just go with the 32bit one instead. For me I just can't do streaming and local recording at once (still not -.-).
I can personally tell, the HD60 is DEFINITELY worth it! I'm using it myself combined in OBS. Here's an example on 1080p 60fps:
http://www.twitch.tv/commanderch/v/27298039
I'm also running a Hexacore, it took 25% of my CPU though. Going down to 720p reduces it by 13-14%. However I'm still going for 1080p because why not. :P

IMPORTANT:
I'm not using the pro version (the intern one) and still receive perfect fine results as you can see. At least that's my opinion. I doubt it that the pro version is going to be worse, it'll likely be the same or eventually a bit faster.

Deadman03

Ok yea i'm just using the 32bit one because the 64bit wont work. Well it sounds like you have had a good experience with the HD60. I'm sorry i cant watch your video right now because my network administrator has twitch blocked (i'm not at home right now) but i have seen HD60 footage on youtube before. It sounds like it is worth getting i just wanted to check that it does improve on standard OBS so i wont waste my money. I want the internal one HD60 PRO for my pc because i don't have enough room for the external (my desk is small). Thanks for the help and i will definitely consider getting it!

Ok yea i'm just using the 32bit one because the 64bit wont work. Well it sounds like you have had a good experience with the HD60. I'm sorry i cant watch your video right now because my network administrator has twitch blocked (i'm not at home right now) but i have seen HD60 footage on youtube before. It sounds like it is worth getting i just wanted to check that it does improve on standard OBS so i wont waste my money. I want the internal one HD60 PRO for my pc because i don't have enough room for the external (my desk is small). Thanks for the help and i will definitely consider getting it!
My opinion:
Do not get it. Unless you're wanting to record consoles (or your iDevice with the lightning-to-HDMI connector), do not get it. Your GPU (should/could/might) have AMD VCE, with allows you to record without as much CPU load as normal recording. Do you know your exact GPU?

I think your computer would still have load on it if you use a capture card, but someone else who knows for sure will have to verify.

AMD VCE is better for recording your computer as it's a separate piece of hardware on the GPU card, with most work that was done on the CPU being done on the GPU.
Here's the page on VCE: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/02/19/introducing-video-coding-engine-vce/

AndehX

If youre recording PC games then buying a capture card will not yield any benefits, unless you have a dual (gaming/capture) PC setup. Don't waste your money unless you plan to install it into a dedicated recording PC.

CommanderCH

Oh yeah, only use the CaptureCard for consolerecording and streaming. There's no need for a CaptureCard if you're only recording or streaming PC games. Simply go with the regular OBS.

Also I see that AverMedia CaptureCard is more comfortable with any type of console than the Elgato. No idea why. :/

FaHu

Elgato hd60 pro is good if you use an extra streaming pc to record your main pc or consoles, but it doesnt really give you better cpu performance

Deadman03

My opinion:
Do not get it. Unless you're wanting to record consoles (or your iDevice with the lightning-to-HDMI connector), do not get it. Your GPU (should/could/might) have AMD VCE, with allows you to record without as much CPU load as normal recording. Do you know your exact GPU?

I think your computer would still have load on it if you use a capture card, but someone else who knows for sure will have to verify.

AMD VCE is better for recording your computer as it's a separate piece of hardware on the GPU card, with most work that was done on the CPU being done on the GPU.
Here's the page on VCE: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/02/19/introducing-video-coding-engine-vce/

My GPU is a AMD Sapphire R9 280X 3GB. +AndehX My pc is set up for very CPU/GPU gaming and recording. I have no doubts that it could handle the HD60.

I only wanted to know if having an hd60 would improve the video quality. I have got the OBSM x64 working however the end recording is not as clear even though i have it set to 1080p. It has just been getting blury on its own. However i am planning to update OBSM and re configure my settings.

Deadman03

If i was to buy a HD60 pro for my pc which is set up for recording would it be as clear as Xbox ONE or PS4 game play. For example currently i am recording with OBSM x64. On my screen my game play is 100% clear 1080p and looks great. However the recorded footage is blury at certain points and is not always 1080p. It has been especially blury lately for some reason and it may be a problem with my settings or that OBSM is out dated. I will update it and re-set it when i have time but i wonder if the hd60 will be 1080p all the time no problem. I have seen reviews for pc game play with it and it looks perfect.

FaHu

Elgato hd60 pro is right know one of the best and expensive capturecard out yet. I dont believe you get something which reach a better quality right know. Avermedia extreme (usb3.0) and the elgato hd60 (usb3.0) are the only others which could reach and output 1080p60fps. So almost ingame quality. If you can use high settings in record or streaming

FaHu

But if you want really a huge quality you have to set a high kbit/s upload. For a really sharp record you shouldnt go less than 10000 kbit/s max bitrate. If you livestream you cant reach a quality which isnt blury. If you want get viewers and a watchable stream, because the highest recommended bitrate for nonpartnered streams are around 2500kbit/s ~

Deadman03

But if you want really a huge quality you have to set a high kbit/s upload. For a really sharp record you shouldnt go less than 10000 kbit/s max bitrate. If you livestream you cant reach a quality which isnt blury. If you want get viewers and a watchable stream, because the highest recommended bitrate for nonpartnered streams are around 2500kbit/s ~
so the lower the bit rate the clearer the video? What about lag with OBS?

FaHu

No higher bitrate higher quality. But twitch dont support really more than 2500kbit/s for nonpartnered streams

fatmatrow

and also, i've streamed at 4500 kbps with twitch with no problem, most people can do 3500 with zero issues. it definitely doesn't have that small of a cap (2500)

FaHu

and also, i've streamed at 4500 kbps with twitch with no problem, most people can do 3500 with zero issues. it definitely doesn't have that small of a cap (2500)
It has. Howmuch viewers did you still have. The most people will go into your stream and cant watch it and leave again.

fatmatrow

I don't do it regularly, I did it to test.
I stream later and have between 20-30 people so sometimes I get quality options

fatmatrow

Honestly, (and this is just my opinion) I don't want to over sacrifice quality for the smaller percentage of people with terrible internet.

FaHu

Its a bigger percentage of viewers. Its not the connection of speed which people has. Its the connection of your stream channel from twitch which is just lower support than partnered channels. That means you get in different times more framedrops and even people with huge connections get buffering in your stream. Its your decision if you want stay that bitrate or not. I see just a lot about those problems in other stream

fatmatrow

I tend to stay around the 3200 to 3500 range, and the specific twitch server you stream to makes a HUGE difference, R1ch made a great app that checks the connection and ping of twitch servers in relation to your connection. Some days It's better for me to use dallas servers, others the VA or NY servers.
I rarely have issues is all I'm saying. And when I'm lucky enough to get quality options, it's great