Question / Help OBS Lowers volume of other apps at start [FIX]

papus

As title says. Just as I open OBS 0.12.3 it lowers other apps (i.e. game, chrome, winamp) volume to around 5-10% in windows mixer. I can manually up the volume but I have to do it each time!

It's a fresh OBS install without any plugins and fresh (from yesterday) windows 8.1 (x64) install with just drivers and most common programs.

I tried disabling "Allow other programs taking control over this audio device" but it doesn't work.

Log: https://gist.github.com/3b64b306058d375c4066

PS. As I exit OBS the volume goes up to its proper level automatically!

Fabian

That solved the problem for me, @papus, but why does it even happen? Why does OBS tell the system that there is a telephone call running?

RebelCraft_YT

I have this problem on a MacBook Air. it certainly is obs with is the problem. is there a fix? it makes zoom sound like a phone call

ghostminhtoan

I can answer why it lower volume, because OBS use Microphone (no matter you use micophone or not), your other applicaitons volume will be lower :D, then you must check "do nothing" in communication tab in sound control panel

helpful55

I can answer why it lower volume, because OBS use Microphone (no matter you use micophone or not), your other applicaitons volume will be lower :D, then you must check "do nothing" in communication tab in sound control panel
Ok I see. I do not need the mike to be on at all since I am just recording off a net stream so what I did is set the mike to disabled in OBS. Now it wont lower the volume. Using windows settings to do it works, but this way I am not modifying my windows sound settings so they do what they should do for other situations.