OBS localization - organization of work

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
We may just use crowdin I think, right now it's the best bet for being able to easily update translations and notify translators of new updates.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OrionRBR said:
Hey its nice to have the users to translate the program,i just finish the translation for brazilian portuguese today its just needs approval for the translations
Awesome! I have approved them (I don't speak Portuguese :/) and hopefully I can find some time to reverse-port the new translations from everyone into OBS's current format (or better yet, add support for the new format to OBS itself).

Have you been doing the main translation for OBS into Brazilian Portuguese so far? Or did you just jump in to offer your services?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
To add localization support for your plugins, you can probably follow the example of the DShowPlugin, generating a LocaleStringLookup from localization files in a locale subdirectory of your plugin directory (see the LoadPlugin() method of DShowPlugin.cpp).

However, as for adding plugins to CrowdIn...that's another matter entirely. The CrowdIn data is what will be committed to git, so having non-core plugins intermixed with core translations could get hairy.

My recommendation would be for plugin owners to a) make sure their code is open source, preferably on GitHub, and then b) make their own CrowdIn project, and apply for an Open Source license so that you can use it for free. That way, plugin owners can have control over their localization, can upload strings at will, and do their own quality control. I'm sure we could find a way to promote translation of plugins alongside translation of OBS itself somewhere on the site, if plugin owners apply for it.

Those are my thoughts off the top of my head. We can probably discuss it more. I definitely want to see more plugins get translations, and I'm sure there are many others who are eager to help, but I do think it's important to keep things organized where they should be.

Faruton

Developer
Yeah, I was a bit unclear, sorry about that.

I meant adding the plugin's strings to the crowdin.

I just doubt that translators will trawl through each plugins separate crowdin account and pay attention to multiple projects.

(I could be wrong)

OrionRBR

dodgepong said:
OrionRBR said:
Hey its nice to have the users to translate the program,i just finish the translation for brazilian portuguese today its just needs approval for the translations
Awesome! I have approved them (I don't speak Portuguese :/) and hopefully I can find some time to reverse-port the new translations from everyone into OBS's current format (or better yet, add support for the new format to OBS itself).

Have you been doing the main translation for OBS into Brazilian Portuguese so far? Or did you just jump in to offer your services?
I came to crowdin and a part of it was done (i think 40% of it) then i just finished the rest that was left

solarima

I would recommend for your future projects to try out also this localization tool: https://poeditor.com/. To my mind it makes thing really easy to organize and it has very useful features. The Github integration is really useful also.