OBS LAGGING MO MATTER WHAT!

CameronWashy

Hello y’all,

I have been trying to figure out what my issue is for so long but I am just so confused. My recordings and stream will not stop being laggy or dropping frames and I keep trying different setting but it just doesn’t work.

Here is my last log info from a 3 minute recording: https://obsproject.com/logs/BpQq0vpNa76JrUyR

My hardware:
MB - ROG STRIX B450-F
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1660
CPU - Ryzen 2600x
RAM - 16gb
PSU - 500W

Is there anything in there that you guys see could be causing my lag? I was wondering if it was because my BIOS is being weird in not actually turning on secure boot even thought it says it’s on so maybe there is an update or something? Idk I’m not good at this stuff so please anyone help

PaiSand

The log file provided has no output session which is necesary in order to assess any potential issue.

PaiSand

Every time you open OBS a new log file is created. If you closed OBS and opened it again, it created a new log file.
From the exact same place you can access the actual loog file you can access the last one or the folder where OBS store previous log files. In there you can check wich one is the log file from the moment the issue happened and attach it here.
You can also upload it directly on the analyzer where you can find a link to the log file you just uploaded.

If you stream and record at the same time, please provide a log file with both at the same time.
If you do it separatelly attach 2 log files, one for each.
Most times the issue is resolved just not using advanced output, keep it in simple, running the auto-configuration wizard and applying the settings it gives. Magical.

According to a bottleneck test, you have 10% bottleneck which may be affecting the performance.

CameronWashy

Alright so with that information I just turned on OBS started recording myself playing a game for 15 minutes or so and then stopped the recording. This is the log file that came of it:
https://obsproject.com/logs/SUCNwRQDhAaaCFCQ
When I looked through the file it shows when the recording starts, only 3 lines of information, and then it says the recording stopped. When watching the video back it is, as usual, really laggy. Do you know why this could be? Also, you mentioned bottlenecking, can I fix that?

Thank you for replying!

PaiSand

The only thing you should do is enable Windows Game Mode as it do helps. It was like this for several years now. Yes, Microsoft fixed this. An no, HAGS is still bad.
The recording was successfull. Try using VLC player to watch the recording file as the windows player isn't good enough.
On any good modern video editor should also play fine. Remember you have one of the best video editors which has a free version (full featured), DaVinci Resolve, so there's no need to waste money or other things.

CameronWashy

The only thing you should do is enable Windows Game Mode as it do helps. It was like this for several years now. Yes, Microsoft fixed this. An no, HAGS is still bad.
The recording was successfull. Try using VLC player to watch the recording file as the windows player isn't good enough.
On any good modern video editor should also play fine. Remember you have one of the best video editors which has a free version (full featured), DaVinci Resolve, so there's no need to waste money or other things.
It is so weird because my computer really is not that bad. Also I just turned off Game Mode because everywhere I read said the opposite, but I will try. I do like the idea though of watching the videos through a different video player because that might help. I will let you know, thank you!

PaiSand

I just turned off Game Mode because everywhere I read said the opposite
Year? because this was fixed several years ago. Really old videos and notes about it never got revisited. And the ones that do got revisited, no one saw them. Adding to this, some people still spread this information without checking if still a thing.

CameronWashy

Year? because this was fixed several years ago. Really old videos and notes about it never got revisited. And the ones that do got revisited, no one saw them. Adding to this, some people still spread this information without checking if still a thing.
You are definitely right. I don’t even think of that as long as it says like 2019 or newer I assume it is true. I’ll try it out when I get home later and I’ll let you know!

qhobbes

Do not use Display Capture at all unless need to capture Windows stuff (desktop, start menu, etc.) Build your scene with Window, Game, Video capture etc.

CameronWashy

Do not use Display Capture at all unless need to capture Windows stuff (desktop, start menu, etc.) Build your scene with Window, Game, Video capture etc.
Okay I will try that as well. I just figured out though that @PaiSand was right in his idea that it could be an issue with windows media player. What I did was i minimized the window instead of watching it full screen and now the videos are crisp as can be!

CameronWashy

you were right about the media player app. That was the culprit. My internet is down for service tonight unfortunately so I can’t do any more testing to see what the best settings I can run are (now that I know it is the media player). I will take into account everything you’ve said to though, as well as tinker with the fps and quality settings to make it look the best I can. Thank you so much for you help!