Question / Help OBS Keeps Crashing

MikeySlice

HUGE PROBLEM! BEWARE!!!

Okay so my OBS wasn't recognizing my other 2 monitors like it was yesterday. So I went to the OBS page to download an updated version. It said that it couldn't find file "wincap" during installation. So I downloaded the .zip file. Unzipped it and renamed it to obs-studio like it is in my program files. My "run as admin" got denied from OBS so I uninstalled it then reinstalled it. Same thing happened. Wouldn't let me install for some reason.

So I ran the installer and named a different folder for it to install under. When I opened it all my scenes were gone. So I tried to move files from the one folder to the other. At some point in all this I thought I copied a copy of the original obs-studio to a folder on my Desktop. Apparently that didn't succeed for whatever reason. I proceeded to delete the obs-studio original from program files after I had uninstalled it.

So after all this horrifying stuff happened I decided to system restore. Which did absolutely nothing but remove all the drivers I updated this morning.

OBS won't even open after this system restore. So I tried reinstalling it and it crashes upon opening.

Attachments

• Crash 2017-01-27 10-04-30.txt
    26 KB · Views: 10

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Sounds like you botched the installation somehow.

Try rebooting your PC, and run the full installer (you can just install over the existing files if you want) before running anything else.

Did you save any of the error messages you had while trying to update?

MikeySlice

The OBS that is in a different file starts right up. But the original when rerunning the Installer after a restart of my PC says "OBS has Crashed would you like to save a log?" When prompted to launch after installation.

MikeySlice

I think the original is fried. I'm just going to redo all my scenes. Do you know how to make obs recognize my other monitors? Or should I start up a new thread?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I think the original is fried. I'm just going to redo all my scenes. Do you know how to make obs recognize my other monitors? Or should I start up a new thread?

There's nothing special, unless you have monitors plugged in to multiple GPUs (i.e. a laptop or something similar).

Scenes and sources aren't stored in the program directory. They're stored in %appdata%\obs-studio, so in theory they should still be there even if you installed from the .zip (unless you're running that in portable mode).

MikeySlice

There's obs-studio program file and obs 2 program file. The shortcut to obs-studio folder crashes every time. The other one works but has no info. I found more recent crash files from %appdata%

Attachments

• Crash 2017-01-27 11-45-33.txt
    26.1 KB · Views: 7

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I 3 monitors. 2 plugged into my video card HDMI and 1 plugged into my motherboards DVI.

You'll have to use multi-adapter compatibility with display capture for it to work with the display plugged in to your motherboard. If you can, strongly recommend you move it. You don't want displays on multiple GPUs in general.

How do I make my new OBS to read those files?

You shouldn't really have to, by default it should be reading from %appdata%\obs-studio

There's obs-studio program file and obs 2 program file. The shortcut to obs-studio folder crashes every time. The other one works but has no info. I found more recent crash files from %appdata%

The crash looks like it might be related to the AMF VCE encoder. Do you have, or at any time have you had, an AMD GPU?

MikeySlice

1.Where can I get multi adapter compatibility?
2.It's not reading it for some reason.
3. I think my laptop did, now I have a Radeon RX480, but it only has 2 HDMI Ports