OBS is using 80% of my CPU will a Virtual Machine/ Emulator work?

LGS Media

So, OBS is using 80% of my CPU which causing me to be in the red at all times. I was wondering if I created a virtual machine or download an pc emulator and ran OBS through that. Would that lessen the percentage of CPU usage? Or would the virtual machine/emulator just use the same amount of CPU usage anyway?

1a obs.png

LGS Media

I made some changes and I am now at 60%. But i will still like to know if this could make any difference

koala

OBS Studio requires a physical GPU. Virtual machines usually don't have one or emulate one, so it isn't a supported platform to run OBS on. Too many things to consider and too many things that can fail.

AaronD

In addition to what @koala said, you seem to misunderstand virtual machines.

It's possible to make each VM think it has an entire machine all to itself, with certain specs, and the total of all those specs is more than the hardware that they all, in fact, share. But if they try to *use* more in total than the hardware that they share, it doesn't work.

Still no free lunch.

The ability to "create specs out of thin air" like that, is useful for "spiky" loads where the spikes don't overlap. Kinda like Tetris, in a way.

LGS Media

OBS Studio requires a physical GPU. Virtual machines usually don't have one or emulate one, so it isn't a supported platform to run OBS on. Too many things to consider and too many things that can fail.
I thought so. Just wasn't sure

LGS Media

In addition to what @koala said, you seem to misunderstand virtual machines.

It's possible to make each VM think it has an entire machine all to itself, with certain specs, and the total of all those specs is more than the hardware that they all, in fact, share. But if they try to *use* more in total than the hardware that they share, it doesn't work.

Still no free lunch.

The ability to "create specs out of thin air" like that, is useful for "spiky" loads where the spikes don't overlap. Kinda like Tetris, in a way.
You are absolutely right. I haven't dealt with virtual machines since Highschool networking class almost six years ago. Thank you for explaining to me.

I went through the settings and adjusted some things and it is going really well. i appreciate you guys. thank you.