Question / Help OBS/ Hauppauge USB Live 2 Problem

MoombasRule

Hi everyone. So I have a Lenovo, with Ubuntu, and I've recently been streaming successfully with OBS (the latest version). The hardware I use is Hauppauge's USB-Live 2, along with various splitters and AV cables. Until yesterday, things have been working well enough for me to record and stream reliably. I have been plugging in the USB Live 2 into the USB 3 port on the right side of my laptop.

However, when I plugged in the USB Live 2 into my laptop yesterday, OBS would not recognize it as a list of devices. In fact, when I loaded OBS, the only device listed was "dev/" something (I didn't make note of it because I just figured it was a minor blip), whereas normally it recognizes and lists the Hauppauge pretty immediately. I tried unplugging/plugging the USB Live 2 back in, I restarted, I checked for updates, and nothing worked (I tried again this morning to no avail).

My first thought was "oh no it's a hardware problem" but the thing is OBS still picks up the audio through the device. Could it be possible that the hardware is damaged in such a way that it now only picks up the audio and not the video from the console I'm streaming?

Aside from that, are there any other thoughts as to what's going on? The only thing I can think of that's changed in between 2 days ago and yesterday are some updates I downloaded, though I can't see how this could be the effect of that. Like I mention, OBS + USB Live 2 has been fine so far, and this is the first time it won't show up as a device in OBS.

I wanted to post before work but as it happens I wasn't able to, so I don't have screenshots etc. available at the moment. I will post a log file when I get home tonight.

Tuna

Code:
11:56:34 PM.644: v4l2-input: Start capture from 
11:56:34 PM.644: v4l2-input: Unable to open device
11:56:34 PM.644: v4l2-input: Initialization failed

So there seems something wrong with either the software or hardware, I would check if other applications work with it.

Also:
The only thing I can think of that's changed in between 2 days ago and yesterday are some updates I downloaded, though I can't see how this could be the effect of that.
Famous last words.. what updates were these?

MoombasRule

I tried checking by using VLC but I don't know what I'm doing. What I tried was Launch VLC > Media > Open Capture Device but the USB Live 2 does not show up. However, it never showed up to begin with when it was working just fine with OBS. I don't know any other way to test out the device--any suggestions? Sorry, I don't know much about using Ubuntu, unfortunately.

I don't know what the updates were. Before this incident I never really inspected what was being updated and just trusted it would work out fine. I've attached a list of Other Software from my Software and Updates, in case that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot II.png
    Screenshot II.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot I.png
    Screenshot I.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 50