OBS has been crashing after 28.0 update

senhpai

Hi,

Ever since I updated my OBS Studio to 28.0 and now to 28.0.3, my OBS Studio has been crashing non-stop. A couple weeks ago, it would keep crashing multiple times immediately after going live until I restart my pc and streaming would be fine. I actually ended up doing a FRESH Windows 10 install because I figured it would help resolve the crashing issue. But it hasn't.

Now on the latest update, my stream was okay for 25 minutes before OBS decided to crash and close itself. I attempted to restart stream, but then I run into the issue of no audio (for viewers). On my audio mixer, I can see the respective audio moving up and down- but my viewers cannot hear anything at all. Shortly after, OBS closed itself AGAIN. I am attaching the 3 log files I found. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2022-10-02 20-18-38.txt
    134.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2022-10-02 21-57-31.txt
    64 KB · Views: 27
  • 2022-10-02 22-00-34.txt
    58.6 KB · Views: 32

PaiSand

You probably instaled OBS 28 over se.live.

Uninstall se.live, then uninstall and reinstall OBS in order to fix the changes made by se.live.
You also can (or should) remove the remaining se.live files from the %appdata%\obs-studio folder.

Do test.

senhpai

You probably instaled OBS 28 over se.live.

Uninstall se.live, then uninstall and reinstall OBS in order to fix the changes made by se.live.
You also can (or should) remove the remaining se.live files from the %appdata%\obs-studio folder.

Do test.
Sounds good, I will test after I get off work today 5pm (PST) I'm pretty sure I installed the se.live plugin after installing base obs studio.

senhpai

Update:
I went into control panel and uninstalled SE.live
I deleted obs studio folder under C:\Program Files as well as %appdata%\obs-studio folder
I uninstalled obs studio and restarted pc

I grabbed new obs studio installer from their site. I also grabbed new se.live installer after installing obs studio. So far, so good - no crashes.

I will comment again if it ends up crashing again- but if not, then everything is working fine! Thank you @PaiSand !

senhpai

@PaiSand

I might've spoken too soon. So my OBS crashed upon ending stream yesterday. And I tested again today, I was mid gaming on Overwatch 2 and OBS crashed out of nowhere.

If my OBS crashes only after ending, I guess I could live with that. But my main concern is OBS crashing mid-stream today. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Crash after ending stream.txt
    131.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Crash mid-stream.txt
    183.9 KB · Views: 23

PaiSand

@PaiSand

I might've spoken too soon. So my OBS crashed upon ending stream yesterday. And I tested again today, I was mid gaming on Overwatch 2 and OBS crashed out of nowhere.

If my OBS crashes only after ending, I guess I could live with that. But my main concern is OBS crashing mid-stream today. Thoughts?
The attached files are not crash reports.
You still use streamelements plugin, which you should have tested without it, and streamfx is in alpha.

You don't need at all the streamelements plugin. You can simple add custom docks linking to the chat and events as shown in streamelements site.
Now, please redo all I asked before to clean the OBS instalation. The only way to see if it's something from OBS is if you remove and test without any plugin. Any. It's up to you to figure out what's the issue.

senhpai

Well, StreamFX is still in Alpha for OBS28 Not stable yet by far so expect issues Try uninstalling it
Odd, because my friend uses the same plugins (StreamFX and SE.live) and they have not had a single crash. But that is something I could try too, I'll switch back to the old encoder that I was using.

The attached files are not crash reports.
You still use streamelements plugin, which you should have tested without it, and streamfx is in alpha.

You don't need at all the streamelements plugin. You can simple add custom docks linking to the chat and events as shown in streamelements site.
Now, please redo all I asked before to clean the OBS instalation. The only way to see if it's something from OBS is if you remove and test without any plugin. Any. It's up to you to figure out what's the issue.
Apologies for the misworded files- they are log files that I found after I got the notification that "OBS has stopped working"

I personally like the streamelements plugin because you can rename the bot to your streamer name - thus not needing to gift StreamElements every month to use your own emotes. And also, reinstallation has helped it not crash immediately after going live so thank you for that. I'm going to switch my encoder and see if that helps.

Psyconick

hey guys ! I don't know were to look at, but my OBS keep randomly crashing with OBS 28.x.x
I did format my PC, re-install from scratch, and still crashes. I have to mentionned that I use OBS installation from Steam.

Attachments

• Crash 2022-11-06 11-15-39.txt
    93.7 KB · Views: 40

deFrisselle

hey guys ! I don't know were to look at, but my OBS keep randomly crashing with OBS 28.x.x
I did format my PC, re-install from scratch, and still crashes. I have to mentionned that I use OBS installation from Steam.
You have an issue with the OBS Chromium Embedded Framework
Download OBS from this site and install Report back if you have issues

Kindred

Hey everyone, so for the last 2 weeks I have had crashing midstream, no notice no anything and everything freezes. I can't close out OBS regularly, I have to close it out in the task manager. I don't get a crash report or anything. I've uninstalled OBS completely, wiped all the files and it ran ok yesterday for a 7 hour stream, but today it crashed on me at the 2 hour mark and I have no idea why. Is SE.Live known for causing issues with OBS 28? Before I wiped it I was getting encoding errors claiming my GPU was out of date and I just updated it before going live. I've had to install Streamlabs and I hate Streamlabs but it's the only thing that works without crashing right now.

beduja

Hey everyone, so for the last 2 weeks I have had crashing midstream, no notice no anything and everything freezes. I can't close out OBS regularly, I have to close it out in the task manager. I don't get a crash report or anything. I've uninstalled OBS completely, wiped all the files and it ran ok yesterday for a 7 hour stream, but today it crashed on me at the 2 hour mark and I have no idea why. Is SE.Live known for causing issues with OBS 28? Before I wiped it I was getting encoding errors claiming my GPU was out of date and I just updated it before going live. I've had to install Streamlabs and I hate Streamlabs but it's the only thing that works without crashing right now.
Similar thing is happening with my OBS where it just freezes after ~10min of being open. I've uninstalled the SE.live plugin, uninstalled and reinstalled OBS multiple times but no change. Not sure if somehow there's still some SE.live files that weren't uninstalled or if it's something different.

I also tried using the latest NVIDIA Studio and Game Ready drivers, both have the same error. Attaching the most recent log.

Attachments

• 2022-12-13 21-13-35.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Kindred

It has an extremely long history of breaking core components of obs, dating back to long before OBS 28.
Interesting, because I have used SE.Live since the beginning and have never had any issues with it and have used OBS before it was OBS Studio so I am familiar with the inner workings of OBS. They have never clashed before with me, and this crashing issues only started when I started using OBS 28.

PaiSand

Have you intalled OBS 28 over a previous version without uninstalling completelly SE.Live? That includes removing the leftover files inside %appdata%\obs-studio
If you did, now you know.
There are too many threads in this forum about issues with se.live before OBS 28, and after.
And for an unkown reason, now we're again on the same place, with many people using this (now real) plugin with crashing issues.