OBS Freezing about 1.5 hrs into stream on one specific Sceneset. High End win11 PC. Experienced user.

JohnBBeta

Hi folks. OBS has always been super stable for me (since I moved from Mac to PC a couple of years ago - but I'm having an issue with one of my scenesets where it seems to be the only one that will always make OBS crash after about 1.5 hours. Other times I stream, with different scenescets of visuals, all similarly complicated run thought just fine.

I've recently upgraded my streaming PC to a new one - the previous NEVER crashed. (Windows 10. 5800x, 3080.) The new PC is a 5950X with a 3090, 64Gb RAM - custom built by SCAN, so should be solid as a rock and seems fine otherwise. It came supplied with Win 11, so I just went with that & don't really feel like wiping everything to roll back to Win 10 so could do with some experienced help with what's up with my logs as not something I've had to look into before.

I do DJ sets several times a week and have been for the last few years, streaming via restream.io to twitch. My set up is pretty hardcore, probably around 50+ scenes that just cycle through using advanced scene switcher. Occasionally I trigger certain scenes with a streamdeck, then the cycle just carries on.

I'm running the most recent version of OBS, and Advanced scene switcher. NVIDIA drivers always kept up to date. Prior to last crash I hadn't upgraded whatever the HS2S big windows 11 upgrade as I'd heard it had issues with NVIDIA drivers and held off, so thought it may be that. I have since done the upgrade so windows 11 is fully up to date, same with NVIDIA. And it still crashed on this sceneset.

I run OBS in admin mode.

Symptom is, about 1.5 hours into stream the video freezes, for viewers the stream drops, my end I see frozen video and OBS unresponsive though the audio meters still active in OBS. I have to cntl alt delete to force OBS to quit. I'm then able to relaunch it and start the stream up again and it survives OK until I end the stream. I only really stream for about 2.5 hours so unsure if it would freeze again later.

Really not sure what's causing this, pretty sure all my sources are behaving OK, and I don't have this issue with any of my other scenesets, which also have gazillions of scenes in the same way and never ever crash - its only limited to this one sceneset...

I don't really know whats going on with the logs but I see loads of "warning: Could not update timestamps for skipped samples." - googling that hasn't shown me anything that really helps.

I also notice a " [adv-ss] detected busy loop - refusing to sleep less than 1ms" a few times, coudl that be something.

(Note at 1719 I noticed I hadn't set the webcam to the right source so did that mid stream, but I've done that stuff before and had no issues so shouldn't be that...)

Uploading the log in the hope anyone with more detailed Devvvvvy knowledge could help shed some light on this and hopefully help find a solution that won't require me to clean install the whole system and just ditch win11 hahah!

(If you're wondering how/why my scenes are so mad have a look on my youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvypCiEOHYqlz6GQkaphTy-XY3QBXY08x)

Attachments

• 2022-12-02 16-03-24.txt
    211.2 KB · Views: 15

JohnBBeta

One small update, I just checked and 'game mode' was enabled on the stream PC - I've turned it off. Not sure if that is important here but I've seen it mentioned on other threads & don't need it in my use case anyway. Will report back when I've had a chance to test. THough I think something else is at play here.

1ceberg

I am having the same issue ever since version 28.1.1. I tried rolling back graphics drivers and using the newest ones, both unsuccessful. I have also fresh installed everything and that changed nothing. Also on windows 11, but had no issues until this update.

JohnBBeta

thanks Iceberg. glad I'm not alone. Hope some devs could chime in with ideas. I'm happy to do clean re-install roll back to windows 10 if we know that would fix it - but could just be that the previous version of OBS back 6 months ago when i was win10 was the reason it was more stable :-/

DonBeJ

In the same boat with crashes yesterday after 35 mins, ~10 mins, then made it 6.5 hours after a fresh reinstall thinking I'd fixed it before it happened again.

Probably going to try rolling back to latest version 27 build and see how that goes today

JohnBBeta

In the same boat with crashes yesterday after 35 mins, ~10 mins, then made it 6.5 hours after a fresh reinstall thinking I'd fixed it before it happened again.

Probably going to try rolling back to latest version 27 build and see how that goes today
Are you on windows 10 or 11?

1ceberg

I've rolled back graphics drivers, obs version, and just did a fresh install of obs with no plugins or anything and it still freezes.

1ceberg

what version of obs did you roll back to? latest 27 build?
I went all the way back to 27.1.3. I believe the error is linked to a windows 11 update (22H2). That update lines up with when this issue started for me and other people on the discord have the same statements.

JohnBBeta

Ah see I got the freeze before I updated to 22H2... My theory is it's windows 11 full stop. WHich is a pain as it means a complete clean reinstall of everything if I'm to cure it. I hope do god there's a new OBS update on the way that will fix the issue! thanks for the update

1ceberg

Ah see I got the freeze before I updated to 22H2... My theory is it's windows 11 full stop. WHich is a pain as it means a complete clean reinstall of everything if I'm to cure it. I hope do god there's a new OBS update on the way that will fix the issue! thanks for the update
Comments on the discord made it seem like it is a known issue, so hopefully. I would bet a windows 10 install would fix the issue but I don't think I want to do that

1ceberg

yeah me neither!!
Do you have HAGS on? If not, try turning that off. I turned that off and streamed 7.5 hours with no freezes!

1670993672783.png

JohnBBeta

Will test that now. I did a test stream today and it went 3 hrs with no freeze. I'd spotted one potential issue - in my OBS Audio settings I should have had all the global audio devices disabled, as I just use a USB audio input on each scene instead. I noticed I had one of the gloabl audio devices set to default, and I think it was pulling audio from an old webcam, that only outputs its audio at 8Hz or something horrible - that may have been conflicting with my correct global 48Hz and causing the issues. But it still doesnt explain why it seems that only on one of my scenesets the freezes were happening... Will test with HAGS off and see whats up. thanks for the pointer - glad it seems to have fixed your issues!

JohnBBeta

2hr stream went fine tonight - no freeze. First time no freeze with this sceneset. First time with HAGS off but also with all media files with audio track removed. Noticing hardly any "warning: Could not update timestamps for skipped samples." in the logs now - though that error still appears on ANY scene with audio in media. Not sure why but as long as OBS doesn;t crash on me I don't care hah! Will update here if any problems persist.