Question / Help OBS FPS going low -PLEASE HELP

I can also confirm that browser sources may be the couse of the fps drops, I (think) I'm dealing with the same issue. Every time a browser source pops up on my stream, the game I'm playing drops frames. Now, I don't want to lessen the browser sources (they're my main source of interraction between my viewers and the stream itself) but my question is why, since I've been using the same browser sources for quite some time now, only lately this issue appeared?? Apparently it's not a singular "Windows issue" that could be fixed with a clean install... So, what do we do now?

Blearky

@Osiris Thanks for the help first and I am glad that atleast it works now. But a problem I ran into is that a 1080 hits the 250 fps mark quit easy in games like Rocket League.
And I don´t want to stream in 250 FPS for logical reasons but I would like to play the games with more then 60 FPS. It worked a while ago (before the Creator Update from Windows 10 hits in and everyone from your devs did there best to make work arounds and so on) but now I have to play with V-Sync nearly all the time. This is unsattisfying and even problematic in games where you need a high FPS. The most say it has something to do with the new "aero mode" in Windows 10 but I hope there will be a solution soon.
Thanks again for the help and have a nice weekend :D

I can also confirm that browser sources may be the couse of the fps drops, I (think) I'm dealing with the same issue. Every time a browser source pops up on my stream, the game I'm playing drops frames. Now, I don't want to lessen the browser sources (they're my main source of interraction between my viewers and the stream itself) but my question is why, since I've been using the same browser sources for quite some time now, only lately this issue appeared?? Apparently it's not a singular "Windows issue" that could be fixed with a clean install... So, what do we do now?
@Osiris Thanks for the help first and I am glad that atleast it works now. But a problem I ran into is that a 1080 hits the 250 fps mark quit easy in games like Rocket League.
And I don´t want to stream in 250 FPS for logical reasons but I would like to play the games with more then 60 FPS. It worked a while ago (before the Creator Update from Windows 10 hits in and everyone from your devs did there best to make work arounds and so on) but now I have to play with V-Sync nearly all the time. This is unsattisfying and even problematic in games where you need a high FPS. The most say it has something to do with the new "aero mode" in Windows 10 but I hope there will be a solution soon.
Thanks again for the help and have a nice weekend :D

Have you tried the solution I stated? I use 4 - 5 browser sources at a time and my frame rates are above 70-90 fps on gpu heavy games now like GTA v and BF1 using medium encoding preset.. The only real issues ive encountered is capping the CPU, which is remedied by using faster presets for encoding, which wasnt in my tests since I wanted to see how well a Ryzen 7 1700 could actually do with slower encodes.

Is it windows 10 game mode since that makes windows focus more power into the game?!

No, I dont believe that game mode is a factor, I've done tests with it on and off, I do think theres some thing on the back end of windows doing it, it didnt do this before but I cant figure that part out.

This is a problem related to Windows 10. Test Windows 7/8.1 and see. OBS won't struggle and lose any frames, even with uncapped ingame framerate and 98% GPU load.

The general advice is "do not overload your GPU. Limit framerate in game".
But that's absolutely not necessary in Win 7/8.1.

I've been trying to find out what's wrong with Windows 10 for a long time. It's not game mode or anything people usually recommend. The combination of Win 10 + OBS + GPU under heavy load simply doesn't work for some strange reason.

Last edited:

Osiris

It may just be that Win 10 uses your GPU a bit more then Win 7/8.1. But limiting framerate in older Windows versions was definitely a thing, you can't expect OBS to work without rendering lag when your GPU is at 99%

@CriticalChocolate I havn't tested it yet but your post (and another one I read from a guy saying to put all non-showing sources to "shoutdown when not showing") made me do a clean-up on my stream, removing all unwanted/unused sources of all kinds (Display sources, Media sources, Image sources etc), not only Browser sources. I noticed the cef_bootsrap.exe applications went down from 12 to 6-7 (depending on what Scene I'm using) which is nice on it's own. Also, I completly removed the Tip Jar as some said it was the main culprit and it wasn't really providing anything more for the stream other than being a cool gimmick.

Other than that, I have no idea if that actually fixed anything as I didn't test streaming yet but I will update when I have more info! :P

It may just be that Win 10 uses your GPU a bit more then Win 7/8.1. But limiting framerate in older Windows versions was definitely a thing, you can't expect OBS to work without rendering lag when your GPU is at 99%
I don't remember having to cap my in game framerate in Windows 8.1 in any game. The only thing I'd do is lower the settings a bit to be able to reach 120 fps+. Maybe there's a threshold of GPU usage by the games or something. OBS was always rock solid 60 fps in Win 8. I have a 1080 by the way

This is a problem related to Windows 10. Test Windows 7/8.1 and see. OBS won't struggle and lose any frames, even with uncapped ingame framerate and 98% GPU load.

The general advice is "do not overload your GPU. Limit framerate in game".
But that's absolutely not necessary in Win 7/8.1.

I've been trying to find out what's wrong with Windows 10 for a long time. It's not game mode or anything people usually recommend. The combination of Win 10 + OBS + GPU under heavy load simply doesn't work for some strange reason.

While this effect does happen under heavy load its not exclusive to a capped out GPU, I just tried playing Paragon with all my settings maxed and obs open, with the OBS preview enabled and chrome open (which as I stated earlier has a severe effect on OBS fps provided that hardware acceleration is on) which left my GPU on a solid 99-98% usage and no lagged frames. should I turn on preview it can happen around 80% usage and fairly randomly.

While yes I think the issue is tied to Windows 10 and GPU usage I cannot say that it is solely a GPU load issue. I've used obs for years without that issue, and I would get dropped frames before I'd get lagged frames in the past and I'd say this is relatively new as an issue to my streaming experience within the past 4 or 5 years using obs.

@CriticalChocolate I havn't tested it yet but your post (and another one I read from a guy saying to put all non-showing sources to "shoutdown when not showing") made me do a clean-up on my stream, removing all unwanted/unused sources of all kinds (Display sources, Media sources, Image sources etc), not only Browser sources. I noticed the cef_bootsrap.exe applications went down from 12 to 6-7 (depending on what Scene I'm using) which is nice on it's own. Also, I completly removed the Tip Jar as some said it was the main culprit and it wasn't really providing anything more for the stream other than being a cool gimmick.

Other than that, I have no idea if that actually fixed anything as I didn't test streaming yet but I will update when I have more info! :P

Tip Jar is a cool gimmick indeed which is why I set out to find a better solution than just removing it. each bootstrap represents a new browser source, and having that many could have an effect, Im down to 4 and I rarely have issues atm. Shutdown when not showing is good for when you switch scenes so you dont have more sources loaded when not in use. Really do suggest trying what I did, and if it doesnt solve it completely I suggest also turning off OBS preview as well, it seems to work for me and I'm hoping this can resolve people that have the same problem

GevatterBaer

Today 720/60 , Battlefront 2, 34fps in OBS - In the damn Menu! Vsync, 60 fps, disabled browser sources. afterburner 17% cpu and 30% gupu. What the fuck is wrong!?

joxgamer00

Hi there,

i have some problems with using obs or other streaming software with my new computer. I cant baerly hold 60 fps at most games,and i cant get why. I tought some hardware is on limit but...please help me. Dont have Problems like this the last months with my old pc and my 390X.

i uploaded my log from a test stream, the hardware monitor and the fps counter on obs. Something is realy fucking me up.
I'm losing frames on rendering? BUT WHY!? Nothing is on Limit. No changes when i use GPU Codec. I...see that there is some improvements when i disable the preview in OBS completly.

My Specs:

Win 10
Ryzen 7 1700 @3,7Ghz
16 GB RAM
Geforce 1080X Gaming
Crucial SSD
I fixed it by changing the "reduction filter" from 32 to bilinear, in video configuration in obs