Question / Help OBS FPS going low -PLEASE HELP

GevatterBaer

Hi there,

i have some problems with using obs or other streaming software with my new computer. I cant baerly hold 60 fps at most games,and i cant get why. I tought some hardware is on limit but...please help me. Dont have Problems like this the last months with my old pc and my 390X.

i uploaded my log from a test stream, the hardware monitor and the fps counter on obs. Something is realy fucking me up.
I'm losing frames on rendering? BUT WHY!? Nothing is on Limit. No changes when i use GPU Codec. I...see that there is some improvements when i disable the preview in OBS completly.

My Specs:

Win 10
Ryzen 7 1700 @3,7Ghz
16 GB RAM
Geforce 1080X Gaming
Crucial SSD

Attachments

• 2017-09-28 06-48-11.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 34
  • dawnofwar3.PNG
    dawnofwar3.PNG
    110 KB · Views: 64
  • Dawnofwar3-2.PNG
    Dawnofwar3-2.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I just made a reddit post so I will copy paste all of that in here.

Hello, I've been struggling with this issue recently and have noticed that there was a heap of problems when the Creators Update was introduced, however I do not have that preview build and I am unsure what exactly is causing it. I do not have a log file as this issue occurs even when not recording, as long as obs is up it will happen.

How I test my issue is by running a game (this issue is not exclusive to dx 9 as the original bug post implies) such as Final Fantasy XIV in dx11 or BF1 in dx12 modes, have obs open with preview on, auto run in a direction and observe frame rate on obs.

When the game is my selected window, OBS frame rates go down even though cpu usage stays the same as seen in this image -> https://i.imgur.com/oSpoIca.jpg

When any other window is open (ie alt+tab or click obs for example) the cpu usage is the same, frame rate jumps back up to the maximum setting, and all appears smooth as should be.

-> https://imgur.com/yrOPB7G

I seen people say stuff about AVAST but i want to clear that out now by saying i do not run AVAST, and I have disabled the game mode built into windows. Both settings did nothing as well did the properties option to disable full screen optimizations in both the games .exe and OBS

if anyone knows a solution it would help me out a bunch!

it took me a while to find out what was happening but I cant find a solution myself on how to force windows to not divert any attention from obs.

PS my PC spec just for reference: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7ghz (1.25v) Trident-Z 3Mhz DDR-4 RAM

I Followed up my post with this finding
I just want to add a temporary solution to this issue with some new findings I just made. So I just updated my windows in the event that it would fix something but it was to no avail, however, I just tried force closing all cef-bootstrap.exe's that i could find and my frame rate is solid 59.94 on OBS. Why is this exactly? Well it would seem that the issue is tied to browser source. The scenes I have now have a few browser source options enabled, Alerts, tip jar, event list and sub pop ups which I got from stream labs. The tip jar seems to have the greatest hit while I test this issue. Closing these browser sources however is not a solution to the problem, if i do not focus the game, no mater if i have the browser sources on or off, the frame rate tops off, and is only worsened when the game is selected. I will continue looking into it.

In summary, there seems to be an issue revolving around windows not giving enough attention to obs when the game is being focused on. Having any browser source plugins on screen worsens the effect. As a temporary band aid, try what i did, get rid of the bootstraps through task manager and remove any browser sources you have. If you want to test to see if your issue is like mine as well try leaving the game running and select another window/alt tab and see if obs does the same thing.

I hope we both get an answer for this

ps- LINK to my reddit post

Following up to my response after looking at your log, I think I can confirm that you and I are having the same issues seeing as you have these sources

06:48:14.805: - source: 'Anzeige - Last Follower' (browser_source)
06:48:14.805: - source: 'Anzeige - Last Sub' (browser_source)
06:48:14.805: - source: 'Anzeige - Last Donation' (browser_source)
06:48:14.805: - source: 'Alert - Follower und Hosts' (browser_source)
06:48:14.805: - source: 'Alert - Sub' (browser_source)

these are the only things that atm I can relate to the same issue. So try doing what I said before and see if that is the right step for now.

GevatterBaer

Hi there!

thank you for your reply! Now when you say it...yeah, there is realy something - when i dont fokus the Game, the FPS in OBS jump to max again. i tryed to disable the preview this morning, that also helps with the obs fps. But...dont know. I think there is something wrong at the moment - it cant be gpu overload every time! i will try this browser source thing in the evening, but as you say that only could be a temporaly solution

GevatterBaer

And i'm fucking remember that i dont have these Problemsm month before with my old system - and that was not a monster like this now.

GevatterBaer

HA! i found the little fuckers! This is fucking me up. When i end the processes in task manager, all is runing smooth at 60 fps. so what to do now? i need the sources for my alerts?

Attachments

• cefbot.PNG
    cefbot.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 393
Honestly i dont know what to do yet and im just a bit away from convincing myself to do a clean windows 10 install. I think one of the windows updates might have something to do with it, or an amd ryzen chipset update but it would be impossible for me to find out at this point. Im hoping we can have some more insight on this issue

I want to add another finding here, GPU usage is somewhat tied to the issue.
When in game with unscaled frame rates , gpu usage hovers around 95-98 this is when OBS starts to lose those frames (not dropped just to clarify). My monitor lets me switch between 60hz and 100hz on a dime, and when i switch to 60hz my gpu usage is around 60-75% and obs doesnt lose any performance.

I do realize this issue but I still think its not the sole culprit as the issue still gets remedied when the game isnt selected as the active window, regardless of GPU usage or any allocated cef-bootstrap.exes

GevatterBaer

Without the cefbootstrap's its better, but not as good as it could. Something is there still wrong. Why is there allways very good fps when the game is not focused, but when focused all is fucked up? i cant run Star Wars Battlefront on 720/60 with a Ryzen 7 and a GTX 1080? There must be something wrong! Dont remember this bad performance with a core i7 4920k and a 390X the last months

yea its a damn shame, it should work smoothly on our hard ware but atm we are dealing with comprimises on our end and so far no real answer for this.

Without the cefbootstrap's its better, but not as good as it could. Something is there still wrong. Why is there allways very good fps when the game is not focused, but when focused all is fucked up? i cant run Star Wars Battlefront on 720/60 with a Ryzen 7 and a GTX 1080? There must be something wrong! Dont remember this bad performance with a core i7 4920k and a 390X the last months

I have a quick question as I may have found a solution, do you run chrome while doing all of this? or any kind of browser at that

yeah, i have a part of my dashboard in chrome. hm...i will test in this direction.
The solution i found, in your google chrome settings disable hardware acceleration, this fixed my issue somewhat. Playback on preview OBS will look not as smooth but the stream is locked to 60 FPS

currently testing it here https://go.twitch.tv/criticalchocolate using medium preset 1080p 60fps. seems solid but my game keeps crashing lol not sure if medium preset is too much

Osiris

You need to enable vsync in the game, you are probably overloading your GPU.
And judging by all those cef-bootstrap processes, you need to cut down on the browser sources. Don't add new browser sources when you already have one with the URL configured, use Add Existing option for those.

You need to enable vsync in the game, you are probably overloading your GPU.
And judging by all those cef-bootstrap processes, you need to cut down on the browser sources. Don't add new browser sources when you already have one with the URL configured, use Add Existing option for those.
its not the GPU, we have a similar issue with the same context, practically same hardware and scene setups.
GevatterBaer After you turn off hardware acceleration on chrome, try also disabling preview on OBS, see if your frame rate stays solid then.

What I do not understand in my case then, is if this is a gpu prioritization issue, then why is this issue remedied, for me at least by simply stopping hardware acceleration on my browser. Shouldnt the gpu still be prioritizing the game regardless?