Question / Help OBS FPS Drops when OBS screen is inactive and become 60 when I selected it

soreal

Hello!
I have strange issue with fps on the stream while streaming games like AC Odyssey or Shadow of Tomb Raider.
I can stream a few hours without any issues but sometimes OBS FPS drops to 28-40. One of the solution is make OBS window active, when FPS come to 60 as well. But later this issue returns.

I have the same problem a year ago and my solution was disabling Game Mode which comes with Fall Windows Update. But now I have no idea what happening.
No matter if I use veryfast/superfast presets. or choose lower graphic settings in the game. It seems like windows set to OBS low priority (but I tried to set high priority in OBS setting without any difference)

I have 8700k and gtx1070 so I think this is some kind of software problem.
I'll thank for any assumptions and help! Log included

Attachments

• 2018-10-02 12-48-23.txt
    38.6 KB · Views: 65

Frecky_D

I have the exact same issue.
7700k (delidded running @ 4.8GHz) and 2 x GTX1080ti's.

I have found that this only happens on certain games. For e.g. it doesn't happen when streaming Dota2 or ROE, but does happen when streaming PUBG, Battlefield, AC Odyssey, COD and pretty much any other new title.
The issue only started for me around 4 weeks ago and no matter what I change I cannot fix it.

Maugly

Same issue. I tryed Streamlabs OBS and there is no such frame drop. Thinking to use it, but its not so flexible as original OBS

Narcogen

Your GPU is overloaded.

14:57:26.229: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 407 (1.2%)

You need to limit the framerate in the game to leave OBS room to work, given that you also have multiple additiona video sources with filters on them.

You also have Display and Game sources in the same scene which can reduce performance, even if one is hidden.

soreal

Your GPU is overloaded.

14:57:26.229: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 407 (1.2%)

You need to limit the framerate in the game to leave OBS room to work, given that you also have multiple additiona video sources with filters on them.

You also have Display and Game sources in the same scene which can reduce performance, even if one is hidden.

Thank you! I didn't know that unactive and hidden sources required resources as active... I'll try to delete display source from all scenes

soreal

I tried to delete some sources like Display Capture but it doesn't help. Also I tried to hide preview without any positive effect, reinstall video drivers with "clear setup" option.
If I take an OBS window as active - stream fps normilize up to constant 60 FPS , but when I make active a game window on the second display this issue comes back (really looks like Windows drops an OBS priority when OBS works in background, may be I should check some Windows/Nvidia settings?)

Last time I had this issue in Overkill's The walking dead which have not high requirments for videocard, so I don't sure that problem with my GTX1070 low-performance...

soreal

Yes, I limit ingame FPS to 60 and had no changes. Also tried to stream at 30FPS/720p - it dosn't matter

soreal

Here is log file with recording Assasins Creed Odyssey:
https://obsproject.com/logs/W5ntULWqj0lrL_XD

And I pinned a screenshot of GPU-Z while recording was active

1111.gif

BK-Morpheus

Ok, seems like the GPU is still running close to maximum load with spikes up to 100%, that's one reason, why there are rendering issues in OBS.
Reduce game details and maybe clean up your scene, as you are stacking multiple capture methods in one scene (monitor capture + game capture in the same scene).

soreal

So, I solve the problem by launching both monitors on 60Hz. I don't know is this nvidia driver problem or Win10, and I didn't receive any solution from nvidia and MS.