Question / Help OBS Files and Sony Vegas Problem [Resolved]

AJRimmer

Hi,

Love OBS. I use it to record. I've recently switched to using Sony Vegas to edit videos. When I import MP4 files from OBS, Vegas freezes up, says it is not responding -- but then eventually loads the file. While editing in Vegas, often times moving around to different spots in the video will cause Vegas to freeze/not respond or give ellipses by the frame number.

I believe the issue is to do with the OBS files because I have an Elgato HD60 (and their Game Capture software) which creates MP4's that work perfectly with Vegas.

Is there some setting in OBS that might be messing up Vegas? I'm using OBS Multiplatform for Windows.

(As I'm still new to OBS recording, I'm sure some of my settings aren't perfect for recording. Feel free to give me suggests if anything sticks out!)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2016-02-23 18-32-39.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

FerretBomb

Make sure constant frame rate (CFR) is enabled. Vegas throws a tantrum if it isn't.

Also, DO NOT record to MP4 directly. It is a VERY fragile file format, and if OBS or your computer crashes mid-recording (or while closing out the file), all footage in progress will be irrecoverably lost, permanently. Record to FLV and use the 'remux' command in the menu to convert the FLV into MP4, or use the quick remux guide to do it manually:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-convert-flvs-to-mp4-fast-without-re-encoding.78/

Recording to FLV will only lose the last few seconds prior to the crash, instead of the entire recording. Just change the 'record to' filename to make the switch.

I use Sony Vegas with the output from OBS no problem. I have Sony Vegas pro 12.0 and am running build 770. I have to use the MP4 container as Vegas does not like FLV. You can always try recording in FLV and then remixing to MP4 but that also has limitations i.e. it doesn't support multiple audio tracks.

So it works for me, share some of the details of your Sony Vegas config and I'll see what I can do to help.

AJRimmer

Thanks for the responses!

I thought CFR was always enable in the multiplatform version of OBS. If not, where is the setting? I will also try FLV.

As for Vegas, I have Vegas 13. And am using everything pretty much as it comes. Besides changing the project settings to 1080, 60 frames, I haven't changed much else. Is there any I'm missing with that?

Thanks again!

AJRimmer

I think I have CBR turned on. As far as bitrate goes, in OBS I have it set to 30,000 but in the log it shows as 3,000,000. So I would set it to 20,000,000 as the bitrate in OBS? As someone who's newer to OBS, why is the bitrate number in the OBS program different to what I see in the log? And also how does the bitrate effect what happens with Vegas?

Thanks!

chummy

I will try messing with keyframes try 2, 5 and 10 seconds and see which one Vegas give better responsiveness.

AJRimmer

Seems that way. Does anybody who uses Vegas 13 have any recommendations for settings in OBS that works smoothly for them?

AJRimmer

I did some testing and it was the Keyframe setting. I set it on 2 (was on 0) and now everything works perfect in Vegas (so far...).

Thanks for the help all!