OBS File Output Tutorial - Good Quality Settings :-)

Joe33345

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQm3H_qfeQ

Thought this might help those who want to put out the best quality for maybe youtube videos or videos you can edit in Sony Vegas. Remember that these ideas stated in this tutorial are MY opinion. If your setup runs fine or different settings run better than awesome :D! I just make these tutorials to try to help others who are confused or seek help :-)

JoeNumbers

Jim said:
Also make sure to use test 11 or 0.47a (when it's released) and up, versions older than that can have issues with the mp4 files

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Also make sure to use test 11 or 0.47a (when it's released) and up, versions older than that can have issues with the mp4 files

dehixem

Watched the video, nice work :)
With the latest update there is a CRF option though, is using the default CRF better than using a custom CRF (like 18 in your video) ?

Joe33345

dehixem said:
Watched the video, nice work :)
With the latest update there is a CRF option though, is using the default CRF better than using a custom CRF (like 18 in your video) ?

Just to correct. The Option under Advanced in Test 11 is actually CFR, it's really close on the lettering obviously so I can understand the mistake.

CFR: Constant Frame Rate. My guess as to why this was implemented is to fix the bad framerate issue when you load the MP4 files into a program and your fps reads like it's 1000 fps lol. This can help in programs like Sony Vegas and TMPGEnc if you want to edit the video before finalizing :-)

CRF: Constant Rate Factor - Default: 23
The final ratecontrol method: Constant Ratefactor. While qp targets a certain quantizer, and bitrate targets a certain filesize, crf targets a certain 'quality'. The idea is for crf n to give the same perceptual quality as qp n, just in a smaller space. The arbitrary unit of measure for crf values is the "ratefactor".

CRF Default being 23 will lower the file size of the output file while losing quality. The quality lost though obviously is so minimal but for Obsessers, me :P, CRF at 18 is really the best for file size/quality output ratio in my opinion :-)

Hope that helps :D

JoeNumbers

Joe33345

You are welcome sir!

and to add on what Jim was talking about in his earlier post. Files in 0.466a or lower had issues with either audio sync or not allowing themselves to be added in Sony Vegas without issues. So yes.. get the most newest build ;-)

misterpopo

I have a problem - whenever I do this, Its records fine and I can play fine.
But when I prievew it by a media player (tried 3 different ones) and uploaded it to youtube, the video output itself is stuttering. It just freezes and then comes back to normal. any idea why?

misterpopo

Joe33345 said:
could I get your PC Specs plz? and do you notice any dropped frames on OBS during the recording?
no, I didnt. Was fine playing
i5 3470 3.20 Ghz
8gb ram
nvidia 440
also my obs encoding settings:
quality balance 8
max bitrate 2000
buffer size 4000
fps is 30

Gamewolf

I tried out the same settings as you use in the video, and the quality is superb. however, the video is stuttering/fps lagging, but the thing is that it's only the video, when i play the game and record it there is no stuttering/fps lag ( at least what i can see) which confuses me quite a bit. Any idea of how to fix this?

my specs are

intel core i5 2500k
asus nvidia geforce gtx 580 matrix
2x4 GB ram

jdm12983

Gamewolf said:
I tried out the same settings as you use in the video, and the quality is superb. however, the video is stuttering/fps lagging, but the thing is that it's only the video, when i play the game and record it there is no stuttering/fps lag ( at least what i can see) which confuses me quite a bit. Any idea of how to fix this?

my specs are

intel core i5 2500k
2x4 GB ram

One thing to look at: what video player you watching the videos with?

I used to play my videos mainly in QuickTime when I could - and sometimes Windows Media Player. But when they would play they would stutter/lag in the video.

Turns out it was just the players themselves. I switched to a free program called "VLC Media Player" (http://www.videolan.org/) and plays the same videos perfectly.

Try that video player out and see if that helps any.

Eraxar

Gamewolf said:

my specs are

intel core i5 2500k
2x4 GB ram

Had the same problem, solution for me was to switch x264 CPU Preset in advanced settings from veryfast to superfast