Question / Help OBS Encoder Issues with Video Editors

MWR

Hi, this is my first thread here.

So I installed OBS, along with Sony Vegas Pro 15. The browser game's FPS while I'm recording are alright! Previewing the recording in mp4: good as well!... well, while using Hardware(QSV) / Quicksync H.264 Encoding.
Issues:
When I put the recording in a video editor to preview it: I get this junk:
l7vatMu.png

Look at the preview: Now, here it happened to be really black, but there are a lot of chaotic pixels. And that occurs when I encode the recording with QuickSync / Hardware(QSV)

Now, when I encode with x264... well... it gets overloaded. Told me to change the encoding or to lower the screen resolution. Did both, same overload, same lag.

I also tried it with Camtasia Studio, same thing, same preview errors!

My questions:
1. Is it an issue with the OBS encoder(because that's what it looks like) that's causing the preview glitch
2. Is it an issue with the editor itself(please note that I used 2 rather popular video editors, same result)
3. Is it an issue due to the lack of some drivers? This PC is rather new, and I hope I didn't miss any drivers.
Thanks, and I hope I'll get an answer!(also please try to be clear, I'm not an expert).

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Check the video playback in a proper player like VLC. If it works there, the issue is with the editor itself. Even the "popular" editors are notorious for having terrible format support.

MWR

Nope, VLC does the same, distorsion is still there!
[EDIT]: Forgot to mention: It does that only when I skip to different parts of the recording, same within the video editor.

Last edited:

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Those settings are pretty terrible for local recordings.

Use the recording quality presets under Settings > Output when in Simple output mode. In the recording section, change the Recording Quality to Indistinguishable Quality, and then select QSV as your encoder.

MWR

----
Problem solved, I've got support from DWKnight in the community chat, with his help I fixed the issue. Thanks a lot for the support.

Aadil

Hey, I have the same problem (exactly same).Will anyone mind helping me out?
@MWR If you just write what you did to fix this here would easily help me & many people with the same problem.

Hydrael

To anybody with this problem thanks to DreadWingKnight on discord the solution is to save to mkv or flv instead of mp4 then convert the file (I use VLC Media Player)