OBS dropping frames everytime i start streaming. please help

flamegigz

My System
Cpu- ryzen 5800x
Gpu- rtx 3070
Ram- 32gb 3600mhz
mobo- asus tuf gaming b550+

A few days ago, I started streaming on YouTube, and I noticed that whenever I clicked "Start Streaming," frame drops would begin, and my bitrate wouldn't go above 8k, fluctuating between 2k, 3k, and 4k, even though I had it set to 35,000. My internet speed is 140 Mbps for both download and upload, so that shouldn’t be the issue. After restarting the stream, everything would go back to normal—no frame drops, no bitrate fluctuations—so I kept streaming like this for a few days: starting the stream, stopping it, and then starting again.

But just yesterday, the same trick stopped working. No matter how many times I restarted, 19 out of 20 attempts had 49-60% frame drops, and the bitrate wouldn't stabilize. I called my ISP, explained everything, and even brought over a friend’s gaming laptop to test. On his laptop, using my internet (both Wi-Fi and ethernet), there were no problems—his stream ran smoothly every time. My ISP also checked everything and said there were no issues on their end.

I’m exhausted from trying so many things—uninstalling and reinstalling OBS multiple times, restarting my PC over and over, and even resetting the whole system out of frustration. But nothing seems to work. I’m at a loss. If anyone knows what could be causing this or how to fix it, I’d really appreciate some help!

Attachments

• 2024-10-17 18-31-22.txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 9

jhaglund

I had a work around for a couple weeks, by setting the RTMPS server to primary backup in the Settings -> Stream -> Server -> Primary Backup Youtube Ingest server. Today, it started doing the same thing again as described on all servers. I lowered the bitrate to whatever OBS bitrate dips down too. E.g., 25000, set to 7000. YouTube's issue if you ask me.

koala

I called my ISP, explained everything, and even brought over a friend’s gaming laptop to test. On his laptop, using my internet (both Wi-Fi and ethernet), there were no problems
You identified the problem correctly as network issue. You even sorted out your ISP by trying your friend's laptop. It works and your PC in the same local network not, so it's something with your PC. A network issue on your PC. This could be a firewall issue or a network card driver issue on your PC.
Or hardware, may be a LAN cable issue (try the cable that worked for your friend's laptop), or some port on your router is defective (try the port that worked for your friend's laptop).
To reset the network+driver part of your Windows PC, download the newest driver for your motherboard from the vendor website. Then uninstall the existing network driver, then install the just downloaded one. Also check Windows firewall and make sure OBS is allowed to do outgoing connections.

LunaticSlayer

Yup facing the same issue. I've internet connection of 140 MBps but using nitrate 13 Kbps there are frame drops during streaming. What to do?