OBS doesn't start any longer since latest update

crapman

Hi
Yesterday (4th Sep 2022) I updated OBS in my Mint 20.3 Cinnamon and since then I can't start it any longer.
According to the log the update was from V28.0.0 to V28.0.1.

When I start OBS in the console I get this:

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
debug: Found portal inhibitor
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/de-DE.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/de-DE.ini
info: Using preferred locale 'de-DE'
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
info: Using EGL/X11
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
info: CPU Speed: 2199.392MHz
info: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 4
info: Physical Memory: 7900MB Total, 5781MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 5.4.0-125-generic
info: Distribution: "Linux Mint" "20.3"
info: Session Type: x11
info: Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.20.13
info: Qt Version: 5.12.8 (runtime), 5.12.8 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
qt.svg: Cannot open file '/usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/Close.svg', because: No such file or directory
qt.svg: Cannot open file '/usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/Close.svg', because: No such file or directory
qt.svg: Cannot open file '/usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/Popout.svg', because: No such file or directory
qt.svg: Cannot open file '/usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/Popout.svg', because: No such file or directory
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionShowTransitionProperties_triggered()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionHideTransitionProperties_triggered()
info: OBS 28.0.1 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers: 2
max buffering: 960 milliseconds
buffering type: dynamically increasing
info: Initializing OpenGL...
error: Unable to create EGL context: EGL_BAD_CONFIG
error: Failed to create context!
error: device_create (GL) failed
error: Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.
XCB failed to find an xcb_format_t for depth: 24
XCB failed to find an xcb_format_t for depth: 24
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben

When I enter glxinfo | grep OpenGL in the console I get this:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVS 310/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.108
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.108
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 NVIDIA 340.108 340.108
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Is there any chance to get this fixed or shall I try to roll back ?
Regards
CM

Tuna

That graphics driver is quite old. Probably it is missing EGL features, which OBS has switched to from GLX.

crapman

I am just a user and have no clue what GLX means. Does it relate to V28.0.1 ?
I rolled back to 28.0.0 and it is working again. Do I have to exclude OBS from updates from now? That would really be sad.
CM

Tuna

How did you install it? I can't see a reason why this behavior should change so drastic between a .1 bugfix release. The changelog is not very dramatic..

crapman

I am using ppa:obsproject/obs-studio and the Synaptic package manager.
Something very irritating happened this morning. OBS is dead again and back on version 28.0.1 although I excluded it from updates (I just counter-checked the negative list). This seems to be another issue.
What was even more surprising: The update manager lists an update from 27.2.4 to 28.0.1.
So somehow my roll back to the 31st of Aug 2022 apparently ended at 27.2.4 and not 28.0.0 as expected. Under these circumstances I cannot guarantee any longer that the blackout was caused from 28.0.0 to 28.0.1. Sorry, my mistake.

CM

Tuna

That can explain it then.

So OBS 28 switched from GLX to EGL. A newer API to manager OpenGL context required by OBS. Your NVIDIA driver 340 was first released around 2015 I believe. So it is possible that one cannot do the things required by OBS.

Question is why you are using such an old driver base. If possible try to update the driver. If your GPU is too old and requires this old driver it may very much be that you are out of luck and the driver cannot provide the features to run OBS anymore.

DjSteveK

So OBS 28 switched from GLX to EGL. A newer API to manager OpenGL context required by OBS. Your NVIDIA driver 340 was first released around 2015 I believe. So it is possible that one cannot do the things required by OBS.

Question is why you are using such an old driver base. If possible try to update the driver. If your GPU is too old and requires this old driver it may very much be that you are out of luck and the driver cannot provide the features to run OBS anymore.
I am also using Linux Mint 20.03 with NVIDIA 340 with same issue. Switch to

Nouveau – Nvidia Open Source Driver. Go to driver manager and select

Nouveau . OBS will work fine.

DjSteveK

I am using ppa:obsproject/obs-studio and the Synaptic package manager.
Something very irritating happened this morning. OBS is dead again and back on version 28.0.1 although I excluded it from updates (I just counter-checked the negative list). This seems to be another issue.
What was even more surprising: The update manager lists an update from 27.2.4 to 28.0.1.
So somehow my roll back to the 31st of Aug 2022 apparently ended at 27.2.4 and not 28.0.0 as expected. Under these circumstances I cannot guarantee any longer that the blackout was caused from 28.0.0 to 28.0.1. Sorry, my mistake.

CM
I am also using Linux Mint 20.03 with NVIDIA 340 with same issue. Switch to

Nouveau – Nvidia Open Source Driver. Go to driver manager and select

Nouveau . OBS will work fine.

crapman

My system lists 3 drivers for my old NVS 310 Nvidia card:
- nvidia-340 (recommended)
- xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)
- nvidia-driver-390
As suggested I switched to the nouveau driver and indeed OBS 28.0.1 works well (and looks beautiful)!

The reasons I actually wanted to use the old driver:
1. I used the nvidia-390 driver after a new installation of Mint and it worked well for 2 days until the system crashed so hard, that I had to reinstall it. Just as a matter of safety I switched back to the "recommended" driver.
2. The nvidia-340 allows me to do some adjustments and parameter checks in the nvidia manager.
3. According to my research the nouveau driver is generally not regarded as the "better" one and doesn't come with an nvidia manager.

I can further confirm, that OBS 28.0.1 works on the same PC without the Nvidia NVS 310 graphics card (using the CPU GPU).

Was it really necessary to do a "hard cut" in OBS which blanks out a number of users?

Anyway, you guys really helped me out and provided the needed answer. Thanks a lot for your great support!

Regards
CM

Tuna

Well actually NVIDIA cut the ties by no longer supporting the NVS 310 with their regular drivers. Nouveau is the free OSS maintained driver which did not cut any ties.

Just because NVIDIA decided to stall we can't stop making progress. If we did there will be no going forward. Also - OBS 27 will always be available.

DjSteveK

My system lists 3 drivers for my old NVS 310 Nvidia card:
- nvidia-340 (recommended)
- xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)
- nvidia-driver-390
As suggested I switched to the nouveau driver and indeed OBS 28.0.1 works well (and looks beautiful)!

The reasons I actually wanted to use the old driver:
1. I used the nvidia-390 driver after a new installation of Mint and it worked well for 2 days until the system crashed so hard, that I had to reinstall it. Just as a matter of safety I switched back to the "recommended" driver.
2. The nvidia-340 allows me to do some adjustments and parameter checks in the nvidia manager.
3. According to my research the nouveau driver is generally not regarded as the "better" one and doesn't come with an nvidia manager.

I can further confirm, that OBS 28.0.1 works on the same PC without the Nvidia NVS 310 graphics card (using the CPU GPU).

Was it really necessary to do a "hard cut" in OBS which blanks out a number of users?

Anyway, you guys really helped me out and provided the needed answer. Thanks a lot for your great support!

Regards
CM
Unfortunately the nouveau driver is not as robust as the NVIDIA. Also unfortunately the NVIDIA graphics chip in my Dell L attitude only supports nvidia-340 which worked great before the upgrade. But at least OBS 28 works decent with nouveau. Better than nothing. lol

DjSteveK

Well actually NVIDIA cut the ties by no longer supporting the NVS 310 with their regular drivers. Nouveau is the free OSS maintained driver which did not cut any ties.

Just because NVIDIA decided to stall we can't stop making progress. If we did there will be no going forward. Also - OBS 27 will always be available.
Nouveau saved the day

DjSteveK

how would you install OBS 27 using apt install? I can not find it for Ubuntu under previous versions.

crapman

Buying a new graphics card with low profile (meaning smaller height) which further fits to the bus system and my low power consumption requirements is actually impossible for my aging and compact platform (HP 8300 SFF). And I don't want to apologize for using old hardware with Linux.
I also don't blame anyone. I just asked a question in an open source community which is touching the sustainability of older systems in connection to OBS and didn't get an answer. I can live with that, sent a warning notice to two friends who will probably have the same problem and now have to make up my mind -
A) using an up-to-date OBS mit nouveau-driver,
B) an OBS 27 with a stable 340-driver or
C) removing the graphics card and using an up-to-date OBS with the CPU GPU.
D) not using OBS on this platform any longer
That's all - just a pity.

Best regards
CM

trinitronx

OBS PPA archive can be found here:

OBS source code is on GitHub.

Code:
$ sudo apt list -a obs-studio 
Listing... Done
obs-studio/focal 28.0.3-0obsproject1~focal amd64
obs-studio/focal 25.0.3+dfsg1-2 amd64

$ sudo apt-cache madison obs-studio 
obs-studio | 28.0.3-0obsproject1~focal | http://ppa.launchpad.net/obsproject/obs-studio/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
obs-studio | 25.0.3+dfsg1-2 | http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages

Why did the old package versions get pulled from the PPA? It's considered bad form to release a major version with breaking changes to an LTS (even in a PPA). If the old deb packages were still made available, we could pin them with `apt-mark hold`, or setting hold for obs-studio with `dpkg --set-selections`

An LTS box that I have running old Nvidia hardware was working fine with OBS 27.x, and even 28.0.1. Now I can't install either and would be forced to downgrade to 25.0.3 (not an option for me due to plugins), or build from source (difficult to get right). Noveau sadly isn't a viable option for me either due to a hard kernel freeze bug. Most users of such an official PPA on an LTS release wouldn't expect an `apt-get upgrade` to break things completely for them. Sure, we can blame NVIDIA all we want... but there's no denying that Linux users are using all kinds of outdated hardware because that's the beauty of Linux.

Is there anyone with PPA access that could `dput` the latest version of 27.x and 28.0.1 back up to the PPA? Thanks!

ZeroLabs

I just posted this to another thread but this one is more appropriate.

Same problem on Asus UX32VD i7 laptop. Was working fine with the Nvidia GF117M (GeForce GT 620M) hybrid graphics and 340.108 driver until very recently. Xubuntu 20.04LTS with kernel 5.4 because it's the last version to support legacy Nvidia hardware. I was forced to revert to the X.Org Nouveau driver in order to get it all working again. Pretty disappointed about that. Gets as far as this...

info: Initializing OpenGL...
error: Unable to create EGL context: EGL_BAD_CONFIG
error: Failed to create context!
error: device_create (GL) failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
~$

I guess looking on the bright side, I can finally update my kernel to 5.15! LOL!

Ieso Nagata

hi guys
make a .sh using this !

#!/bin/sh
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 obs

or just run "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 obs" on terminal $