OBS Crashes when playing MP4 on a stream?

Nass86

Streams and Records perfectly well. Has done for 1 year now.

But if I try to stream an MP4 as a Media Source, it either crashes when I click menu/buttons, or it eventually crashes itself at random 10 or 20 minutes in.

This laptop has been frozen in time to avoid settings and updates knocking other things off hence older build of Windows 10. The streaming on Wifi always works and it records videos like this all the time.

EDIT 1
I remember I added spectraliser this time.

EDIT 2

I got stuck in an endless 'crash' loop when I tried to restart OBS.
The only way to stop it was to relocate the MP4 file so it couldn't find it on first launch.

Crash report will follow on next post.

LOG FILE

Last edited:

Nass86

Here is the video I was streaming as MP4. Recorded on Friday.

Lawrence_SoCal

As I know you've seen me say many times - real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding.
That is a old (7, soon to be 8, generation old laptop CPU, optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding.
Have you been monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. Depending on the specifics on the MP4 encoding, your system's default decoding of that video may be pushing your system beyond its limits. Make sure video decode is actually being offloaded from the CPU.

Suslik V

Your issue is very similar to the one that was reported on the Spectralizer page.

The big chance that the way the visualization works in the plugin it harms the OBS render and that is causes the crash. Make a report to the plugin's repository.
Try to uninstall this plugin to make sure that it is cause of the crash. You also may need to take out other plugs one by one.
You running many additional plugins, so this also maybe coincidence. And some other plugin modifies the data in unusual way and this causes the crash. It is hard to tell here.

Nass86

As I know you've seen me say many times - real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding.
That is a old (7, soon to be 8, generation old laptop CPU, optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding.
Have you been monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. Depending on the specifics on the MP4 encoding, your system's default decoding of that video may be pushing your system beyond its limits. Make sure video decode is actually being offloaded from the CPU.

Hi mate, yes you're right - I deliberately chose this machine as a used 'dedicated' streaming one aimed at reducing cost. I picked it because it has NVIDIA / Nvenc and I don't use it for gaming - just picking up a camera or two and streaming / recording.

I've tweaked it to the n'th degree turning off all background tasks, all updates, firewalls and so on. Adjusted the CPU cores to always be firing at full capacity, and other similar tweaks so it never enters any kind of battery saving mode.

It just does OBS that's it.

All year it has worked perfectly well in a bunch of scenarios as such most / often all of this in the set up:

Scenario:
  • Recording 1080p // 30fps at CQP 17 + Quality + High
  • Streaming simultaneously after downscaling to 1536 x 864 // 30fps
  • With 2 x Cameras (1 x USB HDMI Video capture card attached to iPhone12 using Filmic Pro clean HDMI out app, plus 1 x Logitech C922)
  • Focusrite 2i2 Sound card to take the sound from my DJ equipment into OBS via USB
  • Wifi streaming to 4G / LTE mobile phone connection (it is strong and reliable in our low population country)
  • GPU operating at ~ 75 to 85%
  • CPU operating at ~ 25 to 30%
I would never use this for gaming as it would pass it's limit, but the Nvidia K1100m is perfectly fine for this.

When streaming last night and encountering the error, it was nowhere near as stretched as it wasn't downscaling - I decided to stream at 1080p. It wasn't recording, just playing and streaming.

The number on the GPU was more like 40% and CPU was around 25%.

It was such an easy task for this laptop that I believe it's a bug or something to do with spectraliser as @Suslik V suggests - because this was the first time I'd **streamed** with spectraliser in over a year.

@Suslik V thanks for the heads up on that report.
I am now only **recording** the same thing to see if it crashes (it will take me 2 hours to complete) but so far 12 minutes in there has been no crash. This test has been done without removing anything to see if it can sustain a 2 hour recording.

Last edited: