OBS crashes entire PC when running a SECOND time

inkawf

This is one of the weirder situations I've ever witnessed, and it's legit bothering me now.

I had went on a 2 week vacation with my entire PC shut down. Upon coming back, everything was fine and I opened OBS to screen record. I hit 'start recording', and then recorded before hitting 'stop recording'. Everything was fine. After 15-20 minutes, I went back and resumed to hit 'Start Recording' again, when OBS froze. Slowly but surely, everything on the entire PC lagged before locking up and eventually froze. The only way out is to hold the power button.

Now what's interesting is that it's fine if you hit stop recording and start recording again, it's fine. It's when you wait a bit before hitting start recording again does it happen again. I am at my wits end because I didn't make any updates and nothing changed. All that happened was my PC was off for 2 weeks.

Steps taken:

1. Cleaned out my PC for dust
2. Updated to the latest OBS

My PC is rather old and I need a new one, but I cannot possibly think that is the issue. I have no idea what is even going on, and there are no OBS crash logs, because OBS is not crashing, but rather my entire PC is locking up.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and can help me? Thank you so much.

inkawf

Update on this, hoping it's it.

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of OBS and it seems to have resolved the issue. Maybe OBS got corrupted?

koala

hit 'Start Recording' again, when OBS froze. Slowly but surely, everything on the entire PC lagged before locking up and eventually froze. The only way out is to hold the power button.
This is an indication for some hardware issue on your PC. Some piece of hardware isn't functioning correctly any more. You think you solved it by reinstalling OBS, but the issue will happen again.
From what you describe, it may be it's the hd that's becoming defective. With SSDs usually not, but if you save your video to a spinning disk, that disk might become defective. Trying to write to bad sectors will get the symptoms you describe. Look into the Windows system event log and look for any "disk" errors.
Open Windows event viewer, category Windows logs > System. A disk error looks similar to what is shown here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ent-id-7/b899a7d5-5792-4ba3-89a0-32a16ed5001c