OBS background process continues to run

Webfoot1943

OBS's background process continues to run after OBS has shut down. Next time I start OBS a new background process start and so on. It creates a new one each time obs starts. The reason I found this happening is I have been having a latency problem and could not find the problem. I would get latency to zero then the next time a week later it would be off and I would have to go through the routine of re-calibrating the latency. I have seen up to 7 instances of OBS background running. I have ended the OBS instance in Task Manager before starting OBS and seems to be working fine. I will note any other findings as I come upon them. Thanks

Webfoot1943

Has anyone looked into this; OBS running in the background after a successful exit? It messes with my latency problem. I should not have to go into Task Manager and force the background instance to quit every time I start a new instance of OBS.

Cerberus262

I have the exact same problem. Unfortunately I don't have any answers. Just hoping the bump may get someone to address the question.

Vizou

I am having the same problem on Mac (all of a sudden) - spinning beachball on Quit an have to force quit. Otherwise it is running fine.

John A

I have the same issue.... background task continues to run after exiting OBS. Restarting OBS again is successful but yet another background OBS task starts up and remains running after exiting OBS. Windows 10 64bit.

Webfoot1943

Here I am again still the problem of OBS still running in the background after successfully exiting the program. Does anyone read these problems who work on OBS software? It can't be Windows, because I have updated to Windows 11.

Webfoot1943

It can't be Windows, because I have updated to Windows 11. I have 4 monitors, a large tv used for the stage monitor, and a projector connected to two r9 video game cards. CPU is an AMD RYZEN, 1TB HDD, and 16GB memory. The computer is powerful enough. OBS stats show only show 5.1% CPU usage at 30fps. Memory usage is only 694.3MB, and the average time to render is 6.2MS. I am using no browser sources which may hold the program open in the background.

Webfoot1943

I am wondering if I have posted this problem of the background still running after the successful exit of the program, in the wrong forum. If I have please let me know that I have. Thanks

j chris

I would like to know the answer also. I used OBS just once about a year ago. The damn thing decided to wreck my video when in Zoom. I would click the Start Video, it caused a blank screen by activating virtual camera. This would be the only choice of video feed, and my integrated camera would be missing in Device Manager. Using the camera troubleshooter in windows only resulted in a camera can not be found message. Once out of Zoom, clicking the camera icon in windows resulted in a blank screen and still no integrated camera in Device Manager. Only a restart got it back.

webfoot

With version 28 this has been corrected. The problem of OBS continuing to run in background after exiting program nolonger occurs. Thanks for fixing.

j chris

I have the exact same problem. Unfortunately I don't have any answers. Just hoping the bump may get someone to address the question.
Do a search on Youtube for "Markus Presents". This guy knows his stuff on OBS studio and has hints and tips on how to fix OBS problems.

Cerberus262

Do a search on Youtube for "Markus Presents". This guy knows his stuff on OBS studio and has hints and tips on how to fix OBS problems.
As was noted above it seems that V28 has solved this issue. I haven't had a problem since the update.