Question / Help OBS audio cracking and high latency

Narwalxx

Hi everyone, I downloaded OBS to record my screen and audio, since I'm trying to record some tutorials. Anyway, I get a constant cracking in the audio i'm recording, the audio is also delayed a bunch, but if I reduce the buffer size I get more cracks. I'm using an Apollo 8 audio interface. I've tried every fix I could find, matched the sample rates, increased the buffer size, update every audio driver, checked my cables and my mic (which I use regularly for recording so I know they're good), I feel like I'm missing something but I can't get a grasp of what that is, hope that someone can help me on here.
On a side note: I'm also using sonarworks reference, but I have it turned off while recording, so I don''t think that's the issue, anyway I'm not really good at windows so who knows.
https://obsproject.com/logs/gxFPgJrbHIuf3IPF

DEDRICK

Damn, that is a sexy interface.

You've run the gamut of the various crackling audio fixes, for sure the inteface isn't running at 192kHz? Does it have an Internal Sample Rate control? I see it has a Rate meter on the front.

(17) Sample Rate Indicators These indicators display the current sample rate setting for A/D and D/A conversion. The sample rate is set within the Console application or the host DAW; see the Apollo Software Manual for details.

Do you have a a Dual Male 1/4" TS to Male 3.5mm TRS Stereo Breakout cable? Instead of using the Thunderbolt device in OBS, can you run from Monitor Out or Aux Monitor Out to the Rear Line-In(Not Mic In) on your sound card? Then use Line-in as your Mic/Aux device in OBS

Last edited:

Narwalxx

Yup, I'm a sound engineer, sexy interface are my thing.
As I stated I already matched the sample rate on the interface with the one in OBS, I tried in 44.1K and 48K

DEDRICK

Same with Windows? I'm assuming when you change the sample rate in the Apollo control panel it also changes it in Windows, that is how my Roland functions.

1546880907284.png

Sonarworks equalizes your Playback device to make your headphones/monitors flat, most likely using APO (Audio Processing Object).
Even though it is is off it may still be "on". That Signal Enhancements checkbox is the APO enable/disable, you can try turning it off for the Playback device.

Their obviously isn't one for the mic because the plugins on the Apollo 8 are built-in DSP and real-time/zero-latency, so you should't have delay / or APO.

This is a tough one.

DEDRICK

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/214494346

It looks like the Apollo Sample Rate and Windows Sample rate do not change eachother when you change either of one them, you must match them manually. This is more for ASIO and WDM though

• When changing WDM sample rates: Set the sample rate in the Apollo Console Settings>Hardware panel before changing sample rates in the Sound>Playback or Sound>Recording control panels within Windows. Note that WDM programs may need to be closed then reopened to be heard correctly if the sample rate is changed in the Sound control panel within Windows.

It looks like Thunderbolt is a huge issue as well, so many articles on the UAD website about very specific things you need to do for Thunderbolt stability in Windows.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215820043

noogard

Hello, same here, same with apollo and TC impact twin (firewire interface). Same for me, I'm sound engineer, and know possible issues, and it is not one of them.
External microphone, connected to sound interface is distorted. Tried almost everything :)
Can tell you more:
-Tried any buffer sizes
-All sample rate synced everywhere, all windows options, asio settings, OBS
-The sound from usb camera is fine, the sound from reaper through reastream is fine, only microphone is distorted.
-Doesnt matter the type of mic, condenser or dynamic, phantom powered or not
-Power the card with external power supply or not, nothing changes
-Any (and I mean it ANY, includint lets say xSplit) other software receives good sound from microphone. Only OBS gets distorted sound.
-All software (windows, drivers, OBS, core audio support) is up to date

According to this forum this problem occurs REALLY often, but still no answer for few years, only some cheap and dirty solutions, that are not solutions at all, just masking this bug (I dont mention people who are not into sound and have problems because of sample rate sync of buffer overload)

I'll appreciate any help too, if it will come :)

Last edited:

DEDRICK

Is it a bug with OBS?

If your Apollo interface works in Xsplit but not OBS then it should be logged as a bug. If the developer doesn't know about an issue they can't fix it, it is entirely possible that it has never been logged. Posting something here isn't reporting a bug, despite the name of the forum.

Last edited:

noogard

Is it a bug with OBS?

If your Apollo interface works in Xsplit but not OBS then it should be logged as a bug. If the developer doesn't know about an issue they can't fix it, it is entirely possible that it has never been logged. Posting something here isn't reporting a bug, despite the name of the forum.

That occurs ONLY in OBS, and there is BUNCH of such messages before this one :) with plenty of different sound cards :)

DEDRICK

There are so many reason why your external soundcard/audio device could be popping/crackling, those other messages/threads are not this thread, not this hardware configuration.

Those "cheap and dirty solutions" are standard audio artifact troubleshooting steps.

Buffer Size
Sample Rate
Audio Driver (ASIO/WDM/WASAPI)
etc.

If you have exhausted the usual and are left with a situation where it only occurs in OBS and not other programs, then logic dictates it is most likely OBS. All the other threads are irrelevant unless it is the same soundcard, because then you have a pattern.

"These 2 Apollo interfaces pop and crack in OBS but not Xsplit when connected via Thunderbolt."

noogard

There are so many reason why your external soundcard/audio device could be popping/crackling, those other messages/threads are not this thread, not this hardware configuration.

Those "cheap and dirty solutions" are standard audio artifact troubleshooting steps.

Buffer Size
Sample Rate
Audio Driver (ASIO/WDM/WASAPI)
etc.

If you have exhausted the usual and are left with a situation where it only occurs in OBS and not other programs, then logic dictates it is most likely OBS. All the other threads are irrelevant unless it is the same soundcard, because then you have a pattern.

"These 2 Apollo interfaces pop and crack in OBS but not Xsplit when connected via Thunderbolt."

Ahahaha, of course thats OBS issue, and thats why it is HERE, and not on manufacturer's of the sound interface card sire :)

And cheap and dirty solutions - no, I mean I can create the track in reaper with input monitoring of the microphone, and then send this signal through ReaStream plugin to OBS. There would be NO distortion with that, but thats complicated way + additional 5-10 ms delay.

Narwalxx

Same with Windows? I'm assuming when you change the sample rate in the Apollo control panel it also changes it in Windows, that is how my Roland functions.

View attachment 41980

Sonarworks equalizes your Playback device to make your headphones/monitors flat, most likely using APO (Audio Processing Object).
Even though it is is off it may still be "on". That Signal Enhancements checkbox is the APO enable/disable, you can try turning it off for the Playback device.

Their obviously isn't one for the mic because the plugins on the Apollo 8 are built-in DSP and real-time/zero-latency, so you should't have delay / or APO.

This is a tough one.

I don't have that checkbox, at least not where I can see it, as I said I'm not that good with windows and maybe it is hidden somehow?
I followed all the steps to make sure I changed the sample rate everywhere but the problem still occurs.
I'm starting to think it is an OBS bug

Narwalxx

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/214494346

It looks like the Apollo Sample Rate and Windows Sample rate do not change eachother when you change either of one them, you must match them manually. This is more for ASIO and WDM though

• When changing WDM sample rates: Set the sample rate in the Apollo Console Settings>Hardware panel before changing sample rates in the Sound>Playback or Sound>Recording control panels within Windows. Note that WDM programs may need to be closed then reopened to be heard correctly if the sample rate is changed in the Sound control panel within Windows.

It looks like Thunderbolt is a huge issue as well, so many articles on the UAD website about very specific things you need to do for Thunderbolt stability in Windows.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215820043

I've done all that and the problem still occurs. I never had problems with thunderbolt, I plugged it in, it works, done.

Narwalxx

Hello, same here, same with apollo and TC impact twin (firewire interface). Same for me, I'm sound engineer, and know possible issues, and it is not one of them.
External microphone, connected to sound interface is distorted. Tried almost everything :)
Can tell you more:
-Tried any buffer sizes
-All sample rate synced everywhere, all windows options, asio settings, OBS
-The sound from usb camera is fine, the sound from reaper through reastream is fine, only microphone is distorted.
-Doesnt matter the type of mic, condenser or dynamic, phantom powered or not
-Power the card with external power supply or not, nothing changes
-Any (and I mean it ANY, includint lets say xSplit) other software receives good sound from microphone. Only OBS gets distorted sound.
-All software (windows, drivers, OBS, core audio support) is up to date

According to this forum this problem occurs REALLY often, but still no answer for few years, only some cheap and dirty solutions, that are not solutions at all, just masking this bug (I dont mention people who are not into sound and have problems because of sample rate sync of buffer overload)

I'll appreciate any help too, if it will come :)

Yeah the interface works with every other software for me too, so I'm kinda starting to think it is an OBS bug, which would be bummer since I can't find a nice screen recording app other than it.

Zidakuh

This is why I never bothered with the drivers.
I just pull a monitor channel from my mixer, mic only, straight into the line-in port in my motherboard. Never had an issue since.

noogard

This is why I never bothered with the drivers.
I just pull a monitor channel from my mixer, mic only, straight into the line-in port in my motherboard. Never had an issue since.
Once again, dont mess up, it is NOT driver issue. It is just OBS bug, not driver. There are things you cant do with line port of your motherboard :)

Zidakuh

Once again, dont mess up, it is NOT driver issue. It is just OBS bug, not driver. There are things you cant do with line port of your motherboard :)
Sorry about the confusion, just kinda skimmed through the thread.
I agree however. I myself lack true multitrack splitting, that is not voicemeeter limited.

Narwalxx

I just downloaded Xsplit and it has the same problem, but then again, it does not do that with my DAWs, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong

noogard

Narwalxx

That did not work either. I also wiped the drive and reinstalled windows, I tried to run the system with only the UAD software and obs installed and the problem was still there, so I think that there is something wrong with the way the soundcards communicates with the PC, since Xsplit and Voicmeeter banana have the same kind of cracking. On the other hand Cubase and pro tools work perfectly fine. I'm totally lost on this one.

Zidakuh

What is the sample buffer set at? I noticed there was no mention of this, and a too low buffer can indeed cause crackling in the audio.

EDIT: My bad, there is a mention, but not really much more about it.

Last edited: