OBS and VirtualCam running as a portable version

goudi

Dear all,
I´m new and I thank alot for this brilliant forum.

I just downloaded the OBS Projekt and downloaded Virtual Cam25.0.0 as a zip file and copied all files into the OBS folder.
I started OBS.exe using Windows 7 without administrator rights (... and I will not be able to get any) and OBS itself runs and get the built in camera.

But I would like to do some screener stuff so I started Virtual cam and it is recognized by OBS app. Windows does not recognize any new Cam and I can not find a new camera using Skype. Skype shows only the built in camera but that's not what I want.

Could someone help in how to install and setup Virtual Cam without administrator rights?

Thx

DJuego

I guess that install a virtual Cam is equivalent to installing a driver, and in Microsoft Windows that requires administrator rights...
So... i suspect that it is not possible to install the virtual cam without administrator rights in Windows.

DJuego

DJuego

I honestly don't know any way. Maybe with a (exotic?) third party application. A portable virtual machine perhaps?

Yes, OBS works without administrator permissions but that's because OBS doesn't need them. Only the virtual camera needs them because of its own nature: it simulates a camera (a device) "installed" in the system. But that, unfortunately, requires the installation of a driver.

DJuego

shoukanju

Sorry I don't have solution to your problem. But googling my problem seem to lead me to here. So I will share my solution for the benefit of others:

How to use OBS Virtual Camera for OBS Portable [Multi]:
1. Install a regular install of OBS. This will install the virtual camera driver.
2. Run existing OBS Portable instance.. the option will now appear.
(Note: Only one OBS virtual camera input is allowed, but can output to multiple instances of OBS/Zoom/Skype/etc)

powerstripper

Above from shoukanju works, but if you don't plan to use a regular install, you can do it this way:
This assumes a fresh install. Probably works with an existing portable one as well.

Virtual cam must be installed seperately in portable mode.. don't launch OBS till told to.

Expand zip file to create all the obs files.

In root of obs folder, create a text file named: portable_mode.txt It is a blank text file.

In the expanded OBS directory, go to \bin find obs64.exe, make a desktop shortcut for it,
then launch OBS from shortcut. The 'Start Virtual Cam' control in the controls box will be missing.
Exit OBS from the controls panel

In the expanded OBS directory, go to
\data\obs-plugins\win-dshow\ run virtualcam-installer.bat in admin mode.

Relaunch OBS from shortcut.

Voila, the start virtual cam is there, so use it to start the virtual cam..

Then start zoom. a cam named OBS Virtual Camera will be there. It has a placeholder (OBS logo + slashed cam) if the virtual cam is not running in OBS.

Guess zoom looks for video sources on startup and not dynamically while running.

ps. if you use the Microsoft 'Camera' utility to check your webcams, the OBS virtual camera will NOT show up.
I'm also guessing that you would need to do this on every machine on which you want to run your portable install, as it creates a virtual cam driver (why you need admin mode) on a specific machine. So if you're visiting a friend and broadcasting from thier computer, I suppose if you're a 'good citizen' you would run the batch cam uninstall file right before you leave the machine or the cam driver will be left behind.
This also does not include the audio stream.. I used a virtual audio patch (VB Audio Cable) outlined in a YouTube video to do that.

Marcmg1902

Hey all, is there a possibility to download the portable Version of OBS with virtual cam in it? I cant install the addon for Virtual cam on my laptop because I´m using the portable one, so I would like to know if it works with the portable app without installing. Thx

Mic-Re

Above from shoukanju works, but if you don't plan to use a regular install, you can do it this way:
This assumes a fresh install. Probably works with an existing portable one as well.
Virtual cam must be installed seperately in portable mode.. don't launch OBS till told to.

Expand zip file to create all the obs files.

In root of obs folder, create a text file named: portable_mode.txt It is a blank text file.

In the expanded OBS directory, go to \bin find obs64.exe, make a desktop shortcut for it,
then launch OBS from shortcut. The 'Start Virtual Cam' control in the controls box will be missing.
Exit OBS from the controls panel

In the expanded OBS directory, go to
\data\obs-plugins\win-dshow\ run virtualcam-installer.bat in admin mode.

Thank you very much!!!
That helped a lot.

Though, I got it running without running the virtualcam-installer.bat . I don't even have a win-dshow folder under "obs-plugins".
I just installed the virtual cam plugin with admin rights in windows (obs-virtualcam-2.0.5-Windows-installer.exe) and created the portable_mode.txt file in my obs portable root folder (it was not a clean and fresh portable version, I use it since few month).

Best regards
Mic[/QUOTE]

Mic-Re

Hey all, is there a possibility to download the portable Version of OBS with virtual cam in it? I cant install the addon for Virtual cam on my laptop because I´m using the portable one, so I would like to know if it works with the portable app without installing. Thx

Hi,
that is not possible. In order to use any "virtual camera" under Windows it needs to be created at the Windows BS first, and that requires the installation of a suitable software which applies a windows-conform "virtual device" via a driver package.
That new virtual camera is than the software receiver of the fead / stream from your obs software.

(please, anybody feel free to correct me)

Best regards
Mic