Question / Help OBS and Lightworks

Roy

You can use ffmpeg (or a GUI for it called Avanti!), so you can extract the extra audio tracks.

http://www.avanti.arrozcru.org/

Now when you say extract the extra audio file. What is it you mean by that. Do you mean I've got to go into the file and grab the audio or can I just grab the clip and extract the whole thing?

I hate to sound dumb, but all of this is new to me. I setup streaming for both PC and Console.

I mean that took me awhile to learn how to even do that and I've still got bugs from time to time.

editing and moving files or extracting is also new to me and I feel like I'm going to just get confused and from that get pissed because I can't figure it out.

So basically what I'm saying is. I'm grateful that both you c3r1c3 and simes are helping, but understand. That I'm a noob when it comes to this and you might have to explain it different or dumb it down for me.

Thanks

Roy

I understand you guys might not have time to baby set me through this. So if you can't no worries.

c3r1c3

Okay, so say you record a multi-audio track MP4 (or mkv, or other format) file. You need to extract those audio tracks into their own files because your video editor doesn't support multi-track audio. So in your MKV file you have 4 (stereo) tracks. You want to run your MKV through ffmpeg so you end up with your (original) MKV file (or remux it to a MP4), and 3 or 4 audio files. You then import all of them into your NLE (Non-linear Editor, e.g. Vegas), line them up on your timeline and start editing.

But let's not get you overloaded (sorry if I have). Record a flv, remux it to a MP4 and see if that works in Lightworks. If it does, then you're good to go (for now... but be forewarned, once you begin down this dark and dangerous path your lust for more will continue to grow until it CONSUMES YOU!!!!... or you just get the itch to learn something new).

Roy

Okay, so say you record a multi-audio track MP4 (or mkv, or other format) file. You need to extract those audio tracks into their own files because your video editor doesn't support multi-track audio. So in your MKV file you have 4 (stereo) tracks. You want to run your MKV through ffmpeg so you end up with your (original) MKV file (or remux it to a MP4), and 3 or 4 audio files. You then import all of them into your NLE (Non-linear Editor, e.g. Vegas), line them up on your timeline and start editing.

But let's not get you overloaded (sorry if I have). Record a flv, remux it to a MP4 and see if that works in Lightworks. If it does, then you're good to go (for now... but be forewarned, once you begin down this dark and dangerous path your lust for more will continue to grow until it CONSUMES YOU!!!!... or you just get the itch to learn something new).

That's my problem I recorded a lot of videos with flv and afterward did the remux. The audio isn't there at all. The video looks good, but no audio. By the way yes you overloaded me. LOL

Another thing is I did the MP4 recording method after the fact. Just to see if that would work. I can't get either to work.

This stuff is a pain in the a**. It seems like every little thing I do I run into a bug. I hope to be able to fix most of these bugs by myself in the future. So I don't have to bother you guys.

Simes

Right, so the audio is there, Lightworks just isn't picking it up. Did you need to change tracks on VLC to be able to hear it or was it fine by default?

In any case, it looks like you're definitely going to need to extract the audio from your mp4 and import it into Lightworks separately. I use ffe for this stuff, but Avanti looks good too. Both are "friendly" interfaces for ffmpeg, which is a very powerful command-line tool for manipulating media files. Install one of them, install ffmpeg, and we can walk through extracting the audio from your mp4 files into a separate WAV file.

Roy

Right, so the audio is there, Lightworks just isn't picking it up. Did you need to change tracks on VLC to be able to hear it or was it fine by default?

In any case, it looks like you're definitely going to need to extract the audio from your mp4 and import it into Lightworks separately. I use ffe for this stuff, but Avanti looks good too. Both are "friendly" interfaces for ffmpeg, which is a very powerful command-line tool for manipulating media files. Install one of them, install ffmpeg, and we can walk through extracting the audio from your mp4 files into a separate WAV file.

nm

Last edited:

Simes

If you are planning to use one of the front-ends, and you probably should be, you shouldn't need to have it running from the command prompt. Go ahead and install Avanti or ffe.

Roy

If you are planning to use one of the front-ends, and you probably should be, you shouldn't need to have it running from the command prompt. Go ahead and install Avanti or ffe.

I hate to sound dumb again, but what is this download. Is this another option for audio extraction? I've searched for both avanti and ffe online and get multiple options. I just want to make sure I'm download the right thing.

Roy

This is what I got. I'm going to read through some information to try to figure it out. I'm sure ill be back soon with questions.

Attachments

• 2016-07-13.png
    2016-07-13.png
    111 KB · Views: 16

Roy

I was wondering Simes would if just be easier to try editing with a different software. I mean you said you've had problems with lightworks before. What other editing programs would you suggest that work easier with OBS?

Simes

I didn't get on with Lightworks but the problem of needing to extract multi-track audio before I can work with it still exists in the software I do use (Davinci Resolve). The extraction is one of those things that's a bit tricky to set up but once you have it working you just need to do the exact same thing with every piece you work on.

Simes

As you're using ffe and need a similar thing to me, I'll give you what I use and try and explain it.

Capture.JPG

The important parts are highlighted in yellow. As you can see, all the settings boxes are blank apart from "extra parameters". This is because a) we're not actually converting any of the data, just extracting it and b) "extra parameters" can contain any parameters ffmpeg can use.

Important stuff

Input: The input file. In our case, the mp4 created by OBS.

Output: The output file. For this, it needs to have a .wav extension, so that ffmpeg knows we're creating a WAV file.

Extra Parameters:

Bear with me on this one.

-filter_complex tells ffmpeg we're going to use a complex filter, which will be described by the text in quotes following it.

My mp4 files contain all four of the audio tracks OBS can create. In this case, in ffmpeg-speak they're contained in streams [0:1] to [0:4]. ([0:0] contains the video stream, which we don't care about right now)

Resolve will happily make use of the first audio track in the mp4 file, it just can't see the other three, so I need to extract [0:2] through [0:4]. I use the "amerge" filter to merge the stereo tracks together into a single multichannel stream, so I tell it that the amerge filter needs three inputs and the result should be placed in a stream I've labelled "aout".

Finally, the '-map "[aout]"' parameter tells ffmpeg that what we want to map into the output file is the "aout" stream we've just created.

The result is that we take the last three stereo audio tracks from our OBS mp4, merge them into a single six-channel audio stream, and then write that out to a WAV file. I've found this works nicely in Resolve, where you can tell it that the six-channel audio file you've imported is in fact three sets of two-channel audio.

This is almost certainly information overload again, but hopefully some of it is comprehensible.

Roy

So do you record in flv or mp4.

Do you remux a flv is basically what I'm asking or do you just record in mp4.

Roy

I am going to learn what you are showing me Sims. I will start looking at it today. I need to know how to do this for sure. With that being said I download adobe Premiere Elements and every file I open on that program has good audio and video.

Again though I want to learn what your showing me and thanks again for helping me.