OBS 0.16.2 a little good news feedback for NVENC users

DamageInc

When i first started tinkering with Obs Studio it was on like 0.15.8 or 9.

I aim to record locally (not stream) 1440p60fps with multi channel audio (3 seperate audio sources) at a good quality. Thats my goal. It may not be yours, but its mine. I run a gtx980 and a i7 4790k so my hopes were high.

Initial NVENC tinkerings were disastrous and looked awful. After a lot of threads here and fiddling (and learning) i was able to record at about 27,000 kb/s bitrate (max) without dropping frames (read 10% or more)

Next i moved to x264 having given up on nvenc. I got that looking pretty sweet (cpu preset ultrafast) and a bitrate of 100,000 resulted in great looking (but big) recordings. Downside my 4790k cpu was almost maxed out on simple Battlefield 4 maps, and more complex maps were capping the cpu at 100% resulting in laggy recordings.

Since 0.16.2 (or 3) came out i tested NVENC again. Now we have control over b-frames i tried a CRF based recording set at 23. It was ok ish...no skipped frames but not pretty either. 22 killed it resulting in 20% lag/duplicated frames and an awful recording.

I then turned b-frames to 0. This allowed me to get quality down to 19 with no lag/skipped frames at all. Cpu sitting pretty at 50%. The recording looked almost perfect. I was too tired by then to try 18 or 17 but the recording i got at crf 19 was looking very good for 1440p60 and no downscaling.

This patch might be the one for me. B-frames seem to help with compressability but i dont really care about compression. Ill take my big (high quality) file, edit it down in premiere, export it losslesly and then compress in handbrake before uploading to youtube.

Thanks devs!

DamageInc

Dont get too worried Harold, i was just going off memory. It was whatever 0.15.x version preceeded the recent 16.1/2/3 updates we just had.

My previous version of OBS is rather secondary to the good news that 16.2 and 16.3 are allowing me (and hopefully others) sucessful 1440p60 recording using nvenc where they had previously struggled by being able to turn off b-frames

DamageInc

Oh well. I thought 16.3 was the hotfix for 16.2. I really thought that got rolled out last night. Probably 16.2 was the fix for 16.1. Its all rather academic tho.

Oh well. I wont mention any more version numbers.