NVEnc Feedback thread (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boildown

Re: 0.60 test build 5

My encoder PC has a 560Ti in it unfortunately, but I sometimes stream a pre-recorded highlight video from my gaming PC that could use this.

So what exactly is the benefit of adding NVENC support?

BtbN

It encodes with allmost no performance impact.
Video encoding is the most CPU heavy task OBS is doing, and moving this onto a dedicated pice of hardware removes allmost all CPU load.

BtbN

Why would anyone want to use it at a lower quality than the best possible?
I can select diffrent presets, and exporting that to a setting wouldn't be too much of a problem, but i don't realy see the use of that.

Xphome

BtbN said:
Why would anyone want to use it at a lower quality than the best possible?
I can select diffrent presets, and exporting that to a setting wouldn't be too much of a problem, but i don't realy see the use of that.
So it's set to CLOUD_GAMING_720p30? Since that is the highest quality according to that PDF.

BtbN

There is no preset named like that, i'm using a modified HQ preset.
Modified to use CBR and the keyframe intervall needed by OBS/Twitch/...

I'm still experimenting with settings, so the current quality is likely not the best that's possible.

renemauricio

How are you able to modify the NVREC preset? Changing options from within OBS does nothing to change the output quality.

Boildown

Which is the lowest spec 600 series card that will run it? For example, I have a GT 630 in my media center PC... can I borrow that card to run this?

Can you more fully describe what encode settings its hard-coded to, or what x264 equivalents would be?

BtbN

Everything that has a Kepler GPU will work. The GT630 is special, as there are two diffrent GT630, one with a Kepler GK208, which will work, and one which is still Fermi, which won't work.

Boildown

BtbN said:
Everything that has a Kepler GPU will work. The GT630 is special, as there are two diffrent GT630, one with a Kepler GK208, which will work, and one which is still Fermi, which won't work.

Cool, it appears I lucked out and got the right one. Ordinarily the GT630 is pretty dang weak for OBS use and is a bit of a bottleneck the little bit I tested it. So it'll be interesting to see if it completely changes character using this NVENC thing.

Can you answer this though:

Can you more fully describe what encode settings NVENC is hard-coded to, or what x264 equivalents would be?

BtbN

I have no idea what x264 settings it corrosponds to. I made the preset switchable in the meantime, but you don't realy want to use anything else than the HQ one for streaming, which is still the default.

You can also just plugin the GT630 as second card, if the first one also is a nvidia, CUDA is perfectly fine with that.

Senshin

Testing the Nvenc function.

I would say it is worse then Quick Sync on the 3500Bitrate mark (1080P), it blurs alot with quick movement, i mean really alot.

I hope Nvenc can increase in quality over time or else Intel did a great job lol.
For now I will change back to quick sync, hope the future bring us a nicer nvenc ^^.

When disabling my IGPU and i try monitorcapture it will be lines the watchers gona see, totally no schreen is getting displayed (with nvenc enabled offcourse).

Specs:
3840QM i7 cpu (HD4000, can disable and enable)
680M GTX

Grue

Senshin said:
Testing the Nvenc function.

I would say it is worse then Quick Sync on the 3500Bitrate mark (1080P), it blurs alot with quick movement, i mean really alot.

I can confirm that it blurs ALOT with quick movement even on 5000 bitrate... but the performance is great even on 60 fps.

ExitSign

Small bug in latest build (70026e8f3):

- When I enable 'quick sync'. the 'use custom ssettings' checkbox is enabled. But when I disable the quicksync checkbox, the 'use custom settings' checkbox is not disabled again.

- I have a GTX 680, but NVENC is always disabled in this build (70026e8f3). (I have the nvenc.dll and enabled shadow play in GForce experience)
I could enable nvenc in the latests official test build, but it gave an error about it not being supported.

Is there anything else I need?

Xphome

ExitSign said:

- When I enable 'quick sync'. the 'use custom ssettings' checkbox is enabled. But when I disable the quicksync checkbox, the 'use custom settings' checkbox is not disabled again.

- I have a GTX 680, but NVENC is always disabled in this build (70026e8f3). (I have the nvenc.dll and enabled shadow play in GForce experience)
I could enable nvenc in the latests official test build, but it gave an error about it not being supported.

You don't need GeForce Experience, all you need is a DLL with license or the DLL that ships with the test build + a license. (And a 600+ card of course)

ExitSign

Xphome said:
ExitSign said:

You don't need GeForce Experience, all you need is a DLL with license or the DLL that ships with the test build + license. (And a 600+ card of course)

I have a GTX 680Ti and tried with both the shipped NvEnc dll and the licensed one I downloaded from the url mentioned elsewhere.

The checkbox is always disabled.

Moony349

I have a GTX 780 and Shadowplay is working.

When I go to preview the stream in OBS it says:

"Encoder initialization failed". Any ideas?

KingCobra

Re: 0.60 test build 6

Code:
23:41:51: Successfully loaded ObsNvenc.dll
23:41:51: ObsNvenc initialized successfully
23:41:51: CUDA loaded successfully
23:41:51: 1 CUDA capable devices found
23:41:51: [ GPU #0 - < GeForce GTX 670 > has Compute SM 3.0, NVENC Available ]
23:41:51: NVENC internal init finished successfully
23:41:51: nvEncOpenEncodeSessionEx failed - invalid license key?
23:41:51: Couldn't initialize encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.