NVEnc Feedback thread (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
New test build out, we have quite a number of changes and things might be unstable, so we want to run it by users first.

We now have NVEnc in, thanks to BtbN for all his hard work on it.

Also, very important, testing mic and avermedia live gamer portable sync fixes. Took out the "Mic sync fix hack" in advanced because it fixes this exact issue with mics and devices. This really needs testing, so please give me feedback of this test build if you can.

NOTE: Test builds do not auto-update! Please remember to check for full releases later after using test builds

Download here

0.60b test build 9 Notes
  • 09 - Another fix to potential audio issues, that *should* be the last of it
  • 08 - More adjustments to NVenc/quicksync
  • 07 - Apparently some more NVEnc changes
  • 07 - Removed "Mic Sync Fix Hack" option because the problem should be fixed. I really need testers for the new audio code, I need to know if the audio is working correctly, especially people with live gamer portable devices and mics that were having issues with sync
  • 06 - more NVEnc fixes/adjustments
  • 06 - more tweaks/fixes to device burst compensation
  • 05 - made some fixes to the burst sound.. fixes. fixes to fixes.
  • 04 - testing some sound bursting sync fix issues
  • Added NVEnc encoder, courtesy of BtbN.
  • There is now a separate button for recording
  • You can now turn off/restart recording while still streaming, or vise versa
  • If you are disconnected, it will no longer cause recording to stop
  • Because of the above, we've removed the dashboard button because it was sort of useless and we needed an extra button, I hope no one hates me for this but it was honestly just a convenience tool and we needed to make space for more important buttons without creating a brand new button row
  • NOTE: If both recording and streaming, you must press stop both to fully turn off the stream
  • Text indicators for recording/streaming has been added to the status bar
  • Fixed a bug where microphones wouldn't reconnect if disconnected (dear god *finally*, I'm so sorry about that)
  • Testing out fixes microphone and device-related sync issue that would happen with burst data

TOM_RUS

Re: 0.60 test build 1

Would be nice to have "Auto start recording when starting stream" option, so we can start stream without starting recording. Recording hotkeys can be useful as well. Separate encoding settings for recording?

Gol D. Ace

TOM_RUS said:
Would be nice to have "Auto start recording when starting stream" option, so we can start stream without starting recording.

The recording is already starting auto.

But... The recording isn't stopping when you stop the stream.
So having the possibility to stop the recording auto when you stop the stream would be nice.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

If you want to stop the recording when you stop streaming, I would suggest just disabling the functionality, if it proves to be stable then we can just add an UI option for it. Adding more buttons isn't really going to happen. Maybe change the "Start Preview" functionality while streaming and recording to stop both, but I'm not quite sure.

As for separate encoding settings for recording, this would require a lot of hacking around, and it's not very likely to get implemented during this phase of testing, if at all. Such things will be present in the rewrite.

klayveR

Jim said:
  • Fixed a bug where microphones wouldn't reconnect if disconnected (dear god *finally*, I'm so sorry about that)
Thank you so much for this!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

For the people who will inevitably ask how to enable NVENC, you will either need an nVidia Quadro Kepler GPU, or a Kepler GeForce card with a license key DLL. The license key is something you normally have to pay nVidia for.

bilehazard

Not sure if this relates to a plugin i have or what but as soon as i open up OBS i get this error message, but im still able to use OBS "The procedure entry point ??8String@@QBEHABV0@@Z could not be located in the dynamic library OBSApi.dll"

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Does it work fine with 0.592? If so, someone messed up the plugin API again.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

Aaaaaand that someone is me. I will fix it, and reupload.

TOM_RUS

Gol D. Ace said:
TOM_RUS said:
Would be nice to have "Auto start recording when starting stream" option, so we can start stream without starting recording.

The recording is already starting auto.

I'm talking about option that allows you to disable auto start recording... Read what I wrote again.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Re: 0.60 test build 2

I do agree that such an option should be provided.

(Though go easy on Gol D Ace, he's super awesome)

Gol D. Ace

Re: 0.60 test build 2

I'm not that awesome Jim. ;)

Sometimes I have problems understanding english speaking people (guess what I'm not a native english speaker).

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Re: 0.60 test build 3

could the start recording button be active while streaming and file output is active? so you could start recording and then switch on streaming?

Also when switching from livestream to file output using the settings menu, the button to start recording stays gray, if I then close obs and restart it, the button is correct. Using 2 profiles to switch between livestream and file output works correctly and refreshes the button state.

Grue

dodgepong said:
For the people who will inevitably ask how to enable NVENC, you will either need an nVidia Quadro Kepler GPU, or a Kepler GeForce card with a license key DLL. The license key is something you normally have to pay nVidia for.

But but how do you even buy a license key?

Gol D. Ace

Grue said:
dodgepong said:

But but how do you even buy a license key?

I have written an e-mail to Nvidia with exactly this question.

The first response was:

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Technical Support group for further attention.

The Level 2 agents will review the case notes to troubleshoot the issue and find a solution or workaround.

As this process may take some time and require a good deal of testing and research, we ask that you be patient. A Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to assist or point you in the right direction.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Re: 0.60 test build 4

It's also possible to get a pre-compiled binary with a license key already entered (but not readable) so you don't have to buy one yourself.

BtbN

Re: 0.60 test build 5

The newest test build contains support for Nvidia NVENC.
In order to use it you either need to set the environment variable NVENC_KEY with a valid nvenc license key in standard GUID/CLSID format, or download a precompiled binary with a license key already built in.

You can download them here:
* Mod Edit: Links removed *
You do not need a special DLL anymore, or download anything extra. All you need to do is install the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Just place it in the same dir as OBS.exe, replacing the already existing one. It's not a plugin, so it doesn't go into the plugins dir.

Keep in mind that this feature is still quite new and experimental, but works fine in general. Any kind of feedback about this is highly encouraged!

You need a Kepler GPU(series 600 or better) to be able to use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.