Question / Help Not able to use second GPU as capture card

diamondpumpkin

I recently got a GTX 1080 that I want to use as my primary GPU and a 1060 that I'd like to use as a capture card. When I go into OBS' settings and select 'GPU 1' for my 1060, it gives me an error saying to check the logs. Doing so results this error: Failed to open NVENC codec: Generic error in an external library.
Using 'GPU 0' just uses my 1080, which I do not want to use to encode. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 2019-03-18 23-09-57.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 6

koala

You will not enhance the performance of OBS by using 2 GPUs. Physically remove your 1060 and you will get the best performance enhancement due to the doubled pci-express performance. If a single GPU is used, the card is driven with x16 pci-express lanes. If 2 cards are plugged in, the lanes are split, so each card is driven with only x8.

diamondpumpkin

You will not enhance the performance of OBS by using 2 GPUs. Physically remove your 1060 and you will get the best performance enhancement due to the doubled pci-express performance. If a single GPU is used, the card is driven with x16 pci-express lanes. If 2 cards are plugged in, the lanes are split, so each card is driven with only x8.
Performance is okay, but I'd like to use the second as the encoder to prevent any hitches.

Edit: Went ahead and unplugged the 1060 just because, cannot record at a decent bitrate. It says the encoder is overload at 50,000.

Last edited: