Non-Global Sources Feature Request

JIaroJIy4

I would love to be able to make some Sources to be "Non-Global", here's my sort-of-issue:
As of now im using latest version of OBS(not MP) in this setup:
im streaming 1360x768@60fps with my 2PC setup with AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD
my typical resolution for "Gaming PC" is 1600x900 which could be captured only @30FPS
to remedy this I setup my games to run at 1360x768 which COULD be captured @60FPS but if i set my capture card as Global I will have to fix my resolution issue everytime with tedious set of actions:
1.Switch Scene (1 mouse click)
2.Enter Capture Card properties and fix resolution issue (takes around 6 mouse clicks or so)
3.Manually stretch/fix resolution (requires precise dragging with mouse and shift-holding)
if i preset Capture Card in Scenes as NON-Global source to fix my resolution issue I just change Scene and OBS does remaining work for me so its only ONE mouse click.
In openly released beta (0.7.3) every source is set as Global it seems(I looked through scenes.json) and to fix my resolution i need to do first 2 points above which I still think is kinda tedious.
So I humbly ask Dev Team to add that feature of making some sources as "Non-Global" for me and (I hope) several other people around who actually use it as "fast reinitialization mechanism".

P.S. Im totally fine if sources are set as global on default, but having that issue would save considerable amount of time

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
So you're saying that any sources you add as global sources don't retain their settings? Does the problem happen only with video capture device sources, or other source types as well?

JIaroJIy4

So you're saying that any sources you add as global sources don't retain their settings?

Just to point out, all sources in obs-mp are global :)

They actually DO retain their settings which is bad for me(and im well aware of them being ONLY global in OBS-MP)
let me explain what I get if I keep Capture Card as "global" source:
I have 2 scenes going on most of the time - 1 for desktop and slow-paced games and 2 - for high-paced games which I which i want to stream/capture @60FPS
in old OBS Capture Card properties look like this:
"Scene 1" - resolution 1600x1200
(it just doesnt have 1600x900 option)
"Scene 2" - resolution 1360x768
Since these resolutions set scene-wise unlike "global source" mode each time I change scene my Capture Card reinitializes and provides me with adequate capture. In "global source" mode resolution options are kept globally across all scenes so if I switch to "Scene 2" my Capture Card will not reinitialize with new settings so to capture 1360x768 games I will have to do actions stated in my 1st post because 1360x768 resolution inside 1600x1200 "scanbox" looks like garbled mess and even WORSE vice versa(and making me do several actions to fix it instead of one click). Thats why I asked if its possible to keep stuff like Capture Card settings scene-wise instead of globally.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
It sounds like you want the Scene Collection functionality from OBS1. That would allow you to keep the capture card as a global source (which really is ideal) and configure it separately for your two scenarios.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Just to point out, the request for the behavior you want isn't really unreasonable or anything, I personally would prefer having the capture card initialize on scene switch as well, I have a similar setup in regular OBS as well, with my xcapture-1 set to different resolutions on different scenes, it would be an incredible pain in the ass to have to adjust the settings manually each time.

For the moment, it's not possible to do, but I do agree that video capture sources should have the option to NOT be global sources.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Does opening the device source and Deactivating/Activating it sort of do the same thing? I know it's not as convenient, but it might work in a pinch as a temporary workaround.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
What you need is not the ability to make sources non-global, but the ability to set new settings when a specific action occurs (such as entering a specific scene). That's totally doable, and something that is planned to be added later on in time.

ThoNohT

Developer
I would however also like the ability to deactivate a source upon leaving a scene (or when a specific action occurs).
A typical use case is if I am on Windows 7, using inefficient monitor capture between games just to show my desktop. When I switch back to a game, I want to disable the monitor capture and work with the fast game capture only.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I was referring to devices, monitor capture and the others already deactivate if they're not being used in a scene.