Question / Help No Video Adapter. Output is black with working audio.

Scoopta

In my video settings I have no Video Adapter. The drop down is completely grayed out and while the preview window works fine the actual stream or file output is completely black with nothing but audio. I'm running Linux Mint 17.1 with an AMD Radeon HD 7870 using the official AMD drivers. I have tried both window and screen captures as well as just putting text on the scene and nothing shows. My log is below.

https://gist.github.com/01ad57ae426a84653c92

Having "Video Adapter" grayed is normal if you have only one GPU for exemple (then no choice to make)

For your real problem, it's not the first time someone got a problem with AMD drivers. If you are using the official AMD driver integrated in Linux Mint, there are 2 things you can try:
  1. Try the opensource driver
  2. Try to get the latest AMD driver via their website (it might be Catalyst Omega 14.12 for your card)

Scoopta

Having "Video Adapter" grayed is normal if you have only one GPU for exemple (then no choice to make)

For your real problem, it's not the first time someone got a problem with AMD drivers. If you are using the official AMD driver integrated in Linux Mint, there are 2 things you can try:
  1. Try the opensource driver
  2. Try to get the latest AMD driver via their website (it might be Catalyst Omega 14.12 for your card)
I'm using the latest driver from their website and the opensource drivers seem to cause me to have unplayable framerates in games. And it's grayed out but it's also blank. It's not just grayed out with a card listed.

OK...so for "Video Adapter", it's normal: it's also grayed & blank for me but everything work.

For your problem, it's pretty strange that preview is working but not recording/streaming...did you get ffmpeg & OBS on your Mint from indicated PPA or did you compile yourself ?

Scoopta

OK...so for "Video Adapter", it's normal: it's also grayed & blank for me but everything work.

For your problem, it's pretty strange that preview is working but not recording/streaming...did you get ffmpeg & OBS on your Mint from indicated PPA or did you compile yourself ?
I used the ppa to install both ffmpeg and OBS. Another interesting thing although this might be a separate issue is window capture is discolored while screen cap looks fine although no matter what they don't output anywhere. Just audio.

Scoopta

SHABAM...I FIXED IT...I'll need to submit a bug report because it was an issue with my scaling settings. Once I set it to do 32 sample down scaling it fixed it. Two of the options work but the default bicubic with 16 samples was causing the issue.

jarco

The solution Scoopta provided was also my own problem. I also use AMD catalyst driver on arch