Bug Report No sound devices when using compiled Linux portable mode (debian)

markmandel

Hey all,

I run a Debian machine, and because the official repositories often has a slower release cadence than OBS, and Snap can have some issues with some plugins, I decided to try compiling from source a go! (Both official repo and snap work with audio, fyi)

When I saw there was a portable build, i was especially happy, because they I could build on my big workstation, and move the final product over to my less powerful laptop.

So I ran the build, as far as I can tell, it ran without issue (installed with browser plugin, which works ). I move the portable build over to my laptop, and fire it up -- at first glance everything works. Except then I realise I have no sound

Looking through my audio devices, none are listed, and looking through the log (full log attached below), I see the dreaded:

error: pulse-input: Unable to get server info !
error: pulse-input: Unable to get server info !

This seems like it's a bug, but if I missed a step somewhere, also appreciate a helping hand.

Attachments

• log.txt
    9 KB · Views: 5

markmandel

...and I just worked out that if I run things in "portable mode" (./obs -p) it looks like everything works.

I'll file a PR to edit the install instructions on GitHub.

markmandel

markmandel

...and the discovery continues. This was actually a permission issue.

I was attempting to give OBS a higher priority than regular processes like so (plus some other scaling features):

sudo nice -n -10 su -c "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.5 ./obs -p" markmandel

If I run obs without the sudo nice -n -10 su -c part, pulseaudio works as expected. What is weird, is that I lifted this from the commands I was running against both the snap and deb package version to do the same thing.

I can change my script to change the nice value after I start up OBS and that should solve the issue.