Question / Help No NVENC Option Available for Encoding with Geforce GT 740M

lavela

Correction as I cannot edit my first post:

I didn't get it to run properly with this method, instead I reinstalled the whole project to test whether everything worked as expected under v26. Everything looks good, only restriction is you cannot use "lossless" quality control. Logs are attached in previous Posts.

Wow, it seems you found a solution for my problem too. OBS didn't recognize or refused to communicate first with my AMD Radeon R7 integrated graphics, and then with a Nvidia 710 card, so I didn't get any encoding option but x264 software, and my streams failed because of CPU % going to 100% and still needing more (I think).

I tried using an old AMF encoder plugin, and the AMD option appeared, but when I used it OBS crashed every time I tried to start streaming.

After that, I installed the Nvidia in the hopes of OBS recognizing it. Just now I'm learning it is blacklisted.

Whats has been frustrating is that SLOBS has recognized and let me use both GPUs with no problem at all, and with excellent streaming results. But I don't want to stream with them, I really want to use only OBS. So, did your solution finally worked ok? If so, would you please guide a newbie to implement your solution?

Salasar

Hi lavela,
First of all please install OBS v22 here the Link to the Downloadpage if you are on a Windows System. Only if it works with v22 is it or could be a blacklist problem. When installing v22, all settings, profiles, and scene collections should be retained, at least that's how it was for me. If you still have concerns, you can export them beforehand to be on the safe side. Please also take a screenshot with GPU-Z of the Nvidia card so that we can see which chipset you have.

lavela

Thanks, Salasar. Installed v22 and finally the NVENC h.264 option appears. I will try to stream something using it and be back to complete the post
1607824422873.png
GPU-Z for my card here

My test was good in the sense that OBS did not crash, and my CPU didn't go to 100%, so I guess the card did some of the job. What I didn't like is that there were like some audio stutters at the beggining of two mp4s that SLOBS doesn't create. So, goodf test, not perfect. Here's the log, hoping this gets me closer to finally using OBS :-):

lavela

Ups, I just saw this at the log :-(

"[obs-browser]: Blacklisted device detected, disabling browser source hardware acceleration."

It seems that my equipment will force me to not use OBS. Really frsutrating and sad for me.

lavela

Hi lavela,
First of all please install OBS v22 here the Link to the Downloadpage if you are on a Windows System. Only if it works with v22 is it or could be a blacklist problem. When installing v22, all settings, profiles, and scene collections should be retained, at least that's how it was for me. If you still have concerns, you can export them beforehand to be on the safe side. Please also take a screenshot with GPU-Z of the Nvidia card so that we can see which chipset you have.
Hi, Salasar. No new developments to solve the problem? Thanks

Salasar

@lavela
Sorry for the late reply,
As i can see, your card is not on the Blacklist, therefore i don't know why it is not working. The Devs ar busy with release of a new version, but they reopened the issue on github, so they will do further research.

lavela

@lavela
Sorry for the late reply,
As i can see, your card is not on the Blacklist, therefore i don't know why it is not working. The Devs ar busy with release of a new version, but they reopened the issue on github, so they will do further research.
thanks a lot. As you can see now, almost complete newbie here :-) I will be checking here to see if there are any news.

lavela

Hi to all again. Just bumping this, because so far I have not been able to solve the No NVENC option to use my GPU to encode, and I keep using SLOBS unfortunately.

Do you know of any not too old version of OBS that could recognize my NVIDIA 710 card and that I could add the multistream plugin too? That's what is keeping me locked at SLOBS for now. Thanks a lot

Uncle Dentist

Hi to all again. Just bumping this, because so far I have not been able to solve the No NVENC option to use my GPU to encode, and I keep using SLOBS unfortunately.

Do you know of any not too old version of OBS that could recognize my NVIDIA 710 card and that I could add the multistream plugin too? That's what is keeping me locked at SLOBS for now. Thanks a lot
Hi Lavela, I'm also a newbie and I had a NVIDIA 710 graphic card on my windows 7 computer. When I used OBS v.22 I saw the NVENC option but it's disappeared on OBS v.26. In any way, when I tried to use it an error message in OBS v.22 was showed. Maybe the reason of that seems that NVENC hardware encoding is unsupported on GT series NVIDIA graphic card (NVENC feature begins on GTX 600 series). This is what I understood.

lavela

same I understood, but strangely I have been using Slobs for some months now and it has allowed me to use the NVENC and when I check the GPU usage it is effectively encoding my video to stream. So I still have the doubt about the idea that the 710 doesn’t encode with nvenc. Strange thing that has prevented me from switching to OBS as it has been my desire from the start