Question / Help No Desktop Sound on Mac

Bingo

I wasn't able to install either WavTap or Soundflower since they're blocked by El Capitan. I tried using iShowU but the guide was confusing and left out some steps so I was left with no sound at all instead of only microphone sound. Anyway, I'm trying to record using a headset with a built-in microphone and getting no desktop audio and was hoping someone could help me. I'm using OBS 0.14.2 and El Capitan 10.11.4.

Narcogen

I'm having trouble with Steps 5 and 6.

5. You say to adjust volume first before switching. How do I do that?

In System Preferences.

6. You say to open System Preferences and go to Sound. What program are you talking about there? There's no System Preferences for Audio MIDI Setup.

No, he means the actual System Preferences, accessible from the Apple menu.

If you're working with an audio device that has no volume controls, like an HDMI port or other hardware capture device, then you can't adjust volume, regardless of where you do it, although you may be able to set the volume for an aggregate device that includes that device. Once you've created that in Midi setup it should show up as an audio device in the Sound tab of System Preferences.

Bingo

In System Preferences.

No, he means the actual System Preferences, accessible from the Apple menu.

If you're working with an audio device that has no volume controls, like an HDMI port or other hardware capture device, then you can't adjust volume, regardless of where you do it, although you may be able to set the volume for an aggregate device that includes that device. Once you've created that in Midi setup it should show up as an audio device in the Sound tab of System Preferences.

Ohhhh okay. Sorry, I'm new to OSX.

Chidorin

//may be this comment also will be helpful to someone

i use ishowu audio capture with audiohijack: just install ishowu (no need to change anything in settings) and set your sound routes in audio hijack, obs set to capture ishowu so what is routed to it in audio hijack to ishowu will be streamed

Narcogen

Is there something that Loopback does that Jack, Soundflower and LineIn (or a combination of two or three of those) can't do?

I ask because all three of those (and OBS) are free, and Loopback is $75.