No Audio Video Capture Device FujiFilm X-T4

Glazierman

Hi.
I am new to OBS and the Forum. I would like to thank everyone in advance for any information regarding the set up of OBS and my Camera X-T4 with the Audio not outputting to OBS?? Not sure, but Desktop Audio works fine, when I click on web pages with audio or YouTube etc., all the audio streams through to my Stream (OBS), in this case I was Streaming to YouTube, but no Audio was present unless I clicked on a desktop audio source on my PC. My Camera outputs audio just fine on it's own, but when connected though FUJIFILM XWebcam 2.1 vs (latest and greatest) and OBS, doesn't seem to be able to output audio via the Video Capture Device.

Any information is appreciated.
Thanks Again.
OBS Forum Post No Audio Video Capture Device.jpg

Lawrence_SoCal

Not sure from yoru description, so just to be double sure

Have you confirmed that outside OBS, that the Fuji xwebcam software supports audio? I know another major camera mfg whose hastily slapped together webcam driver software does NOT support audio
I always recommend getting audio and video working outside OBS (that is, OBS NOT running at all), usually in default OS apps like Win10's video recorder or similar. You could also try a web conference software.
*IF* audio and video working over USB webcam software, then the next thing I'd check is to make sure OS permissions configured to allow OBS access to that signal

Glazierman

Not sure from yoru description, so just to be double sure

Have you confirmed that outside OBS, that the Fuji xwebcam software supports audio? I know another major camera mfg whose hastily slapped together webcam driver software does NOT support audio
I always recommend getting audio and video working outside OBS (that is, OBS NOT running at all), usually in default OS apps like Win10's video recorder or similar. You could also try a web conference software.
*IF* audio and video working over USB webcam software, then the next thing I'd check is to make sure OS permissions configured to allow OBS access to that signal
Thank you for the advice. I'm discovering that my Camera's Software doesn't allow for Web Capture Device Audio signal. I think there are a couple of work arounds, one is to get an external microphone, I think you connect it to the camera, the other is to use a line source signal, perhaps from another recording device, with audio outputs that you either plug a mic into or they already have mics built in like Zoom H6 or something like that... Someone also suggested something like using an HDMI signal fed through a capture device of some type to get a better resolution video image? I don't know, again, new to this and learning how to navigate through it all.
Thanks for replying Lawrence.

Lawrence_SoCal

It is not uncommon for anything but the most recent cameras to have USB2 ports, and those will be quite limited in handling video (ok as webcam with highly compressed/limited video resolution, but not much else.

So, using camera for video only then using other microphone (audio jack plugged into PC, not camera, as noted earlier, audio signal isn't sent over USB in your scenario). Now you could mount the mic on top of the camera and have both USB and audio cable connecting to PC... or mount mic wherever best.
Or, using HDMI, if camera has a clean HDMI output mode, tends to give you full camera system resolution options, and could include audio. But now you add the potential complexity of a HDMI capture device (like so many things, beware the cheap no-name/fly-by-night devices).. but entirely doable. If going this route, be sure to double-check the exact HDMI output specs on the camera (with your version of firmware), and then make sure HDMI capture device can handle that.
And yes, the clean HDMI out (if your camera does such) is likely to be much higher quality image. There are a couple of well-known names in this capture device space (BlackMagic and ElGato, on the high-end Atomos) but you can get much cheaper items that should work. Just consider
- video resolution, framerate and associated required bandwidth (ex 4K at 60fps).
- Your 'capture card' could be a PCIe Add-in Card (AIC) for a desktop or USB. If USB beware bandwidth required for video (and PC industry making complete mess of USB3 naming and associated bandwidth capability, as well as whether computer can handle it (possible USB Root Hub chipset limitations)
- camera settings required to achieve clean HDMI out (you will have to RTFM), and matching capture devices settings
and then have fun

Glazierman

It is not uncommon for anything but the most recent cameras to have USB2 ports, and those will be quite limited in handling video (ok as webcam with highly compressed/limited video resolution, but not much else.

So, using camera for video only then using other microphone (audio jack plugged into PC, not camera, as noted earlier, audio signal isn't sent over USB in your scenario). Now you could mount the mic on top of the camera and have both USB and audio cable connecting to PC... or mount mic wherever best.
Or, using HDMI, if camera has a clean HDMI output mode, tends to give you full camera system resolution options, and could include audio. But now you add the potential complexity of a HDMI capture device (like so many things, beware the cheap no-name/fly-by-night devices).. but entirely doable. If going this route, be sure to double-check the exact HDMI output specs on the camera (with your version of firmware), and then make sure HDMI capture device can handle that.
And yes, the clean HDMI out (if your camera does such) is likely to be much higher quality image. There are a couple of well-known names in this capture device space (BlackMagic and ElGato, on the high-end Atomos) but you can get much cheaper items that should work. Just consider
- video resolution, framerate and associated required bandwidth (ex 4K at 60fps).
- Your 'capture card' could be a PCIe Add-in Card (AIC) for a desktop or USB. If USB beware bandwidth required for video (and PC industry making complete mess of USB3 naming and associated bandwidth capability, as well as whether computer can handle it (possible USB Root Hub chipset limitations)
- camera settings required to achieve clean HDMI out (you will have to RTFM), and matching capture devices settings
and then have fun
Hello again Lawrence.
Wow, you must have gone through some, seemingly, similar growing pains along the way there...
The Fuji X-T4 does have a "Clean HDMI"
Don't get me going on USB nomenclature. One thing I have seen though that's a positive, is that HDMI has some better certifications on their newer, I want to say 8K and above, but I'm assuming again, 4K as well along with Fiber cabling.
I just went down another Wrabbit Whole last evening, looking at the Ninja V +, Zoom F8N Pro, Shure SM7B, Rode NTG-3 and was sold, but then I calculated the conversion on the dollar to CND, and had a moment of realization.
I purposely just built a new PC with latest and greatest protocols, so I could be "Future Proofed" somewhat. USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, Thunderbolt 4 USB C, 2.5/10 Gbps Lan, HDMI 2.1, etc.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I know there are similar products at different price points, and I'll have to budget myself and get the necessary tools for the task at hand, and that is to get some kind of a YouTube Podcast/Live Streaming Studio set up at a reasonable cost, and of good quality.
USB Nomenclature.JPG

Lawrence_SoCal

If you have TB4 (Thunderbolt) then I presume this is a laptop, not a desktop, right?
Assuming laptop, then PCIe AIC isn't applicable. So getting a HDMI USB capture card is most likely what you are after in order to use your existing camera and get the most out of it
Such devices aren't that expensive (most under US$100) so my recommendation is to not overbuy (ie try and get an 8K capable capture card now, as camera isn't capable of that. Capture device will get better over time, so overbuying now on such an item most likely not worth it.. but ymmv). I would however make sure you use a quality HDMI cable meeting at least the spec (ie version) on your cameras' output (or higher). Fiber Optics HDMI cables are typically only needed for long cable runs [not sure exactly at what length, but guessing someone over 6-10ft, maybe a bit longer??? I'd assume by 20/25ft and certainly by 50ft, one should be testing/considering Fiber Optic cable... but I could be totally wrong. I am using 50ft DisplayPort cable (driving 2 monitors using DP MST, but that is unrelated to capture cards)]
My rule of thumb is to figure out specs (ie camera output resolution, frame rate and color range) and then look at cable that meets or exceed that, going by value, so I'll spend a little more to get better to have 'buffer space' and re-usability later, but avoid the 'end-of-the-hockey-stick' where price rises significantly for little extra performance (assuming I don't need that.. ie 8K in your situation)