Question / Help No audio output [MacBook 2018 Bootcamp]

MilesTheCreator

Hi everyone! I've been getting troubles trying to get audio for recording/streaming but I'm not hearing anything.
I'm using MacBook 2018 Bootcamp and in Windows 10.

Microphone is working fine but I can't hear the game/desktop audio at all. I think it has to do something with "Apple Audio driver", I'm not sure.

Solutions I tried so far:
-Uninstalling and re-installing.
-Setting audio output to default and to speakers, I even tried headphones.
-Unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
-Adding "Audio Output capture" on sources.
-Not even OBS classic work.

https://obsproject.com/logs/SRYpZehjKgKpWe2j

Last edited:

Narcogen

Your original post said you couldn't "hear anything" which I interpreted as not getting audio from default device.

If you do hear audio, but it is not in the recorded file, you should check which audio devices are on each track, and make sure you're playing back your file in a media player like VLC to make sure you're really hearing what is being recorded. Are. you recording multiple separate tracks? What devices are assigned to what tracks in the advanced audio settings?

MilesTheCreator

Your original post said you couldn't "hear anything" which I interpreted as not getting audio from default device.

If you do hear audio, but it is not in the recorded file, you should check which audio devices are on each track, and make sure you're playing back your file in a media player like VLC to make sure you're really hearing what is being recorded. Are. you recording multiple separate tracks? What devices are assigned to what tracks in the advanced audio settings?

No, my speakers work perfectly normal. It's the green bar on "desktop audio" that doesn't move.

I did try to solve this and nothing worked.
-I checked the volume
-I checked that the volume isn't muted in volume mixer
-I checked and unchecked audio tracks (every single one)
-I went to Windows 10 settings and control panel
-Checked every setting in OBS
-Went to audio properties and advanced one
-I tried playing in a lot of video playback programs like VLC, Windows Media Player and "Movies and TV" app
-I checked and unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Nothing worked..
This also affects every recording program I used like Fraps, Xslipt and Bandicam.
I even told the problem in OBS Discord and they couldn't help me.

So I ended up using my bluetooth speakers and it worked.

NOTE: It's the "Apple Audio driver" speakers and headphones that doesn't work.

You can see this video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiVQMBFUTT8

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    81 KB · Views: 243
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Narcogen

Do the "Apple Audio driver" devices work for audio output, but NOT for recording? Is that what is set as the default Windows audio output device? If so, does it output sounds to speakers plugged into those ports, but does not work when set as an input device in OBS?

I'm just trying to work out if you've actually got a problem with OBS, or whether this is the same problem I linked to-- that the default Apple hardware audio ports often do not work in Boot Camp with latest Windows 10 installed, and the workaround is to use another physical device-- I suggested USB but it sounds like your workaround is bluetooth.

MilesTheCreator

Do the "Apple Audio driver" devices work for audio output, but NOT for recording? Is that what is set as the default Windows audio output device? If so, does it output sounds to speakers plugged into those ports, but does not work when set as an input device in OBS?

I'm just trying to work out if you've actually got a problem with OBS, or whether this is the same problem I linked to-- that the default Apple hardware audio ports often do not work in Boot Camp with latest Windows 10 installed, and the workaround is to use another physical device-- I suggested USB but it sounds like your workaround is bluetooth.
The speaker does output audio.

Well, I'll just stick with bluetooth speakers for now..

kersplat

I have the same problem, and I'm almost positive it's OBS as it works in PotPlayer. I'm not the best with tech and have watched multiple videos, but nothing is working. I have Windows 10, not apple, but I have no clue what's wrong. Also, it used to work, the first time I used it, by going Video Capture Device > Add > Audio Output Capture, I don't think I've changed anything since then.
Edit: I have uninstalled/reinstalled as well, no results. and the input is working, just not output, I can't hear anything from previous recordings.

MilesTheCreator

I have the same problem, and I'm almost positive it's OBS as it works in PotPlayer. I'm not the best with tech and have watched multiple videos, but nothing is working. I have Windows 10, not apple, but I have no clue what's wrong. Also, it used to work, the first time I used it, by going Video Capture Device > Add > Audio Output Capture, I don't think I've changed anything since then.
Edit: I have uninstalled/reinstalled as well, no results. and the input is working, just not output, I can't hear anything from previous recordings.
That's strange.. If your PC isn't Apple, there could be a possible workaround but I'm unsure how your PC works. Because my Mac has a specific chip that controls audio and it could be the reason.

Jacket

Since this thread is the first result in Google, I came to post my solution.

I'm using a 13" Macbook Pro 2018 and have the exact same issue. Apple's audio drivers are really finicky sometimes, like plugging headphones when there's an active audio application rarely switches the audio automatically to them.

So I found this little gem - https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm.
It creates a virtual loopback cable, so you can connect your output to its input and then use this input in OBS. Here's a simple guide how to loop the input/output - https://www.howtogeek.com/364369/how-to-record-your-pc’s-audio-with-virtual-audio-cable/

Hope that helps anyone with this annoyance and I really hope that Apple and Microsoft will get their sh*t together and fix those audio issues some day.

mw77mw

Since this thread is the first result in Google, I came to post my solution.

I'm using a 13" Macbook Pro 2018 and have the exact same issue. Apple's audio drivers are really finicky sometimes, like plugging headphones when there's an active audio application rarely switches the audio automatically to them.

So I found this little gem - https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm.
It creates a virtual loopback cable, so you can connect your output to its input and then use this input in OBS. Here's a simple guide how to loop the input/output - https://www.howtogeek.com/364369/how-to-record-your-pc’s-audio-with-virtual-audio-cable/

Hope that helps anyone with this annoyance and I really hope that Apple and Microsoft will get their sh*t together and fix those audio issues some day.

You are absolutely the best!!!

I spent like 3 days trying different recording apps and messing with sound options trying to figure this out and it was just a routing problem and that patch cable solved the problem completely!

Thank you!

I was going nuts over it. Especially because I'm the audio guy and couldn't get it to work because I took for granted that audio SHOULD work as game bar was capturing everything.

What I also did is to enable "listen to device" and routed it to headphones (can be routed to speakers as well) and I'm finally able to capture Medal of Honor Allied Assault hahaha

Thanks again you beast!

GravityBeatle

You are absolutely the best!!!

I spent like 3 days trying different recording apps and messing with sound options trying to figure this out and it was just a routing problem and that patch cable solved the problem completely!

Thank you!

I was going nuts over it. Especially because I'm the audio guy and couldn't get it to work because I took for granted that audio SHOULD work as game bar was capturing everything.

What I also did is to enable "listen to device" and routed it to headphones (can be routed to speakers as well) and I'm finally able to capture Medal of Honor Allied Assault hahaha

Thanks again you beast!

Where did you enable "listen to device"? I don't see that option anywhere, and my only problem at the moment is being able to hear the audio and capture it at the same time.