Bug Report No audio in Catalina, can't record streams

Nethartic

I've been tearing my hair out for weeks now trying to get my audio to work :U
OBS can't recognise my mic (both internal and external) or any audio. I usually have OBS pick up my audio through Boom 3D but I have also tried IshowU just to see if it was an issue with Boom. Desktop audio settings only have 'Disabled' as an option in the dropdown - not sure if that contributes to my problem at all?
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 1.11.42 pm.png

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Boom 3D, OBS, and IshowU with no success. I've also installed the latest Catalina update. I've put it down to the OS still being in beta, but wanted to make my problem known so that it can (hopefully) be fixed!

When I try to record my streams I also get the following errror:
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 1.03.34 pm.png

The path is valid and I've always sent my stream files to this folder, so I'm also putting that down to a Catalina bug. (I've had a few other problems with files and file management in the beta)
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 1.03.42 pm.png

Sometimes ( like a 50% chance of it happening) when I start OBS my images will have unloaded and I have to re add them via drag and drop, the browse button isn't responsive at all in any of the settings (image source, recording path, ect) so I have to copy+paste or drag and drop everything. Not a major functionality issue, but kind of annoying. Text and other sources stay, it just seems to be images.

Not sure whether I should just roll back to Mojave or not, since the Catalina release is only a month away anyway???? It doesn't really have any features that jump out at me as important, I'm just lazy :P

Narcogen

No idea what Boom 3D is.

You absolutely do need to have iShowU or similar to capture desktop audio.

OBS doesn't care about the difference between the desktop and mic/aux sources. If you see sources in Mic/Aux, add them there, and they should work.

Nethartic

No idea what Boom 3D is.

You absolutely do need to have iShowU or similar to capture desktop audio.

OBS doesn't care about the difference between the desktop and mic/aux sources. If you see sources in Mic/Aux, add them there, and they should work.

I've had Boom working for like 3 years, it definitely captures audio!
Like I said, no sources at all work :/

ajbaab

So I made the mistake and jumped the gun, I installed the beta before checking if it would work. In the permissions I have observed check marked under audio. However even though I can see audio coming into the channels on OSX Catalina, once I open OBS it no longer shows any audio coming in. *I may have failed to make a backup* So if there are any beta solutions is there anyway I could test it!?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.33.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.33.44 AM.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 784

salaxander

Run OBS from Terminal, with the following command:
/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS
Well, this definitely solves the issue. Can anyone here provide some insight into how to get this working without launching through terminal?

greenhouse

The path is valid and I've always sent my stream files to this folder, so I'm also putting that down to a Catalina bug. (I've had a few other problems with files and file management in the beta) my ip birthday wishes tneb
I generally don't advise people who depend on OBS to work properly with MacOS to upgrade past High Sierra. Above that, Syphon Inject does not work.

Last edited:

Sektenkult

now its october and the error is still not fixed for what does OBS publish than a DMG file for catalina, i dont get it.

I was using a PS3 eye toy (?) cam / Kamera on OBS MAC. Now since I have Catalina it doesnt work anymore.
I was thinking that Apple just quit to support Sony Hardware so I testet another USB mic.
Doesnt work either.
It will be found, it will be displayed but there comes no sound!
Very disappointing to be honest, it startet yet that OBS crash while using a webcam, okay I can live without it, but no mic??

The problem is, you can upgrade a mac without deleting files but you cant downgrade.
Microschrott Windoof did once a great job, it was possible to downgrade from a Win10 back down to 8.0 or 8.1 where it was installed, I remember that possibility.
Apple does many many things wrong in his life!

Narcogen

now its october and the error is still not fixed for what does OBS publish than a DMG file for catalina, i dont get it.

To the best of my knowledge no OBS developer has access to a Mac. This impacts their ability to produce updates. In addition, there are more users of OBS on Windows than MacOS.

I was using a PS3 eye toy (?) cam / Kamera on OBS MAC. Now since I have Catalina it doesnt work anymore.
I was thinking that Apple just quit to support Sony Hardware so I testet another USB mic.
Doesnt work either.
It will be found, it will be displayed but there comes no sound!
Very disappointing to be honest, it startet yet that OBS crash while using a webcam, okay I can live without it, but no mic??

Read the Catalina support thread and download the test build. You may need to launch from Terminal and make sure OBS has permissions to use cameras, microphones, and screen capture.

macOS 10.15 Catalina Support Status

The problem is, you can upgrade a mac without deleting files but you cant downgrade.

This is why it is standard to do a complete backup, preferably with a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, before performing any major MacOS update, because issues like this in the first few months of a new OS version are quite common.

At the very least, if a program like OBS is mission critical for you, it's wise to check support forums for advance notice about such updates, or at least wait awhile to see if other people have problems before updating. The only people truly caught out by the current situation are people who bought new machines that came with Catalina.

Microschrott Windoof did once a great job, it was possible to downgrade from a Win10 back down to 8.0 or 8.1 where it was installed, I remember that possibility.
Apple does many many things wrong in his life!

I can't imagine why anyone would want to downgrade from 10 to 8.1. I can see someone preferring Win 7 and holding on to it long past its shelf date, but come on, 8.1? For what?