Question / Help Mojave Beta + OBS = No Access to webcam/camera

kaliente

Preface: I am not illiterate to OSX or OBS. I know video capture device not display. I know how to access where this is in system preferences in the os.

To those of you not on the Mojave beta basically OSX requires a system prompt in order for specific applications to use your webcam/camera/microphone/system privileges. Although OSX remains as vulnerable as ever anyways it is a somewhat nice function.

Now enter OBS... This program already had system permissions in previous iterations of OSX and so assumes no need to prompt for permission. Unfortunately this causes no feed from the webcam or even facetime camera. So I troubleshooted by uninstalling but this doesn't work either, because when you uninstall OBS it doesn't fully remove itself from the OS. It leaves behind some AppData. I can't seem to find all of it however I doubt it will change anything anyways in the long run.

Basically in it's present state OBS is unusable for me, because I need it to prompt for permission from the os to use the camera. I have not seen a terminal fix for it, and from what I can tell you can't disable this security protocol unfortunately.

TranceBuddha

To remove OBS:
Applications/OBS.app
~/Library/Preferences/com.obsproject.obs-studio.plist
~/Library/Caches/obs
~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio

To reset the Security and Privacy Setting in macOS remove:
~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db

kaliente

I actually reinstalled the entire OS and it made no difference. But it's okay. I will patiently wait for the update :)

I have a Windows partition so I will survive.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
This is a known issue with Mojave, though we don't know why it's occurring. Mojave is supposed to prompt when any application tries to access the microphone or camera, so it should be prompting as soon as OBS tries to access the microphone or camera. There are a few things we are looking into, but since Mojave is still in beta, it may yet be a while before we sort this out.

In the meantime, if you launch OBS from the Terminal, it will apparently ask for permissions there, but the permissions get assigned to Terminal instead of OBS.

TranceBuddha

This is a known issue with Mojave, though we don't know why it's occurring. Mojave is supposed to prompt when any application tries to access the microphone or camera, so it should be prompting as soon as OBS tries to access the microphone or camera. There are a few things we are looking into, but since Mojave is still in beta, it may yet be a while before we sort this out.

In the meantime, if you launch OBS from the Terminal, it will apparently ask for permissions there, but the permissions get assigned to Terminal instead of OBS.

I'm at the moment running OBS version 22.0.0-rc2 on Mojave and can confirm that the issue mentioned has been solved with this release.

jovenmusic

Hola, OBS 22.0.3 (current as of posting) will work if you dip into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility. Unlock to make changes, plus sign icon, add OBS. Don't worry if you don't see OBS in the "Camera" tab now.

Open up OBS, add your camera to a Scene like usual, then you'll see the glorious permission pop-up from OSX. Allow, and then you'll see OBS pop up in the "Camera" tab previously mentioned, now permissioned.

chris kovaz

I'm at the moment running OBS version 22.0.0-rc2 on Mojave and can confirm that the issue mentioned has been solved with this release.
Hello can you tell me what im doing wrong then im on mojave and obs 22.03 and the mic and video dont work. I only updated it from sierra but do i have to reinstall obs maybe is that the issue?

chris kovaz

Hola, OBS 22.0.3 (current as of posting) will work if you dip into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility. Unlock to make changes, plus sign icon, add OBS. Don't worry if you don't see OBS in the "Camera" tab now.

Open up OBS, add your camera to a Scene like usual, then you'll see the glorious permission pop-up from OSX. Allow, and then you'll see OBS pop up in the "Camera" tab previously mentioned, now permissioned.
I tried that and it still doesn't work for me im on obs 22.0.3 and im on obs 10.14 i dunno what my issue is if you can help.

avian

After adding OBS to Accessibility... go into Users & Groups and Allow user to administer this computer... required to restart the computer at this point... login as the same User again... run OBS which accessing mic/cam should give you the prompts for microphone and camera... verify in Security & Privacy that OBS has been added to camera and microphone sections... logout... login as an Administrator (not the original User)... select the original User... remove the ability of your original User to administer this computer... logout as Administrator... login as original User which no longer has admin rights, go into OBS and mic/cam working? Have to click the lock to do some of these steps. Not guaranteeing it'll work for you, but that's what fixed it for me this evening (though I'm tired and maybe I'm dreaming and I'll find it not working in the morning).

avian

The previous assumes the user that runs OBS is not an Administrator; otherwise, is not a potential solution.

TFE

MacOS System Preferences - Security&Privacy - Camera - check OBS. Repeat for Microphone - check OBS. Restart OBS.

xdkingkaix

Hello, I did the above and have it check but yet it still won't work. Any suggestions? I can't get the mic to work through built-in or my blue snowball.

moodyboi

I have a similar problem. OBS is blocking the camera feed for photo booth and I don't how to undo it. I've already reset OBS multiple times but to no avail. I use photo booth for my homework since I am doing hybrid learning at the moment so its kind of a big deal. Anyone know how to fix this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.26.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.26.38 AM.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 29

moodyboi

Strangely enough though, it doesn't block the camera feed on apps like Skype and Zoom for some reason; only photo booth.