Question / Help Newbie setup question

iamoraal

I am having trouble connecting a windows 10 laptop (for camera and audio) via wifi or lan to a linux laptop running OBS. I have installed nginx on the windows machine and got the success page, but can't seem to get OBS to connect to it. Attached is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Attachments

• network setup.jpg
    network setup.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 32

koala

It's not clear what you are actually trying to accomplish. OBS on Linux and nginx on Windows seem reversed to what is common. Native platform for nginx is Linux, and you cannot use nginx to connect to a camera and audio on your Windows machine. Also, OBS isn't a "server". It's a streaming client that connects to a streaming service or streaming server. Usually some public service like Twitch or Youtube, but for local use you can use nginx of course. Making nginx work as local streaming service is a complete science by itself, out of scope in this forum.

iamoraal

Thanks for the terminology correction. I think I have most things figured out. What I can't seem to do is connect my windows laptop camera & audio to the the OBS client on my linux laptop.
"Making nginx work as local streaming service is a complete science by itself, out of scope in this forum." ... probably why I'm having issues. I'm not a scientist. :)

koala

To capture and stream what your laptop camera and audio is recording, you need to run OBS on the laptop.
You still didn't explain what you are actually trying to accomplish. You explained what you did, but not what your goal is. It still seems you don't understand some basic concepts of streaming or recording, so you might have chosen the wrong approach in the first place.

Please explain with non-technical words what you want to accomplish, for example: "I want to record my Windows laptop camera+audio to a *.mp4 video file I can watch later with a media player". Or: "I want to live stream my Windows laptop camera+audio to a local nginx server. I want to connect to this stream from mobile devices in my local home network to see the live video of the camera". Or: "I want to live stream my Windows laptop camera+audio to some streaming service. I want to connect to this stream myself and allow others to connect from anywhere on the internet to see the live video of the camera".

iamoraal

First, I am total newbie at this. We are trying to livestream via facebook live our church service. We have a few devices we want to capture (ie. iPhone, Android phone, laptop). I have the cell phones figured out. The pastor is using a Windows 10 laptop with a USB mic to "capture" his preach. Worship music video is captured using one of the cell phones. Worship audio is fed from the soundboard using a analog to digital converter. I am using a linux laptop running OBS to "feed" FB Live. I can't get the Pastors feed into OBS. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Pastor's at the front of the house, I'm at the back. We have a router (wifi & wired). Hope I've clarified that.

vapeahoy

You'll need visual studio or equivalent compiler for compiling nginx with rtmp, you'll need a new machine to be the server, use the current laptop or whatnot as production tool. But that route is going to go over your head quite fast, and it would take a few pages to explain how to go about it all. Also there's good documentation on that already here.
So i'd just aim for a regular nvencoder setup or heck just buy a mini atem pro and use the encoder on that. Which will buy you 4 hdmi inputs, then with some fancy dongles you could connect your phones over that perhaps.

Your current pipeline chart doesnt account for rtmp, unless you intend to have obs machine be the client and the server. In which case that laptop better be a beast. And it still wouldnt be a good idea due to screen real estate.

The pastor shouldnt need his laptop to just have his usb mic, that should just go directly into obs. Well ideally all audio into a hardware unit where audio can be monitored and thus equalized, added effects, noise level check etc, before into obs.
Put everything into production machine, and from there to encoder. Whether or not encoder is nvidia encoder or an rtmp solution should be carefully considered.
For multi streaming to various services, you have other options then a manual rtmp solution.

koala

Ok, you want to stream to Facebook live.

The easiest setup (and probably the only one you are technically able to achieve) is this: you use one OBS running on a machine on a central location that directly captures all your sources. This machine streams directly to Facebook. No nginx, no intermediate server or service.

What are your original sources?
  • the pastor with his speech (audio)
  • the video of the pastor holding his speech (video)
  • worship music (audio)
  • worship audio (whatever that is - is this the voices of the crowd in the church?) (audio)
  • most church services add text overlays with verses and song texts
You need to capture these sources and feed them to OBS.

I don't know what you intend to capture with your cell phones, but usually you use simple cameras to capture video, simple microphones to capture speech, and often some computer-generated audio in addition.
Cell phones are not suitable capture devices if you need to composite your stream from multiple sources.

So choose a streaming PC capable of running OBS, with a CPU+GPU strong enough to encode the video stream. Connect that machine to the internet with a good enough upload bandwidth (probably 5000-8000 kbit/s).
Get one or more external mics and get one or more external cameras with cables long enough to physically connect to your streaming machine. The cameras can be simple webcams. You can connect more than one cameras. Many also use DSLRs with hdmi capture cards, but that's an advanced topic. Don't use cell phones as remote mics or remote cameras.
Connect the camera(s), connect the microphone(s), connect the soundboard directly to the streaming machine. Add additional sources to OBS, for example text sources for the verses. Create appropriate scenes in OBS and create appropriate audio mixes in OBS. Stream directly to Facebook.

TexasTany

Ok, you want to stream to Facebook live.

The easiest setup (and probably the only one you are technically able to achieve) is this: you use one OBS running on a machine on a central location that directly captures all your sources. This machine streams directly to Facebook. No nginx, no intermediate server or service.

What are your original sources?
  • the pastor with his speech (audio)
  • the video of the pastor holding his speech (video)
  • worship music (audio)
  • worship audio (whatever that is - is this the voices of the crowd in the church?) (audio)
  • most church services add text overlays with verses and song texts
You need to capture these sources and feed them to OBS.

I don't know what you intend to capture with your cell phones, but usually you use simple cameras to capture video, simple microphones to capture speech, and often some computer-generated audio in addition.
Cell phones are not suitable capture devices if you need to composite your stream from multiple sources.

So choose a streaming PC capable of running OBS, with a CPU+GPU strong enough to encode the video stream. Connect that machine to the internet with a good enough upload bandwidth (probably 5000-8000 kbit/s).
Get one or more external mics and get one or more external cameras with cables long enough to physically connect to your streaming machine. The cameras can be simple webcams. You can connect more than one cameras. Many also use DSLRs with hdmi capture cards, but that's an advanced topic. Don't use cell phones as remote mics or remote cameras.
Connect the camera(s), connect the microphone(s), connect the soundboard directly to the streaming machine. Add additional sources to OBS, for example text sources for the verses. Create appropriate scenes in OBS and create appropriate audio mixes in OBS. Stream directly to Facebook.
by a streaming machine, do you mean a video capture card? Is a video capture card necessary to live stream with an external video camera on Facebook Live?

TexasTany

But do a need a video capture card device to do this? Can I live stream on Facebook without it, and just hook up my external video camera to my laptop and go thru OBS to run it????

TexasTany

I'm a newbie and an old lady, we just want to live stream our church services, but we've been doing this with my cell phone and the quality isn't good, so we bought a video camera to get better quality. We've been told conflicting answers about whether we need a video capture device to make this work ....

TexasTany

Assuming that a "streaming machine" is a video capture device, what is a simple one, and where can I find one soon?

TexasTany

I want to record a Sunday Mass with my laptop and external video camera and put it up on Facebook Live
Do I need a video capture device to do this? Or just the external video camera and the laptop?
When I go to Facebook Live settings, the only option that shows is to use the laptop's web cam

Al Monteagudo

We are currently broadcasting our online masses using a laptop, external DSLR (canon 600d) and USB soundcard for microphone connected to our soundsystem mixer. I just found out this forum. We are currently experiencing lags as well as the audio are not in sync with the video. Here our current logfiles. What do we need to adjust in our current setting to optimize our livestreaming. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2020-06-18-06-40-56.txt
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2020-06-18-07-45-59.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 15