Question / Help new version, when?

badgeroni

when we getting a new version guys? seems to have been a long time, and what new features are to be added into the new version?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
A new version is in the works, but we're running into some issues getting it shipped due to the build server being down. To be honest, there aren't many huge new features for Mac in the next release, since most work lately has been preparing for a Windows release.

CoinOP

User was warned for this post
Why bother releasing a Mac version in the first place? it's always most underwhelmed compared to Windows version........

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Sure thing, buddy.

Windows users, particularly those who use encoded capture cards, have been waiting for years for a release that supports their capture cards. Work has still been done on the Mac side, too, and some improvements help both Windows and Mac.

Feel free to use a different program if you're not satisfied.

CoinOP

No I'm not satisfied 'buddy' and I'm allowed to speak my mind without getting a warning. I've been waiting years to have the same functions as the Windows version. Priority is clearly not Mac.

Guess I'm getting banned now for all eternity?

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Stop comparing original OBS with obs-studio, it is a completely different codebase. Windows and Mac are at pretty much the same spot for the rewrite as it is. You've not been waiting for years for the Mac version to have the same functionality as the Windows version, because the multiplatform rewrite has only been in development since October 2013, and the first Windows test version of this was only released today.

If you're going to keep being unreasonable about all this, you will be warned or banned. You could also simply try to understand the situation at hand instead, and apologize for overreacting.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
People who work on and dedicate time to the project such will naturally get defensive and frustrated when they encounter someone saying what you said. No, you're not banned, you're just expressing your frustration, which is perfectly understandable. We haven't added the features back as fast as we like, I admit, though I would ask you to try understand the situation a bit.

To answer that exact question, "why bother if it doesn't have all the features as the original yet"? The answer to that question is quite clearly because people can use it, do use it, and it's usable enough state for many people that it warranted letting people use it. Mac had pretty much nothing. Why would I deny them an opportunity to at least stream their games? If people can capture their games and make basic broadcasts, and now are slowly getting access to more things such as the browser plugin, so why on earth would we say something like "no, you can't use it, we haven't added chroma key yet", or "no, we haven't added hotkeys yet, you can't use it!" to them? I can't help but to feel that would be quite preposterous, and unfair.

I did indeed have to take time to work on the windows side of things for it, but that doesn't mean that mac is 'lower priority' by any means. If I "didn't care" about mac users, why on earth would I even have made the effort to make a working mac version in the first place for people to use? Any time I work on any feature, it delays some other feature. It's completely unavoidable and the only thing I can really do is try to schedule what I should work on next to the best of my ability. I'm not happy with it but it's just the way things are.

As for those missing features, we are putting all those features back in, slowly but surely. Cropping, chroma key, more plugins, better UI, filters, and many more things down the line. You have to understand that this is not a trivial program, and we now support not just one but three operating systems, so it's been a lot of toil to get it back to this point because there was so much operating-system specific code related to efficient capture methods.

Couple all this with bugs and/or design flaws that can and will inevitably crop up on occasion, and it can be a lot of work.

I understand you're frustrated, it's perfectly understandable, I'm frustrated too, I wish I could clone myself (and palana) a couple dozen times just to get it back to parity faster, but I only have two hands, I am a human being and can only do so much per day (which occasionally includes writing unnecessarily long forum posts apparently).

We are not some sort of perfect all-knowing, all-understanding, all-powerful organization, we're just a bunch of human beings, subject to flaws, we're people who love this community, and enjoy making these tools.

Last edited:

CoinOP

Apologies I let my frustration get the best of me. I'm not ungrateful for OBS OS or the time invested by any means.

@Pailbox: it was just a figure of speech.....

I'm well aware of the time-consuming factor of coding programs. Hence my rather poorly formulated remark: Why bother releasing a Mac version in the first place? Read: Why not focus on one platform and make that the best it can be? But you've already answered that and beyond.....

Why was I frustrated rightfully or not: I was anticipating the "new version" until you mentioned that not much will be added actually. Lurking the site almost on a daily basis for the " new version" this was not something I wanted to hear.

I am free to use another program when not satisfied, unfortunatly the other program is not free. I wish I've known that before Black Friday, Cyber Monday or the Holiday sales after that.

Again apologies....

ZeroLabs

As a Linux user I am deeply grateful to have ANYTHING in my hands that completes my divorce from anything with a microsoft label on it. I too wait anxiously for each new release to have something new in it for me but know much better than to be making demands of others who toil on these projects out of the goodness of their hearts and little more. If I had the skills to contribute to the coding of this software I would gladly pitch in. Unfortunately I do not but I can contribute in other ways by donating and blogging about the project every at opportunity. Thank you for all that you are doing!

Z

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's no problem.

You might have misread; mac will be getting new features. In fact, all version will be getting a *lot* of new features. It's just I had to finish up the windows-specific capture methods, which took approximately two months. Now that those are complete, I'm writing the features that will work on all systems.

Also I should mention that I do have a new mac version queued up, but the problem is that our build server is down, annoyingly, and I'm unable to really release it until we get that sorted. I was hoping the build server would be up yesterday but it's still down (and driving me crazy). I might start just releasing intermediary test builds just for people to use on fosshub or something.

Don't worry, you will be getting new features now. It's pretty much all new features from here on.

ZeroLabs

I notice the GIT builds are up to 7.2. I'm using the unstable PPA but my version reports "0.6.4-65-g56899df (linux)". Is this an oversight? Or should I be compiling from source to get the very latest?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The build server is down right now, so PPA builds are not updated yet. If you want the latest, you'll have to build from source for now. We're working on getting the build server back up.

keybounce

Let me just say this: I am *glad* that you are making a cross-platform version of OBS. I am *glad* that this includes Mac support. I will be *gladder* when the cross platform OBS (currently, what, 3 months old?) has as many features as the many-year old windows-only, but I am happy now.

ZeroLabs

The build server is down right now, so PPA builds are not updated yet. If you want the latest, you'll have to build from source for now. We're working on getting the build server back up.
I will DONATE a server if that will expedite matters.

If I already have a previous version installed via the PPA, is it safe to compile without uninstalling? Does it overwrite the old? Create a parallel install somewhere else? Or should I purge the old first?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Donating a server won't help, we're just waiting on a new SSD to arrive. Thanks for the offer, though. :)